“Roach Motel!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Poughkeepsie
New Haven, Connecticut, United States
“Roach Motel!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Keep in mind, we came up to Poughkeepsie for one night...
The website makes this place look wonderful for the price, but it's almost completely different when you get there. My sister, her friends and I arrived and were questioning whether it was the place we had reserved. I decided to check in to make sure. After I check in, I walked outside and found a guy spraying the front window with a hose and he got water all over me and didn't even acknowledge I was there. Then, we go to our room, not realizing that it was a motel feel where you drive up to your room. We enter the room, not thinking it was too bad until we lifted the sheets and found remnants of food and hair pins and a stain.The bathroom smelled horrible as well. As we debate about staying there we notice three young kids enter the room next to us, they stunk of pot. Then we go to grab something to eat nearby and ask a waitress if this "inn" is okay to stay at. She didn't even have to say anything, her facial expression said it all. So we went back immediately (during our dinner) and attempted to get our money back. As my sister packs up the car, I go to the front desk and explain nicely to the receptionist that this place is not what I expected and that our room is dirty. She tried to convince me that I couldn't get my money back because we have been renting the room for more than 15 minutes (whatever!). I explain to her again what I saw, she pauses and goes to a back room to talk to someone for some time. She then comes back and says she will void the charge, but she also wants to take pictures of the mess. She said she supposedly has issues with the housekeeping employees. So here I am two nights later and I look up my credit card account and it's NOT voided so now I have to waste more time tomorrow on this h*ll hole to get my money back. DO NOT stay here. By the way, we stayed at the Courtyard Marriot (right down the street) for $70 more a night but it was well worth it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
5 Thank Leah N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Ithaca, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Late on a weekday night, my 2 teenagers & I needed a room with a cot.3 other motesl either didn't have cots or were far too expensive.These folks were reasonable & accommodating. Air conditioning worked well and I slept like a baby. Coffee & donuts in the morning. It is an older motel but I found it clean and functional. PeteH 8/6/12

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Peter H
Melville, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Do not stay here! Yes, it is in a great location and close to colleges but it is dirty. The rooms are old and are in dire need of renovation. Bedding is old, carpets stained, and bathroom smells like urine. I would have rather of sleep in my car! Never again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Silvie3
Sellersville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

I have been staying here on a weekly basis for several years, and still find the rooms clean and renovated. The staff here is very helpful for whatever I might need. There is room for truck parking and several choices for food within walking distance as well as next door. Property is clean and access from route 9W is easy on and easy off.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

Do NOT stay at this place. Chalk up the extra money for the Holiday Inn. Even the Super 8 is better than here. If there are no rooms available anywhere else in Poughkeepsie except here; do yourself a favor and stay down in Fishkill. Its worth the drive. Marist friends, family, alumni - do not stay here! Yes its one of the closest hotels to campus but so not worth it. The owners should be ashamed of themselves. There is no reason this place should look like this.

• Stayed September 2011
7 Thank HOTEL0000
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

Stayed here because it was the closest vacant hotel near Vassar College. In short I paid $300 to sleep in dirt for 2 nights. As soon as I walked in the room I was greeted by the cheap decor of a street walkers work place & a horrible smell that remained throughout my stay. Everything in the room smelled!! The bathroom was far from clean....the shower looked like nobody cleaned it since the place was built. There were stains everywhere...on the walls, floors, toilets, & tub. The sheets were paper thin & although they didnt smell...the rooms odor made it very hard to sleep. I was also bothered by the fact that you had to go to the front desk for an iron, to place additional money on your room to make phone calls, & other things I thought just came with the room. Now I knew before coming to stay here I wasnt going to the Hilton but honeslty I would have rather saved my money & slept in my car. I slept fully dressed & took showers with flip flops on. Lastly, I ALWAYS put the do not disturb sign on my door knob....for some reason room service bypassed the door sign, came in my room, replaced only the toilet paper & towels, while leaving the bed unmade. I hated every minute of my stay @ Poughkeepsie Inn.

Room Tip: stay in another hotel!!!!!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank bea_alice
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

The hotel is a no frills hotel in a great location with owners who will go out of their way
to make sure you have a pleasant stay. It is quiet and on open grounds with a tasty breakfast provided in the morning.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sumbyron
poughkeepsieinn, Director of Sales at Poughkeepsie Inn, responded to this review, May 10, 2011
Thank you so much for your feedback with your token of appreciation. We try our best to keep the stay of our guests as homely as possible with clean rooms and basic amenities.
Such comments help in boosting/our as well our teams moral so as to outshine your past stay as and when you come back. Once again, thank you.