“Keep Looking!!!”

Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Poughkeepsie
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I had the VERY unfortunate experience of staying a the Poughkeepsie NOT grand on Oct 10 &11 2012 for a conference. Let me begin by stating I make some general assumptions of ALL hotels when I travel. One would be that you have either A/C in the warm months or heat in the cooler months. DO NOT make that assumption here! As of Oct. 12 they DO NOT have heat in the rooms- still on "summer cooling"! Evidently the can only provide A/C OR heat, not a customer choice! One would think mid-October in NY would motivate a switch to heat but NOT here! A complaint to amangement at desk broght a reply of supplying more blankets; what EXACTLY would that do after a morning shower? ALL the employees seemed frustrated that they had to deal with this issue with the common answer being "Yes, it SLOULD be on already". So why not? No real answer ever provided. The rooms (I had 2) were outdated, tired and musty. Flat pillows, dirty blankets (YUP!) and hard mattresses with springs protruding from the side.
In fairness, the room did have a nice flatscreen TV and they have nice common areas and a decent complimentary hot breakfast, but seeing as how I pay for a room the overall experience has me advising others to KEEP LOOKING!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank jgportguy
There are newer reviews for Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We were on the 10th floor overlooking the river. It was very quiet, it had a flat screen TV that was very good and the complimentary breakfast had a wide variety of food.

Some corridors had a slight smell of cigarette smoke. I would have liked it if the entire hotel was smoke free.

Parking in the adjacent Civic Center ramp garage was convenient. We needed handicapped parking and we were right near the elevator.

Elevator service was speedy. We stayed on a Thursday enroute to Massachusetts.

The room and bath were spotless.

If you are looking for an ultra modern facility, this is not for you, This is an older (I'd guess 1950's) hotel that has been refurbished. We'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an uneven number and you will get a room overlooking the Hudson River.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I attended a wedding at this hotel and stayed the night. I was suprised that the hotel is located in the downtown business district which is not very nice. When we arrived we had no idea where to park, there was no doorman or bellhop and no signage. We pulled into the parking garage next to the hotel that said parking for the Civic Center (no mention of Hotel) we parked there and hoped it was OK. The hotel must have been very grand when it opened and there remains some very charming parts - the bar in the lobby is beautiful and some of the fixtures lovely with some outdoor gardens that were quite beautiful.

The room however was dark and dank and very outdated. There were two TV's, an old clunker and a flat screen, but neither worked. Even after turning on every light it remained dark and dreary. The bathroom required some extensive remodelling. We attempted to find coffee in the morning and there wasn't any available unless you had a chit for a free breakfast and we were a tad frightened to try to go into the street and find something.

I would not suggest staying here unless you are at an event like we were and did not wish to drive anywhere.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Arlene L
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The hotel is clean and the staff is nice. But if you are coming here for peace and quiet you may want to go elsewhere. This venue caters to weddings and is very crowded on the weekends. Late night partying is the norm, as is loud drunk people staggering back to their rooms at 2 AM. When I asked a woman and her extremely drunk entourage to be quiet because it was 2 AM, one of the women dropped numerous F-bombs on me. I got dressed and went down to the front desk to complain. She came down also and continued to drop f-bombs in front of the desk clerk and the security guy. Neither of these men asked her to stop. I was told that they can't control what people do and this is what I should expect. I won't be going back.

Room Tip: Dont' go here unless you are a major partier.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Trish N
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed at the Grand Hotel in Poughkeepsie this past Monday. The Celtic Thunder concert was next door ~ 75 feet away in the Civic Center.
The Grand hotel is keep spotlessly clean and the room I had was on the 10th floor, with a king sized four poster bed. Just lovely The hotel offers a complimentary breakfast, served buffet style, with eggs, bacon,sausage, potatoes. Coffee, tea and two different juices. Assorted breakfast breads. If you arrive by train (as I did), they have a shuttle to pick you and deliver you to the hotel, also will reverse back to train station.
A bar and grill is in the lobby, serving lunch and dinner. The food is nice, with offerings of regular entrees, sandwiches, burgers and soups. If you arrive by train, limited restaurants within walking distance. The hotel has large parking garage for guests.
This was my second time to stay at the Grand, and I must say, nice tho the hotel may be, the prime 'attraction' is the most caring staff I've ever encountered. At my last stay, there were on that weekend: 2 wedding recetptions, anniversay dinner, engagement party plus Celtic Thunder cast stayed there along with so many fans. Never one during that time did I see or hear any staff be 'short' or surly to anyone. They all kept their cool even tho so many events were happening on that weekend.
All in all, nice stay and very reasonable rattes.

Room Tip: Be VERY aware to stay away from the 8th floor. It is a smoking floor (I know, very unusual in this...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We came from Washington State for a wedding and stayed here because of "special" rate for the guests. If what we paid was special, I feel sorry for other who might have paid more, it is just not worth it. The staff upon check in was friendly and helpful. Our requested non-smoking room was filled with "pot" smoke. It seemed like someone was in the room smoking as we were checking in because the smell was overpowering. While 20 yrs ago that might have been OK, travelling with 2 children and over 8 hours on the road it was not welcome. They changed our room which was OK until we took a shower and the water trickled out. They also had only 1 set of towels in the room. With the change of front desk staff at night their mood also changed and we were hard pressed to get an answer as they kept on going in the back out of sight. My daughter and I had to leave very early and I stopped by the desk to see if they had coffee available and was greeted by a staff person who still had sleep in his eyes and just nodded no and went back. My wife and son later, close or a little after 10:00am, went for breakfast and nothing was left. For the price they charged they shouldv'e delivered it to our room. We travel quite a bit and usually try to stay in at least 3 1/2 star Hotels and this one was very dissapointing.

Room Tip: Good luck!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mukilteomike44
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This was my first time staying at this hotel and I would definitely go back. The lobby is small but the staff was very friendly and the lobby had a nice bar, drinks were not too outrageously priced. The room also included breakfast every morning, which was a really nice touch. The breakfast included eggs, bacon, french toast, an omlette station, etc. so it was much more than just a continental breakfast, plus the food was good. The rooms were a very good size with plenty of space for luggage, bed was comfortable and the bathroom had been recently updated. There were some small "wear and tear" issues in the room but since it was clean, spacious and comfortable it was easy to ignore those things. The hotel is within walking distance of restaurants, the walking bridge over the Hudson and more, so the location is great. I definitely feel as though we got our money's worth and would recommend this place to anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family