“Shame on me twice... no third time”

Old China Buffet Corporation
Ranked #84 of 111 Restaurants in Queensbury
Cuisines: Chinese
Queens, New York
“Shame on me twice... no third time”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

In my last review of the Old China Buffet, I swore we would never return. Decided that every place deserves a second chance. BIG mistake. July 4th weekend... should be busy and good, or so we thought. Place was once again virtually empty (bad sign for a buffet) and exactly the same as last time. Very scant offerings, no table service and very salty food. Food was still being refilled regularly, but with nothing you would expect from a $14 buffet. No ribs on a bone, no dumplings, no dim sum,... just loads of chicken and fish. There was a beef/broccoli and pepper steak dish, but both were definitely substandard. Who knows, maybe coming from NY City where we have some of the best places to eat in the country, we get spoiled and expect the same from others. The clincher was that dad and I could not fall asleep until almost 1am on Friday morning because we just didn't feel well after eating at this buffet. Next time, we will definitely go elsewhere... hopefully where parents and owners do not allow the children of guests to roam about the place and eat from the serving trays.. but that's another story in itself.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank MariosDaddy

Gansevoort, New York
“For buffet...pretty good”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I like going to china buffet with family and friends. Some of the waitresses are not as friendly as I would like, but the food is always fresh and hot.

• Visited March 2013
Lake George, New York, United States
“Delicious Take Out”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

This is the only Chinese Restaurant that I have found in upstate NY that correctly prepares, cooks and sautes "Beef With Oyster Sauce", one of my favorite dishes when completed to excellence. Their Sesame Chicken is also very deliciously prepared yet slightly nontraditional, as compared to other Chinese restaurants. Their dish has a unique overtone to the expected sweetness, which envelopes your palette with an array of flavors including a slight detection of ginger as well as soy.
Overall, the food is exceptionally prepared and the flavors you expect to encounter are all there.
The staff is polite and courteous and your food will be ready for pick up in about 15 minutes from the time you make your phone call to place your order.

• Visited November 2012
Queens, New York
“Average at best”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stopped by here on a Friday night at around 7:00pm for dinner with dad. Place was crowded so I figured it must be good. There is absolutely no table service (except to pick up dirty dishes), not even for your drinks, which can pose a hardship for seniors who use a cane to get around. Food was constantly being refilled but the offerings were scarce. Typical offerings (ribs, fried rice, lo mein, General Tso's, chicken with broccoli, pepper streak..) but for a dinner buffet we expected to find a greater choice, especially when it comes to appetizers. There were plenty of mozzarella sticks and pizza (Chinese??) but no dumplings, dim-sum, shrimp toast. Fried wonton and egg rolls were all they had as typical Chinese appetizers. Dad thought the food was a bit on the greasy and salty side as well. Next time we're in the area we'll skip the Old China Buffet.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank MariosDaddy
Narrowsburg, NY
“Stale, Cold, Greasy”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

.The Lake George area is known for its natural beauty and not its food so I don’t expect four star cuisine anywhere in the area. The reviews of Old China Buffet in Queensburry were mixed but I figured I would give them a try for a quick and inexpensive meal. I am not an expert on Chinese-American food but I did grow up 3 blocks from Chinatown in NYC and have eaten Chinese food at least once a week since I was a baby, fifty something years ago. This is a no frills buffet that even has pour your own drinks. Once you pay your money at the counter you are pretty much left on your own. We visited the Old China Buffet on Sunday 9/2/12. There were only about 20 people in the restaurent when we arrived and it was about 2 hours from closing. We paid our money as we entered and were told to sit anywhere. when we went to the buffet tables the first thing I noticed was a microwave next to the soda machine It quickly became evident why it was there. Cold, greasy food that seemed like it had been in the steam pan all day long and never changed out. There was actually a crust on some of the food and some items were stuck to the bottom of the pan. The so called sushi was stale, warm and crusty and the ginger in the adjoining pan was in a soup of juice and almost fermenting. My wife and I always start out with a bowl of soup. I had some egg drop and my wife just had chicken broth. The egg drop soup was so old that the custard was broken and it was like water. My wife put the spoon of broth up to her lips and immediately started gagging, spit it back out and reached for her water. She scrunched up her face and said “it’s so salty”. I tried it and it was saltier then pure soy sauce. It was obvious that they did not add any water to their canned concentrated broth. She went up and told the owner who tested the broth and immediately took it back to the kitchen. He returned a few minutes later and brought my wife a fresh bowl of broth, apologized and said it was salty because it sat out too long and evaporated. Go figure! The rest of the food was just as bad and we were just about to leave when a large group came in. The kitchen staff quickly brought fresh? food and I went up for some more. The food was hot but just as stale and old tasting as the food that had been out in the bins. We left hungry and looked forward to breakfast the next morning.

• Visited September 2012