“Had a Great Mini Vacation, Would Go Back.”

Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Queensbury
Reviewed November 4, 2007

We stayed here for 2 nights last year because it is a short drive (about an hour) from where we live, and we wanted to escape the harsh winter and go swimming.

We took our 3 kids, and they had a blast. All of us went on the water slides and enjoyed it a lot, especially considering the real weather outside.

My youngest child really enjoyed the Looney Toon characters that walked around, told bedtime stories, and took pics with her. All the kids had fun in the arcade.

We found the staff at the hotel to be very helpful and accodomating except for the staff at the main restaurant.

Definitely eat somewhere else, the food is way overpriced and very odd considering it is a family hotel ( no real kid foods) I saw duck and other fancy foods and was surprised that there weren't things like chicken fingers, nachos, etc. They do have more typical foods in the snack bar but it's not open late and it's not that great anyway.

I'd recommend the place across the street, Old Post Grill, very good food, quick service, and much more friendly waitress.

Also the room was new and clean, but walls were extra thin, bring earplugs if you expect to sleep. I heard a baby crying all night from the room behind me. Also the pillows are horrible, too thin and soft, I would recommend bring pillows from home if you like a supportive one.

But despite the negatives, it's a fun place, great for the kids, not terribly expensive, we spent appox. $800 total including food, in our 3 day, 2 night mini vacation. We will go back this winter most likely for another little escape from the snow. I would never spend my money and stay here any other time of the year, though, unless it was the dead of winter. And in the winter there is not much else open for business in the area, so a long stay is not advisable, or you will get bored.

Hope this helps!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank albanycouple1234
There are newer reviews for Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark

Reviewed October 16, 2007

After a long days work , a two hr ride and a 7pm check in ... i was not happy to find the hot tub was closed on a fri night... then when it did open only half of it was working. Only one of the 4 slides rere open at any given time ,,,on fri,sat,and sun..with food and all it turned out to be a thousand dollar weekend for a family of four and at that rate i feel we should have been able to do every thing at any time , not be subject to short staffing and rotation of help to open up one area at a time.

Stayed: September 2007
5  Thank pmyvt1964
Reviewed September 8, 2007

We were pleasantly surprised upon our arrival to the Lodge-Our room was ready at 1PM on Friday afternoon-we had been prepared to wait until check-in time later in the day. The room was spacious, with 2 queen (or possibly full) beds, a small divider wall to separate a pull out couch with a table and chairs. i adored the Adirondack decor, and entertainment unit that included a fridge and microwave.

We decided to go out to lunch prior to entering the water park. We ate at a great restaurant-The Log Jam. Then returned to begin our water adventures. The kids loved all aspect of the water park. My ten yr. old even waited in line, for at least 20 min. each time, for a 30 second jaunt on the surf simulator. I was perfectly comfortable in the Lazy River, but gave some of the slides a try. The kids did not want ot leave for dinner and I was quite leary of trying the offerings available at the park. We decided to drive to Wal Mart and got some frozen dinner to heat up in the room, very affordable and everyone was happy. I would recommend this value since the kids don't really want to leave anyway. My ten year old maintained her interest until they closed the park at 10PM-I simply waited patiently in an adirondack chair for her. Of course my husband and 7 year old returned to the room and went to sleep by 8:30-

We re-entered the park in the morning for an hour or so but neede to check out by the designated time-

We were all very satisfied with our trip but honestly my husband and I can't imagine why anyone would want to stay at the Lodge for any longer than one night-It was fun but how long do you really want to go on the same rides day after day.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank Eager1-Traveler
Reviewed August 28, 2007

Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights and my kids 5 and 7 enjoyed the indoor water park, however the water is too cold and the water park is little too small. We stayed in great wolf with much better experience.

2  Thank yantaml
Reviewed August 28, 2007

I was very nervous after some of the reviews but, we recently stayed at the Great Escape Lodge for 3 days (8/23-8/26) and had a wonderful time. My daughter is 7 and loved the indoor waterpark and also the arcade. I would agree that two days is probably enough at this waterpark as it is not huge and we all had enough after 2hrs each day (except maybe my daughter:).

I found the staff in the hotel to be very nice and very accomadating. They let me change my hotel package at the last minute without a hassle. They brought us fresh towels when we asked and the rooms were very clean. One fly for us too, very strange. Our room was $269 one night and a package the other two nights for $259 each. Check rates and packages online.

The food in the hotel was surprisingly very good. We ate at both the more expensive Trapper's Restaurant (service was slow) and the less expensive bar restaurant on the first floor. Both places had friendly waiters/waitresses and they were priced reasonably. I preferred the bar restaurant.

I had a hot stone massage in the spa and it was fabulous.

Two other restaurants in the area we went to were Sutton's Marketplace right down the road for lunch and it was great! I highly recommend them. The Silo we went to for breakfast and it was a neat store and the food was just ok.

If you like miniature golf the Pirates Cove close by was new and very nice. Goony Golf we did not like and seemed very old and outdated.

Hope this review helps someone. All the other reviews were very helpful to me so hope I can pass it along. Enjoy your trip!

5  Thank scrunchie3
Reviewed August 25, 2007

Family of four, (kids 8&6) two nights on a weekend just before Labor Day. AAA rate was 297+ tax, expensive for this level of hotel, but we thought we'd try it. The room base cost is 209 to 329 based upon occupancy to accomodate for the water park admittance. We booked a room with 2 queen beds and a tiny sofa at the window that allowed us to put the kids to bed with a little more ease than a plain two bed room would provide. Basic hotel room with safe, microwave and small fridge in-room (nice touches).

We experienced ONE fly in our room but basically clean; however the cable TV and internet went out due to a storm on the first day. The second day we put the "Make up room early" on the door and went into town to see the sights, returning at 4pm to the water park and the sign was still on the door- no maid service yet.

My wife asked the cleaning staff (who were working on the floor) to attend to our room and it was later that afternoon.

As far as the water park goes, we enjoyed it, but felt it was geared to a younger crowd with fewer expectations. This is no Splish/Splash; there are two tube rides which are fully enclosed (as they travel outside) and as a result are "dark" rides. The ambling creek was most of our fun/activity, you don't have to use an innertube and it can be great tp swim as depths travel only from 2'-8" to about 3'-6". Be warned it is made of rough stone & concrete and we all ended up with cut/bruised feet as a result of swimming without the tubes- our fault, but definitely tough on the kids. The most fun for my older daughter & myself was the boogie board/wave surfing which had a long wait but was well worth it.

The onsite food prices were not bad, but the food is theme park style. Low end, mostly fried, any sandwich+fries is $3.95 and a slice of cheese pizza is $2.25, not terrible by any standard. But the humidity in the water park definitely affects the quality of food.

I think the value of this hotel is greater if you have smaller kids (under 9) who love to swim and adore the Warner Brothers' cartoon characters that roam the hotel. We waited (and waited) for the slow elevators with the Tasmaniam Devil, were greeted by Marvin the Martian and briefly attended storytime with Daffy Duck. When the kids were much younger, the mealtime with characters was their favorite thing; at Lake George it was Adventure Golf, horseback riding, then the water park. But it's a good alternative vacation plan and is certainly convenient in many ways.

Two nights were plenty here for us, we spent only two hours per day at the indoor water park and needed other activities to keep us interested.

Staff were largely helpful and polite while young and obviously tired. We did not expect theme park teenager staff, but this makes sense- I could find very few employees who looked over 18. Still, they did a pretty good job.

If you approach this site with mediocre expectations, you'll be pleasantly suprised. It's no four-star hotel, but we found it fun, clean, and while pricey, a good trip. That seemed to be a common concensed from others around us- all families, all middle-class Americans with kids of varying age. The location provides so many options that the Lodge is a solid choice in many ways.

Last thoughts- we used the stairs and parked near them instead of waiting for the elevators, and preferred to eat off-site for less expensive, better quality food.

Stayed: August 2007
3  Thank YaleDad
Reviewed August 23, 2007

We grabbed the only available room last week, not knowing what to expect after the mixed reviews here. Total with food was almost $350, so not cheap, but really a lot of fun for us and our boys. We found the rooms, waterpark and common areas to be clean and well-maintained and the service to be very sweet. Room was large, a bit dark, but well-furnished. Food was so-so, but did the job of keeping us fueled. Bedtime stories (this night with Tweetie in attendance) were a very sweet touch we'll remember. We also saw Daffy and Yosemite Sam.

Our 1-year-old spent hours in the toddler pool. The 4-year-old was a bit braver and did more water play and the lazy river several times. Check-in time is 4 p.m., but incoming guests can enter the waterpark at 12. The next morning, you can play until check-out at 11.

We're already planning a trip back in the late fall.

2  Thank dawneg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Queensbury
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lake George (Queensbury)
Holiday Inn Resort Lake George
Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center
Clarion Inn & Suites
Clarion Inn & Suites
#22 of 89 in Lake George

Been to Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark? Share your experiences!