“Very nice stay”

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Poughkeepsie
South Plainfield, New Jersey
“Very nice stay”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We enjoyed our stay. We stayed for one night and the hotel was clean and comfortable. The room was very clean and it seemed like it had new carpet. The beds were comfortable and the AC worked very well. The breakfast was included and was adequate for a quick breakfast and coffee. The room we ate breakfast in was very pleasant and you can eat your breakfast outside on the adjoining patio if you want to. The only reason I gave it a very good rating vs. excellent is because the elevator broke in the morning and they only have one elevator. I feel a hotel this size (4 floors) should have 2 elevators. They got it fixed quickly and we were thankfully able to use it after breakfast to move our bags to the car. We were on the 3rd floor so if it wasn't fixed that would have been difficult for me. Overall though it was really a good place to stay and I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

hiepoughkeepsie, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Thank you so much for your honest review of our hotel, I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! We have recently revamped our guestrooms and replacing the carpets was one of the many updates that we included during this process. We take cleanliness very seriously here and I am happy to hear that our clean rooms, comfortable bed and efficient A/C system made an impact on your during your stay. During this wonderfully beautiful weather it is always a good choice to take advantage of the warmth and sunshine, especially for a nice relaxing breakfast on our outdoor patio. I do want to apologize sincerely for the brief elevator malfunction that you endured. Our maintenance staff has been keeping an eye out on the elevator to proactively avoid any experiences such as this from occurring again. I hope to welcome you back for another visit soon, possibly a relaxing weekend trip to the local spas, historic sites and wineries are in order? ;)

Cheers!

Sales Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Turkish first
Washington, DC
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Stayed at this location for a short business trip. Check in was pleasant and relatively fast. The elevator was not operating on the first day of our stay and the desk clerk suggested that we stay on the first floor. We opted to stay on other floors since climbing stairs wasn't a problem for us. It was nice that they were considerate enough to offer though.

Pros? The facility was clean. Coffee and hot tea were available throughout the day and they served cookies at least one day during our visit. One of my colleagues and I reported problems getting channels on our TV. The front desk person contacted hotel maintenance right away and the problem was promptly corrected. The fitness room was small, but adequate with cardio and strength equipment. The hotel is in a great spot right near the highway and close to downtown Poughkeepsie. Free parking!

Cons? My room was near an exit door, which was a bit annoying since the elevator was broken the first day. I was gone most of the time and the elevator was fixed the next day, so it worked out okay. There were a couple of issues with the bathroom. It took a long time for hot water to come on in the sink, but the shower worked fine. There was no bathroom fan. The lighting in the bathroom was horrible for applying makeup; I had no idea whether I looked natural or too made up until I got into natural light. My other colleagues mentioned the same thing. The only way to get ice is to go all the way to the first floor; there are no ice machines on any other floors. This is probably a good thing in terms of noise reduction on guest room floors, but a minor annoyance for me personally.

Overall, I slept well, received decent complimentary breakfasts, and stayed in a clean, comfortable, convenient location. I would recommend this location and will stay here again when I return to the area in the fall.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Crecia
hiepoughkeepsie, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear Crysha,

Thank you so much for your kind review of our hotel. I was happy to hear about your experiences in your 'pros' section and I have made note to the maintenance staff of your concerns with the bathroom lighting. We strive to ensure cleanliness, comfort and convenience to our wonderful guests so I am very glad that you felt we provided all of these to you! Did you know that we offer special corporate rates for companies with frequent stays at our hotel? Feel free to reach out to me personally for more information about corporate rates at (845) 473-1151 ext. 147 or at sales.hiexpress@aol.com. Have a great weekend!

Rural Belgium
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Long wait for check-in (no special IHG Platinum facility).
Hotel could do with some freshening up.
At breakfast we struggled to get a table and the food was - when we sampled it - below average for HI-Express standards. Did not bother after the first morning.
Very pleasant front desk staff, particularly one gentleman who - while efficiently working for other guests - enthusiastically gave us tips & advice on things to do in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Nossi
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on our hotel with us. I am so happy to hear how our awesome front desk staff was able to multitask to while providing great service to you. We are very lucky to have such a great team here at the Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie. We are actually in the process of revamping all of our guestrooms and will also be replacing the carpets in our corridors and lobby area in the upcoming months. I think that once these updates are complete you will be pleased with the fresh new look of our hotel. I do want to apologize for our breakfast food not being up to your standards. We strive to satisfy our valued guests 100% in every aspect of their stay so I will certainly be informing our breakfast staff of your concerns so that we can ensure the tastiest breakfast options are available. If you ever find yourself traveling to the Dutchess county area again in the future we hope that you will choose to stay with your friends at the Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie again!

Warmest Regards,

Massachusetts
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Employees were great & was a nice place. But, to have hot water, had to turn on hot water for a few minutes, then shut off for at least 5 minutes,then turn on again & wait a few minutes. Complained the first night (didn't realize what had to be done to get hot water & had only turned it on), once the employee told us what to do, and we had hot water, he said we were set. There was a room to move us to, but it was no longer an option, since we could get hot water, doing what is stated above. Construction was being done- construction itself did not interfere with the stay. However, the workers doing the construction live there; at night, they forget that others are paying to stay there. They are loud (shouting to each other & their women), slamming doors, and obviously drinking. They stated they are going to more Holiday Inn's to do work, hopefully, they have more oversight in other ones.
Parking was great & close to where your room is- you don't have to park by the front door. You don't hear any traffic. Food was good in the morning & they are constantly maintaining it. I would stay here again, if the hot water worked & no construction was going on.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank CaesarBrutus
hiepoughkeepsie, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Thank you so very much for taking the time to review our hotel. We truly appreciate our guests' feedback as it allows us to continuously improve in areas that we might not have been aware needed improvement without these reviews.

The hot water issue that you experienced is not at all common of our hotel, this is the first incident of its kind that myself and the other management and maintenance staff have heard of and so I want to thank you for alerting us of it. I hope you will accept my sincerest apologies for the way that this issue was handled by the employee you spoke with. I can honestly say that this is not how we would have expected any of our staff members to react to this situation and we will be taking the proper employee training steps to ensure that issues such as these are resolved in a more hospitable manor should they ever arise in the future. I have also alerted our maintenance staff to check and resolve any hot water issues at the hotel.

The construction crew behavior is also something that we had no idea was occurring. The way that you described the construction workers acting after hours is a completely intolerable way for any of our guests to act in the hotel. Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention. We have spoken with the construction company manager who assured us that this sort of behavior will not happen again at our hotel during any time of day or night.

I was happy to read that you enjoyed our friendly staff, quiet location and wide breakfast buffet variety enough to rate us a 4 out of 5 on your review. I can assure you that the negative issues which you experienced are not at all common at our hotel and I hope that you will give us the chance to dazzle you with our accommodations and service during your next visit to the Poughkeepsie area. I would also like to invite you to reach out to our General Manager, Rachel Kuhn, at (845) 473-1151 ext. 151 to discuss in detail the issues that you experienced so that we can properly rectify the situation. Thank you again very much for your review.

Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night before our cruise from NYC. The staff were fantastic. They watched our vehicles while we were gone, and the maint man / shuttle driver was very accomodating. The rooms were spacious and clean and the selection of channels was good. If we cruise from NYC again, we will definitely be staying here!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Peter G
hiepoughkeepsie, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
I am so pleased that you chose our hotel during your visit to NYC! You really were a 'Smart Saver' by choosing to stay overnight at our Poughkeepsie hotel because, why spend twice as much or more at a hotel in NYC when you could stay with us for great accommodations, friendly service AND free shuttle service to the train station which has a direct route right into Grand Central Station! I hope to welcome you back to stay with us again in the near future!

Warmest Regards,

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed March 14, 2014

People (hotel staff) here are very good. The hotel is located at a nice place. once you have your breakfast you can go out and feel the bright sunshine. Rooms are good and clean. A wide variety of breakfast is available. In all a good place to stay at Poughkeepsie.

Room Tip: Make sure you have water bottle full of water in the night.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank navneetarya27
hiepoughkeepsie, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Thank you so much for your kind words! Our friendly staff is happy to provide great customer service to our wonderful guests. Many of our guests also enjoy to walk onto our outdoor patio after breakfast to enjoy the sunshine, hopefully it will start to warm up again soon! We hope you will come back to stay with us again soon!

Best,

Buford, Georgia
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We came to the Holiday Inn Express based on reviews here on Trip Advisor and the hotel did not disappoint. We were in town for a family funeral and the hotel staff treated us very well and with respect which was very nice during a tough weekend.

Very clean property throughout, with a large space for the morning breakfast which is very nicely done with both hot and cold foods. Coffee and cookies are available all day, though the coffee was cold in the afternoons so you'll need to heat it up in the microwave. We stayed in room 432 and it was well appointed including a mid sized fridge and microwave. Comfortable bed with both soft and firm pillows which were nice, though we did bring our own pillows from home with us.

Wi-Fi is free with a code given to you by the front desk.

Hotel is VERY convenient to IBM, Vassar, Marist, Culinary Institute, Hospitals, Roosevelt / Vanderbilt homes and all points in Poughkeepsie, Hyde Park and beyond. Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone needing a place to stay in Poughkeepsie.

Green Features: Hotel actively encouraged the use of towels more than once which is nice to see. Also kept the fridge unplugged between guests so as not to burn electricity and also encouraged guests to keep all lights off when not in the room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank biscardicreative
hiepoughkeepsie, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
On behalf of myself and the entire staff we want to extend our condolences for your loss. During this tough time I am glad that we were able to provide you and your family with comfort and respectful hospitality. I am happy that you enjoyed our clean accommodations and amenities such as the refrigerator and microwave, which are available in every single one of our guestrooms. I do want to apologize for your experience with the afternoon coffee temperate and have alerted our staff to ensure that the issue will not arise again in the future. I very much appreciate your recommendation and hope to welcome you back to visit us again under different circumstances.

Katherine Gambino, Sales Manager