“Disappointed”

The Artist's Palate
Reserve with OpenTable
The Artist's Palate is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 278 Restaurants in Poughkeepsie
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: A 70 seat American-Fusion Restaurant, the only one in the area using truly local ingredients and changes thier menu every two weeks based on the availability of products. Both the beer menu and wine list are extensive and reasonable. As well one of the only restaurants that say if we don't have we will do our best to get it for your reservation.
Westchester, NY
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

We went to the restaurant last night and our meal was disappointing. Everything we ordered was lacking seasoning. We asked for salt and that didn't even work. My husband had to remove the top to season his food. Definitely will not be going back.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank ccanale
artistspalate, Owner at The Artist's Palate, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Hello!
We want to thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent experience with us. It is feedback like yours that help us improve our business. We are sorry that you did not enjoy your meal and would have liked if you had mentioned something while you were here. We try our best to accommodate all of our guests and your happiness is our first concern. If you had mentioned to us your unhappiness with your food we would have gladly fixed it or made other accommodations for you. W e would appreciate a quick phone call to discuss your experience further at 845.483.8074. Again, we appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback on your experience and have talked with our culinary team in order to prevent further issues from arising.
Warmest Regards,
Megan Fells
Co-owner
The Artist's Palate

Nashville, Tennessee
“A Gem!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

I must disclose that I have only been here for a private event, so I can't speak to the everyday experience. In this case, the food was fantastic. The space is beautiful and interesting (in a great way), and the staff was great. I will definitely check it out on a regular night next time I am in town!

San Francisco, California, USA
“I felt I was transported to an episode of "Mystery Diners" where incompetence reigns”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

My husband and I went to Artist's Palate for lunch earlier in the week. I decided to wait until today (Friday) before writing this review in order to simmer down. This week's visit was our fourth time there. The other occasions were average but because of its location, it’s a convenient place to go for lunch. When we arrived, a table of patrons was leaving. That left our table and three other tables during our entire time there. Like us, each table had two patrons. So there was absolutely no legitimate reason for what was about to unfold. Unfortunately because we waited so long (30 minutes) for our food, I was able to observe what was happening at the other tables and in the open kitchen. Each of the other three tables also waited an extremely long time for their food. There appeared to be three waiters. Of the three, a blonde lady appeared to be a trainee. When the table to my left finally received their food, there was chicken on the salad which apparently the vegetarian patron did not request. I then observed the blonde go up to the chef to let him know of the situation and because patrons have a clear view of the open kitchen, I was able to see the chef's displeasure. I then observed the blonde waitress and a male waiter intensely speaking to the chef for several minutes while their backs were facing the dining room. First, that is remarkably rude and second, how could they possibly observe whether a patron needed something. The other waiter was way back in the bar area. Our lunch finally arrived and we were starved. From the Specials of the Day Menu, my husband ordered the grilled half ham and cheese sandwich and bowl of French onion soup and I ordered the fried cod with waffle fries. As I started to eat I raised my head and noticed that my husband started eating the soup but it didn't appear to be French onion. When I asked whether it was, he confirmed that it was not. So I motioned to the waitress to let her know of the mistake. Instead of taking the bowl of soup, she then proceeded to take away my husband's entire lunch including the sandwich. When I observed the look of utter despair on his face because we had waited so long and he was hungrrrry, I stopped her and asked her to take the soup and leave the sandwich. Common sense anyone? We were sitting close to the open kitchen and I was able to hear the waitress explain the problem to the Chef and here comes a doozy, he then said that it would "help" if he had Specials of the Day Menu. Whatttt? My cod was okay except it was little soggy. As we were waiting for the French onion soup to arrive, I observed yet another table turning away food. The wait staff brought out some sort of sandwich and what appeared to be lobster mac and cheese. The table sent the lobster mac and cheese away. Back to what we were having, when the French onion soup finally arrived my husband was kind enough to share it with me and it was okay EXCEPT that the soup contained a sizable tunic of the onion (the first layer-orange part). When another waiter came to take away the bowl, I told him what I had found and pointed it out to him and told him that he should alert the chef as I am sure the pot of onion soup was similarly saturated with it. The waiter showed zero interest in apologizing or alerting anyone. Three of the four tables (or 75 percent) sent food back. If this rate is anywhere near consistent through the week, I am surprised the Artist's Palate is still in business.

3 Thank GenevieveElla
artistspalate, Owner at The Artist's Palate, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Hello & thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant. We would like to address some of the issues you brought up in your review.
The patron that recieved chicken on their salad did not read the menu to see that it came with chicken, a mistake on thier part that we fixed. They were a first time patron that has dined with us twice since.
The patron who returned the lobster mac & cheese did not like the dish. This is one of our signature dishes and we sell a large amount of it. Upon the customer not liking it, we removed it and offered to et them something else. This was no fault of ours as well.
As to your experience, we did send the wrong soup to your husband, but gave you the other to finish and enjoy. We apologize for the wait and what was an out of the ordinary experience at our restaurant. We try to be as timely, accomidating and hospitable as possible. I would love to speak to you further concerning your experience as we value all of our customers feedback, both good and bad. We have been in business for 8 years and take opportunities liek this to learn how we can grow and improve our business. I would like to assure you that this was not a typical experience and i understand your frustrations and ill-feeling towards our restaurant. Please feel free to contact us via email at babypalate@gmail.com or 845.483.8074.
Thank you again for your feedback.
Megan Fells
Andover, Massachusetts
“Good enough for a repeat visit!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

While visiting the area for 4 days, eat here twice (would have been 3 times but they were closed). That good, and enough on the menu to keep one coming back. First night - duck - wonderful crispy skin marvelously defatted. The meat was moist and flavorful. Second night - monk fish - perfectly done and very tasty! Dessert - try the sampler - solves the problem of just picking one! The only disappointment, the decaf coffee, just average. Ambiance was very nice, though can get a bit noisy. Service was very good, nicely attentive without over doing it.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Richard F
Kent, Connecticut
“Interesting Menu, Fair Price, and Great Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Friendly, attentive service, great cocktails, and wonderfully well prepared food. I particularly enjoyed the Pulpo. For a minute there, I thought I was enjoying some fine ding somewhere in the Mediterranean. Certainly the best meal I ever had in Poughkeepsie!

1 Thank Randy M