“This place is great for families”

Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Queensbury
Nanuet, New York
“This place is great for families”
Reviewed May 2, 2011

I booked before looking over the reviews at Trip advisor and I have to say I was very worried, some reviews were scary. I do know some people are more picky than others, I tend to be on the picky side, but this place is great. I took into consideration advise that I read here. So here's my review and some points, I hope it answers some questions.
This place is great for families. I sometimes feel people who don’t have children judge. Not all kids are loud and out of control. Am glad we found a place my kids can be just that kids.
1) Check in - Arrived @ 5:30, check in was a breeze & was even asked a preference in room floor. Staff was courteous and very friendly. They explained activities and hours of operation of the park and the restaurants. LOVED that everything is connected. You really don't have to leave the hotel at all if you don't want. It's a plus that you don't have to go outside to change or even use the bathrooms at the park to change, you can just go to your room. LOVED THIS!
2) I requested the first floor, was given RM 127. Close to the front desk and lobby. The room was very, very clean. Trust me, am one of those that do a complete clean room check and it passed. I always bring Lysol anyway, I sprayed everything anyways. The bed was comfortable. The pillows are too big for my taste, but I managed. The only negative thing I have to say is that the doors are too heavy and the slam loudly. Some people are not mindful of others and they let the door slam behind them at 6 am. I guess the hotel can't really tell people to mindful of others, so I don't blame them for that. Some people are just loud. The second night of the four, was crazy! There were a bunch of teens and it felt like the ceiling was going to fall on us. Called the front desk, it really didn't help. I put on the fan on high to drown out the noise it helped. You can hear the people next door turn on the shower and flush, but that's about it. It really depends on who you get next door. We were blessed with the neighbors, but unlucky with the room, because since it's the first floor we could hear everything and everyone on the hallway.
3) The park is great. It's not that big, so you will be able to do everything in a few hours. So know that you have to do the rides over and over, if not, you will get bored. Pace yourself and take it easy, this place is for kids/teens. And even you are a kid in heart, as an adult, there's not much for you to do. Be a kid and do everything. Go on everything!! The place is wet, it's a water park! There were something's I saw I hated, like band aids on the floors, ewww!! but there's so much chlorine in that water, trust me it will sanitize you. LOL
The slides are great, the lazy river wonderful, the kiddie pool very nice. The water on the kiddies pool are warmer than the rest. The water could be warmer on the rest of the park, but you will get over it.
4) Take some towels if you like. The towels are very small, big enough for a toddler, but a big girl like me needs a little more, so I took towels for my husband and I.
5) The restaurant/grill in the park is expensive and the food is not that good, so it's really up to you and your taste.
6) Don't get a locker if you are staying at the lodge, it's a waste of money. Buy a water proof wallet, you can hang from your neck at the gift shop. Wallet 4.99 for the whole stay, locker 10.00 per day. Not wise at all, save some money for Johnny Rocket.
7) The restaurants. Tall Tavern was closed the whole time, so can't say anything about it.
Johnny Rocket, was ok. The servers were very nice, the food just ok, but expensive. We went to the olive garden, spent less, eat better. Is my recommendation that if you can eat someplace else. You will eat better for cheaper. Burgers and fries are ok for lunch, but for dinner I don’t agree, but I do see the convenience of never having the leave the hotel if you don’t want too. The arcade is fun, a little expensive, but what arcade isn't.
8)There's plenty eat outside of the park. There's plenty of stores, shops and restaurants, right on RT 9. Going south or north, you will get plenty of things, from Wal-Mart supercenter to the outlets.
The outlets are ok, is not a big place. I counted 30 stores if not mistaken. JCrew and nine west the best!!
9) I think this is the most important tip! Go during the week if you can, specially is school is in session. The water park is not that big, during our stay the park in my opinion was close to empty. There were enough people, but not packed at all. I spoke to a greater at the front desk and she told me that the week before (spring break) was a crazy, packed week. So if you can try to go during the week.
10) Go with an opened family orientated mind, there's plenty of kids everywhere, all the time.
11) For a good deal go to the lodge website and look for their promotions/deals. sign up for the newsletter and upcoming deals. We paid 149.00 per night (thats 179.33 including taxes). Not bad comparing to the Wolf Lodge for 300 a night.

Have fun and I hope my pointers help.

Room Tip: lodge website and look for promotions/deals
9 Thank cortavediva

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Rochester, New York
Reviewed April 19, 2011

We stayed two nights with our 9 month old twins. They loved the kiddie area, especially the swings. The rooms were spacious and clean. We comfortably fit two "pack and plays" in the room and had room to move around, make up bottles etc.
However, on Saturday night, a local high school's prom was held at the lodge. EXTREMELY loud music shook the walls until 11 pm. We could recognize every single song, and the bass was horrible. When I spoke to someone at the front desk, I was told there was nothing that could be done. Many of the guests were disrupted by the music and complained in the lobby the next day. Call before you book and ask if there are any special events scheduled for the dates you plan to go.
The restaurant buffet served only pasta dishes for adults and seemed overpriced. I would recommend the Log Jam restaurant, 1 mile from the lodge. Great food and good prices.
The lobby area had a warm, welcoming atmosphere. We did not need to wait at all to check-in but we arrived around 9 pm.
We had a great time, despite the loud music.

2 Thank july10r
North Westchester, Connecticut
Reviewed April 13, 2011

Great little area for toddlers... safe and fun. There is also a little tubing ride for all ages. My senior citizen mother and my two year old had a blast. There is an arcade that all kids love. Typical food that you expect at parks such as this. Went during the off time. Not too crowded. Just great clean fun. Seeing my son having such a good time was worth it. Great accomodations with a very comfortable bed.

Connecticut
Reviewed April 6, 2011

The reviews were accurate when it comes to checking in. We arrived at 4:10 and had to wait until 5:00 to get our room. We were happy with the spacious room. Pillows need help but the bed iteself was comfortable. Stayed on 2nd floor and kids running up down hall way until 11:00 p.m. so if you have very young children request to stay on 3rd floor otherwise the second floor may be very noisy when putting young children to bed. Went to Johnny Rockets for dinner at 8:10 what a nightmare this was. Didnt get served until 9:00 p.m. Lots of folks who called in orders were standing in line and there orders hadn't even been started yet. Very unorganized. We did return for breakfast for my grandson's sake and that was a very good experience. Won't go back again during the winter months.

2 Thank SparkyConnecticut
New York
Reviewed April 4, 2011

We arrived on Friday at 10 am and our room was ready (even though check in isn't until 4pm). We were able to drop off our bags and head to the waterpark. Very little people due to the impending April 1 snowstorm that never happened. Our room was great. We reserved the traditional but was given a room with two double beds and a pull out couch. Beds were great (memory foam). Staff was always wearing a smile. We had a great time celebrating our daughter's 12th birthday.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed April 3, 2011

We arrived at the Great Escape during a slow period and only one restaurant was open. We stayed two nights and ate super-expensive burgers the whole time. The staff was very friendly and the youth activity organizers were really great with our kids. However, arts and crafts activities were extra charge and we were not informed of this until after the kids were done with their crafts.
At the waterpark, the water was uncomfortably cold and my kids, aged 3 and 5 did not want to go in the water. Once we took a dip, we were shivering the rest of the time. The park could benefit from a wave pool or some kind of properly heated swimming pool where the entire family could just hang out together. Also, dress warmly before you leave the waterpark because the lobby leading to the doors is NOT heated. If you're in your bathing suit, you will freeze (which we did).
There was a hot tub area for adults only which means couples have to go in individually while one watches the kids. All activities require parental supervision.
The best part of the experience was the nightly storytime wth Scooby Doo. I recommend this place for families with kids aged 7 and up.
The room was decent except the mattresses were just soft blocks of foam. Very uncomfortable.
Overall, I would go to another indoor water park next time.

Syracuse, New York
Reviewed March 25, 2011

We were a little concerned after reading some of the reports noting bed bugs (having just gone through lice with our kids). We spoke to the management who personally booked our room as well as had 4 other staff members meticulously check our room. I checked it myself as well and all of the beds (there were 3 queens as we were in a suite) had new matresses and everything looked spotless. We took some extra precautions, but would do that any where these days given the likeliness of bed bugs these days. All of the staff from house keeping all the way to upper management were extremely accomodating and friendly. We overall had a great time and would definitely go back.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Queensbury
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lake George (Queensbury)
Holiday Inn Resort Lake George
#16 of 89 in Lake George
Red Roof Inn
Red Roof Inn
#3 of 11 in Queensbury

Been to Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark? Share your experiences!