“Nice hotel in small town”

Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Poughkeepsie
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This hotel is the best in Poughkeepsie, NY. It give you a feeling of old town friendship and history mixed in with it. When visiting or needing a place to stay in this area, this is the hotel to stay at. The food, employees, rooms, and clean hotel are great!!! Try some old town friendship here.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Stephen S

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Everything was good, but the air conditioners were not keeping our room cool and there was not any cold air in the hallways. The shuttle service was great! If you aren't looking for any special bells and whistles it's for you.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Rprewitt
Reviewed July 2, 2013

By husband & I stayed here overnight while attending a wedding. We very much enjoyed our stay and had no complaints whatsoever! We had a king room on the 9th floor. It was clean and comfortable.

Service was impeccable! I called the hotel early in the morning on the day of the wedding to see if we could check in before 3pm in order to get ready for the wedding and they said, No problem, the room will be ready! It was a bit hot in the room when we arrived and we attempted to turn the AC on but it wasnt working correctly so we called for someone to come up. He was there in 2 mins flat and fixed the air with no issues!!

There is a parking garage connected to the hotel, but there were no available spaces when we arrived after the wedding so we had to park across the street in another garage. My husband worried all night that something would happen to his car, but everything was fine!!!

The wedding we attended was held further away at The Grandview and the hotel offered a free shuttle (trolley) back and forth all evening (up until midnight or 2am, I think.) That was a lifesaver :)

Also included in the price of our stay was a buffet breakfast the next morning. It was delicious and plentiful. They had an omelet station, fruit, juices, coffee, bacon, eggs, waffles and pastries.

We would definitely stay here again and we highly recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I went there this weekend for a wedding and I was worried after the reviews that I've read on here. I was pleasantly surprised that this was a very nice hotel. It was older, but elegant and very warm and inviting. The food for the wedding was very good from appetizers to our sit down dinner. The rooms were updated and clean. The only downside was that their parking garage is shared for not only the hotel, but other businesses or buildings. I did not go in there but my husband said that it wasn't very clean and a bit seedy. Other than that our experience at this hotel was nothing but positive.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank chari m
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The staff was nice but that is the only good things I have to say. I parked in the covered parking and I had the impression to walk in a latrine to get to the lobby. The ac are split units and when I turned it on a musty smell came out of it. To top it off ESPN was not working to top it off

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 20, 2013

An impressive lobby, but that was the best experience of the stay. Broken drains in both the tub and sink, and only tepid water for a shower the next morning. When we went to make coffee, the coffee maker was missing some parts, causing us to schedule an earlier breakfast. Which took forever even though there were few people in the downstairs restaurant. Even worse, no one got back to me on the problems with the room.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, request a room facing the Hudson River.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 19, 2013

First of, if you have to stay in Poughkeepsie, you already have one strike against you.

I stayed here for a Saturday night in order to attend an event early Sunday morning. The hotel is located downtown. It is anything but grand. There is no valet to take your car and you have to park in an adjacent municipal lot which, conveniently, connects to the hotel.

I was greeted by a gruff reception staff of three which couldn't crack a smile or a welcome. The hotel was hosting a sweet 16 party and a bunch of drunken midwest out of towners who hardly made you feel good about staying there. The room I had was basic and nothing special. It was also located right next to the elevator. I heard people loudly coming and going all night.

I had dinner at the hotel restaurant. Food and service was bland and basic. AM breakfast was also bland and basic consisting of a small buffet of eggs, bacon, bagels, fruit salad and really bad croissants and french toast.

I stayed a total of 12 hours in this hotel and couldn't get out of there fast enough. The checkout was quick as the desk clerk didn't even take the time to ask me about my stay. Morale here seems abysmal and clearly none of the staff seems to have received any training in the hospitality business. This place is anything but grand.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends