“Did the trick”

Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Poughkeepsie
Reviewed November 2, 2009

I stayed recently for 1 night at the Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel. I was in town for a family wedding and this was the designated hotel. The front desk staff were great and very friendly as I had to change my reservation twice. The hotel was clean, business-like. The bathrooms had deent amenities and granite countertops. About on par with like a Marriot Courtyard or a Four Points Sheraton.

The only downside to this hotel is that the neighborhood was a little sketchy. Also the hotel guests park in the converntion center lot which is attached and it is not clearly marked so you're not quite sure where to go when you get there. Also there is no one to assist you with your bags - but for the price I guess that is to be expected.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed September 3, 2009

My daughter was married recently and held her reception for approximately 200 guests at the Poughkeepsie Grand. My expectations were high, but the end result far exceeded what I had imagined. The staff was exceptional in every way - we could not possibly have asked for better service from each and every member of the staff. The rooms for our immediate family members were clean and neat. Their wedding package rates were much more reasonable than many of other places we had looked at, so I was a bit apprehensive on what the quality of the food would be like. I worried needlessly because absolutely everything they served was superb. Our guests continue to send thank yous for a night of elegance, outstanding food and first class service. I couldn't be happier. I cannot thank the management of the PG enough for running a top notch establishment - I would not have changed one thing!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2009

I am travelling for business between 80-100 nights per year throughout the country, thus, I think I have a fairly good overview as to what one can expect from a hotel and what not.

The rooms at the Poughkeepsie Grand are definitely below average. The matress of my king size bed was old, saggy and thus quite uncomfortable. The free wireless internet service was incredibly slow (it took at times several minutes to open up a new page). The towels in the bathroom were old and of an off brownish colour, there was nothing to put your toothbrush or soap in. The maid did not properly make my bed and did not empty the ice bucket.... all in all maybe not totally terrible, but definitely disappointing.

On the day of check out, they do not deliver your invoice into your room as hotels normally do. So I went down to obtain the invoice for my intern and me (i paid for my intern, as he doesn't have a corporate credit card). The receptionist, Scott, gave me an unfriendly greeting while chewing gum (!!!!). I had to yell to make myself understood, as the floors in the reception and breakfast area were being vacuumed at 8am (main checkout/breakfast time....). Now they billed me two different rates for my colleague and I - same room, same company, same corporate rate. I am not going into detail here, but it took me 45 minutes and being treated in the most rude and unfriendly manner to get this issue fixed. I have NEVER been served as hostile as I have been by Scott. His colleague, Amber, finally helped to fix the situation. One can only feel sorry that she has to work with a colleague like that.

All in all, I will have a lot of business in Poughkeepsie during the next few months, but I definitely won't stay in that establishment anymore.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank K77travels
Reviewed August 5, 2009

Stayed at the Grand for a wedding food tasting at the Grandview. We we warmly greeted by the front desk personnel and assigned a non smoking room on the 7th floor. Our room was recently remodeled and everything worked fine including the wireless internet. Not a problem with the room, bathroom or bed. We had a hudson river facing room with views of the two bridges. No parking problems in the attached municipal garage. We asked for the hotel van to take us to and return to the Grandview. No problems. The Grandview food tasking was superb!!! Congratulations to the Grandview cooks, waiters and supervisory staff. Well done. All in all I expected minor problems after reading reviews in trip advisor... But we encountered perfection.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2009

This is a really bad hotel for several reasons.

First, despite a wretched location in a seedy section of town, it is not that cheap.

Second, rooms are worn and the carpeting seemed quite dirty.

Third, the bed was incredibly uncomfortable. The head was lower than the foot, and the weight of a 150 pound man caused the overly soft mattress to form a bowl shape.

Fourth, the "free" breakfast was awful. I use "free" in quotes, since obviously, it is included in your room rate, and because every 5 feet there is a tacky, standing sign reminding you that "gratuities are not included." There is no room service except at breakfast, and I wouldn't recommend trying it.

Fifth, the only parking is a municipal garage next to the hotel. It can fill up, especially with the 4 or 5 weddings that may be hosted on a weekend night at the hotel. At which point you will park on the street in a dicey neighborhood.

There are almost certainly better choices and better value for the money.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Calvinisto
Reviewed June 13, 2009

After reading some of the reviews, we were skeptical. However, everything was terrific. The staff, the rooms, the event ----- all of it was much more than we expected. We were treated so well, there is no doubt we will return when in the area. The wedding was so well coordinated and the food was wonderful. A full course meal, served hot and delicious. That isn't always the way it is serving more than one hundred and forty people. Even the food served during the cocktail hour and in the bridal prep room was terrific. Room service was fast and pleasant. A totally positive experience.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 13, 2009

Went to Poughkeepsie to see a concert at the Chance. Since we took the train in, we stayed at the Grand Hotel. Great location inbetween the train station and the downtown area. Had dinner at the hotel restaurant and it was excellent and extremely reasonably priced.

The bed was not all that comfortable, and the walls are TISSUE PAPER THIN! In our bathroom, you could hear, word for word, what the people next door were saying. Idiots screaming in the halls woke us up at 4 am.

Breakfast was generous and free. Pretty good too: french toast, eggs, bacon, danishes, cereals, juices, etc.

The WIFI was spotty at best.

Would look around for different hotel, especially if you need wifi and good nights sleep. Price was a bit steep for the room, but the food was great.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pookle1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poughkeepsie
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie
Residence Inn Poughkeepsie
Residence Inn Poughkeepsie
#7 of 13 in Poughkeepsie
Hampton Inn by Hilton New Paltz NY

Been to Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!