Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$144
$135
$81
$93
Courtyard
$92
$87
Travelocity
Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie(Poughkeepsie)
$136
Poughkeepsie Inn(Poughkeepsie)
TripAdvisor
Mercury Grand Hotel(Poughkeepsie)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsattached garagewedding venuecocktail hourhudson riverlobby barwalking bridgeson's weddingshuttle busbuffet styledecent sizevery nice hotelstayed two nightsking bedup to datebeds were comfortablepoughkeepsie areagrandview
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 9, 2008

December 6 - 7 2008. Arrived early via AMTRAK around 2:00 and was allowed to check in early since the room was ready. Very courteous, competent and quick front desk service on check-in and check-out. Room was clean and nicely furnished. First time in Poughkeepsie. Took the Amtrak from Baltimore to New York Penn, then the Empire express to Poughkeepsie. Just thought it would be a fun place to see. We strolled around downtown and took note of the very nice old architecture. Went to the McCann civic center and had the pleasure of seeing Marist play CCSU in ice hockey. Nice little town. I would recommend a Friday arrival, a day of sightseeing, leaving on Sunday. Looks like a few things to see in the area. Restaurant at Hotel was very good. Complimentary breakfast was also very good. If using taxi service in area, I highly recommend A1. Very nice drivers and on-time! All-in-all we found Poughkeepsie and the Poughkeepsie Grand to be quite a nice getaway. The only down side - a few undesirables seem to roam the historic district - but no harm done. Definitely rent a car if staying more than just a quick evening. However, stay away from Budget. I booked a car for the brief time we were there via travelocity. I called the local rental office (not the airport, but somewhere on violet ave) and found out that they were going to be closed at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, even though their website says open until 4:00 on Saturdays. Good thing I called. Taxi service was fine for our brief stay.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 14, 2008

I have gone to several functions at the P/Grand Including chaperoning proms and attended several weddings. Over the course of this time I have witnessed purses stolen by my opinion staff. Rude individuals at the front desk. Who if you are lucky to find them dont really want to help you and make you feel like your bothering them. On my last and FINAL stay I witnessed a fight at the bar in which a 50+year old man attacked a younger man in my opinion for know reason. The security escorted out the bleeding individual while the other gentleman (50+) came back rolling up his sleeves. Really making me feel safe (thanks security throw out the guy that didnt say anthing) lol. In my opinion throw them both out. Then I was chatting with a female when another femal approached me and said "your the gay wedding crasher" well I almost fell to the floor laughing because I had know Idea what she was talking about. She then told me two males went into her sons wedding and crashed it hours before the two males were eating and were dancing together. It was NOT me I have better things to do and after finishing the last wedding I definitally wanted no more of the Grands tasteless food.

Security was then at that point looking for me apparently becuase I looked like this other individual because the grooms mother said that I was the guy! What kind of nonsense. I AM A PAYING GUEST!

The females that I was talking to (who were part of that wedding) told me to head up to my room because she (the grooms mother) was on a war path. So i thought they already threw out one guy for nothing so why not I. So I took her advice and
headed up to my half way remodeled to go to bed.

Overall I would never recommend this hotel to anyone ever! There is the cortyard by marryot which is beautiful south of the p grand on route 9 as well the best western and the econo lodge. They are both in much better areas. The P/Grand is in the city of poughkeepsie where it becomes quite scary at night. I am a male and I would not even think of venturing out in that neighborhood at night.

Before you waste your money on the grand get a room at the econo lodge. It will be cheaper and probably be a much better experience! Good luck to you!

• Stayed: September 2008
2  Thank Traveler607
Reviewed August 11, 2008

Based on previous reviews, we went into the experience expecting the worst but hoping for the best. We were there for a family wedding, so we were prepared to go with the flow - after all, we were only spending 2 nights.

WHAT a surprise we were in for! We have NO complaints about anything!

The hotel itself was immaculate - the rooms were absolutely lovely and the staff could not have been more helpful! They were friendly, professional with a sense of humor and very knowledgeable!

As far as the wedding, reception, dinner, etc ----------- FANTASTIC!

Too bad the hotel is not in a "lovely" area but when you are in the hotel, it does not really make a difference about the surroundings as you most likely are not looking to go for a stroll.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank cherijoon
Reviewed July 8, 2008

We stayed at The Grand when my daughter had her wedding and reception in the Poughkeepsie area. We had a very nice room that seemed like it had recently been remodeled. Our wedding was a destination wedding for many people-------we had 47 rooms booked for people from 13 states and one foreign country. Some people had updated rooms, some had older rooms, but all said they were nice. They are working on remodeling and the lobby/bar area was quite new. Breakfast was really nice--complimentary, but over by 9:30. I was originally worried about how the stay would be for our guests because of the reviews I'd read, but we were all very pleased and had an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed June 26, 2008

I was expecting the worst based on some reviews, but was pleasantly surprised. The lobby is small but nice and the rooms were decent size and clean. The room did have a strange smell, however, and I had to sleep with the window open. It smelled like new shower curtain. The other problem in the room was that it was difficult to regulate the water temperature and pressure in the shower. The high pressure made the curtain fly inward and made it hard to shower. Breakfast was good and served quickly from a very limited menu--it was included in my rate.
I would stay here again on the hope the rooms would smell better by then.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family