“Just an Average Hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Poughkeepsie
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Needed a place to stay while I visited my Son who's a student at SUNY New Paltz,this hotel was about 15 miles or 20-25 minutes from the school. The commute beween the school was very easy. I was happy to find a Brand Name Hotel whithin a close distance, there aren't too many hotel in New Paltz. At $193 a night for a king sized, I thought it was a little on the high side but I was running out of time and Holiday Inn is usually nice.
The Hotel was OK, but a little "worn" it could use a little TLC. From the reviews and the price I was expecting more. The Hotel was clean and for that reason I would consider revisiting, but it looked like it's due for an update. It was October and the pool was obviously closed but i didn't find anything special about this place. The shower had missing caulking, there was mismatched wall paper and tiles. This is not the norm for most Holiday Inns.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank NYC613
hiepoughkeepsie, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2012

Hello -
Thank you for your review. I really appreicate you taking your time and letting us know about some needed refreshing. I am passing your comments along so our management team can put into the plan for a refreshing of some of our areas. Definitely let me know the next time you're coming back to the area - i'd love to sit and talk to get some more perspective from you.

Thanks!

Reviewed September 26, 2011

We had a decent night's stay. The room was just fine--the shower was amazing. The biscuits at breakfast were excellent. My two complaints are that I heard noise from another room at around 1:30 a.m. and that the breakfast area uses way, way, way too much styrofoam and plastic. The hotel needs to be a little "greener."

Other than that, the hotel is quite nice. It's close to Vassar College, where we needed to be.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family

Hello -
Thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay while visitng Vassar College. It's nice that it's so close to the hotel. Thank you for mentioning the noisein the early morning hours - it's difficult to monitor when we don't know so I appreciate you telling us so we can keep an ear out. When you are with us again - if that occurs - please feel free to call the front desk so they can take care of it for you. Also I appreciate your comments regarding the styrofoam. At present, unfortunately, it is what is required, however I do believe the parent company IHG is looking into green alternatives which are environmentally friendly and cost efficient so we wouldn't have to pass the potential cost increase on to the guests. I, also, am looking forward to this.

Thank you so much.

Reviewed September 23, 2011

We always try to stay at Holiday Inn Express hotels wherever possible. In all cases we are quite satisfied, but this one in Poughkeepsie merits a four star rating compared to the others. Friendly service, very clean, standard breakfast, nicely appointed room and most of all a wonderful king-size bed. I wish I knew the name of the mattress because we need to replace a Simmons Beautyrest that is sagging after only five years of use. Did not experience any sciatica pain during those two nights at the hotel but it reappeared immediately during our first night at home.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Hello -
I am glad you had a great stay and a wonderful nights sleep. Our mattresses are Serta - Hotel Grade. They are extremely comfortable and definitely built to last! I'm not sure if they are available for the public for purchase but definitely contact a Serta dealer and see if they can help you out!

See you soon!

Reviewed September 23, 2011

The Holiday Inn Express was one of two hotels where rooms had been reserved for my 50th High School Reunion. It was the perfect location for all the activities planned for our weekend. The Hotle is situated on Rte. 9 (South Rd) and would very convenient for anyone visiting the Poughkieepsie, Hyde Park area. It was very clean, rooms are a decent size, hotel staff was terrific. The breakfast was more than adequate. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area.

Room Tip: we were on the 1st floor and never heard any noise from people in the hallway
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
hiepoughkeepsie, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2012

Hello -
I'm so glad you had a great time at your 50th High School Reunion. I remember your group being here and I know my staff thoroughly enjoyed getting to know all of you! Thanks so much for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit with us!

Reviewed September 12, 2011

After travelling to the North Fork of Long Island three weeks earlier, my wife and I had another wedding to go to Labor Day weekend, this time in Poughkeepsie. We stayed at the Holiday Inn express (one of two hotels where the Bride and Groom had blocked out rooms). Too many times in the past we have found suburban hotels (regardless of which chain) to be rundown, dirty, and uncomfortable. The Holiday Inn was none of these, it was very clean, and the rooms while standard hotel rooms were up to date and our kingsize bed was extremely comfortable. The big surprise though was breakfast, my wife woke up with an odd craving for biscuits and gravy but didn't want to leave the hotel. I told her that there was no way that a suburban Holiday Inn in Poughkeepsie would have biscuits and gravy as part of their complimentary breakfast. We would more than likely be getting stale Price Club pastries, cereal, and maybe some granola. Boy was I wrong! Not only did they have biscuits and gravy, they also had cheese omlets, sausage, toast, cinnamon rolls, bagels, fruit, yogurt...a surprisingly varied and satisfying breakfast. I am sure that this hotel caters to business travelers as Poughkeepsie is an IBM hub but if you find yourself needing a reasonably priced hotel in Poughkeepsie I would definitely recommend the Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends

Hi -
Thank you for staying with us! I really like the biscuits and gravy on the breakfast bar also. I went to school in Ohio and develop of love for them there and for the longest time the northeast didn't really know what they were. Not anymore - now I see them every morning! Now we've added fresh hot pancakes from our custom made pancake machine. You've got to try them out!

Reviewed August 27, 2011

This Hotel is a very nice hotel. The rooms where clean and the staff was very helpful. The only fault I have with this hotel, is that I felt it was a little expensive for a hotel in Poughkeepsie. At $150.00 a night seemed high, but over all a great stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo

Hello -
Thanks for staying with us. Dutchess County area in August can be very very busy but if you're looking for a quick quiet getaway with some different options inthe winter time - definitely come see us - things aren't nearly as hustle and bustle and there are some incredibly great deals to be had during that time. We look forward to you next visit!

Reviewed August 23, 2011

Our regular hotel was not available so we stayed here. The room was clean things were very much to our liking. Morning breakfast was more than other places where we have stayed and there is someone specifically keeping everything full and stocked. The one tip I would give is: there were 3 of us and only 2 towels which we did not realize until our morning showers. I would just double check on arrival if you have more than 2 people staying in the room.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Hi there -
Thanks for the tip! We are always looking to make sure our guests are happy with their stay. We'll definitely double check the number of people checking in so they'll have enough towels - great idea!
I'm glad you enjoyed breakfast!

See you soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Poughkeepsie
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie
Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel
Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel
#6 of 13 in Poughkeepsie
Hampton Inn by Hilton New Paltz NY

Been to Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie? Share your experiences!