“THANKSGIVING GREATNESS”

Bavarian Manor Country Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 3 Purling B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 2, 2010

We spent 4 wonderful days enjoying the greatest food and hospitality . It felt like home away from home. The staff was excellent and the service was only outdone by the chef's culinary skills. The trip was like visiting family. In the morning a full breakfast that fills you till dinner.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Bavarian Manor Country Inn & Restaurant

Reviewed September 21, 2010

The Bavarian Manor is a wonderful place to spend time with friends and meet new friends. I go there about once a month to enjoy their excellent food, bar, atmosphere, and hospitality. The owners, Sue and Stan, are always out in the bar or dining room ensuring that their guests are enjoying themselves. Friday nights there are wonderful... they put out a spread of complimentary Hors d'Oeuvres and finger foods that are simply delicious. I stayed in one of their rooms 2 years ago and the room was clean, cozy and charming. I have seen 2 negative reviews here on Trip Advisor, apparently from the same people; they seemed to expect a 5 star luxury hotel. If that is your expectation then this isn't the place for you. If you are looking for a charming place nestled in the woods with good hosts, good people in the bar, and excellent food then you will have a great time if you go there!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 31, 2010

At first, this property seemed quite lovely -- an old and stately mansion with a large porch for sitting and watching the time pass and a cozy lobby conducive to relaxing and socializing. That would be fine if you didn't have to go to your room!
We stayed in a family "suite" on the third floor which needs to be gutted and totally updated. I love quaint -- this was old and rundown. The entire room was on a slant; the air conditioner was so loud we couldn't sleep - we shut it but couldn't leave the window open since there were no screens to prevent bugs/animals from coming in; molding in the room was falling off; door was difficult to open and lock; and worst of all, the bathroom was disgusting. It was the size of a closet, peeling, and stained in many places. When my son was taking his shower, the water was coming out black. We paid $200 for the night and it wasn't worth it at all. We would have been better off staying 20 minutes away in one of the chain hotels in Saugerties.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank ShopBread
Reviewed August 15, 2010

Nice looking place from outside. Inside it looks like a huge garage sale thats smells like an old moldy basement. The Room smells even worse. Reading the history of the partiality explains this odor. It is the water they use from the local spring. It has nasty smell and looks dirty. The Room has a strange layout. In a middle the was a sink with a mirror above it. Floor is uneven. Very strange, feels like half of the room 20 inches lower. Small old TV. Loud air-conditioner. Decor from the same garage sale style. Very unpleasant. Like if you sleep in a dumpster. Smell make it more real. The worst was two beds making very loud sounds as soon as you sit on them. Three of us debated why the mattresses makes this noise and it was fun. But sleeping on it were a real nightmare. And cold shower with a smelly water complied our stay in this place. Breakfast was OK if you like to eat 3 eggs.
All those luxury cost us $200. I travel all over the world and this place was the most awful experience i had for the last 15 years. Complete rip off.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2010

We stayed here while attending the Grey Fox Bluegrass Festival. The place has a lot of history, which we like and a great wrap-around porch that is perfect for reading or just relaxing. We got a fairly small room, but it was comfortable. Breakfasts were huge and tasty, we had trouble eating the whole thing. The restaurant is known for German food and we did get to eat there one night. Had 2 different snitzel dishes and both were fantastic. My wife used to live in Austria, so she was loving it. The owner was very laid back and friendly and if you hang out at night you'll get to chat with the locals at the bar.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2010

We just got back from our stay up there and we already miss it! Not only was this the perfect place for a quiet and peaceful weekend away from the city but the Inn is clean, super comfortable, and the food in the restaurant awesome.

The moment I walked in there, I felt like I was transported to a gentler, simpler, and more welcoming time. The German American ambience made it feel like I went back in time into my German immigrant ancestor's living room and kitchen. Very nearby is a great German beer hall that had a live umpah band, more great German food and beer, and great polka dancing! I had no idea such a German area of the Catskills still existed!!

Some reviews complain about non-stylish bathrooms and smaller rooms, but I don't go on vacation to hang out in the bathroom or to spend all day watching TV. Each room was unique in decor and each had a very "homey" feel to them.

The icing on the cake was the ease with which we were able to meet other people staying there, some of whom have been going back for FOUR(!!) generations. It was also nice to see some other younger couples (we're both 29) up there, even if most were older. The other icing on the cake was that they had Dinkelacker beer on tap, of course. Finally, it's also very near to East Durham, which is in the "Irish Alps" of the Catskills, and we enjoyed poking around there quite a bit as well as going to nearby Thomas Cole's historic house. The places in East Durham did not look nearly as nice to stay in as did the Bavarian Manor, however.

So go up there and have a great weekend! I can't wait until my next stay up there!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2010

When we arrived at the Bavarian Manor we were greeted by the Inn Keeper who was very nice and told us all about Inn. When she checked us in she said that we can look at any of the open rooms at the Inn and we did, which was fun. After looking at all the rooms and we decided to change rooms from the one we had to another one where the fire place was facing the bed and the Inn Keeper was happy to accommodate us.

We had dinner in the restaurant which was very good, my boyfriend had the veal which was awesome and we even enjoyed a desert. The next morning we had breakfast in the dinning room and it was again delicious. The Chef cooked what ever we wanted and the fruit and muffins were a hit. This was my first time at a B&B and I truly enjoyed the experience and the company I was with. I would highly recommend staying a night or the weekend at the Bavarian Manor. I would love to go back and enjoy some cocktails on that wrap around porch.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Purling
Blackhead Mountain Lodge and Country Club
#2 of 3 in Round Top
Riedlbauer's Resort
Riedlbauer's Resort
#3 of 4 in Round Top

Been to Bavarian Manor Country Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!