“Stay away from this place...”

Red Roof PLUS Poughkeepsie
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Poughkeepsie
Reviewed June 26, 2010

When we checked in, our room smelled like sewage. The bedspread had holes in it and the pillowcases were dirty. It looked like someone had been living there for months. I would have just left immediately and gone to a different hotel. However, they do not refund money under any circumstances. We asked for a different room and were given one that was much better, but still not great. Our towels had huge holes in them and the hallways were filled with cigarette smoke. As for breakfast, would you eat anything from a place like this?? After complaining we were offered 15% off our next stay. Needless to say, there will not be a next stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank NwEnglndGrl
There are newer reviews for Red Roof PLUS Poughkeepsie

Reviewed May 2, 2010

There was no elevator. The phone did not work. There was a smell of mildew everywhere. There was a spider on the stairwell wall. There were punch holes in the wall and the bathroom door that have not been repaired. The price is at least thirty dollars above the value. Pay thirty dollars more and stay at the Poughkeepsie Grand or The Hampton Inn next door. This cannot be a typical Super 8.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank 1flyer
Reviewed March 2, 2010

I don't expect much staying in a super 8 but I. Didn't expect this, me and my husband checked in last minute because all other hotels were booked, when we arrived in the room there was a cocroach right on the dresser we imediateley went back to the front desk and asked for our money back the clerk had said they do not give refund, we explained the situation that we did not feel confortable staying after seeing that, the lady gave us horrible attitude and would not give us her managers number instead, cursed at us. We ended up staying in a room at the other side of the motel and in the morning spoke to another clerk who had apologized for the women and said he called his manager who was on vacation and had her peosnally call us and apologize and refunded us out money, I will never stay there again and I do not recommend it, dirty rooms bad smells. No breakfast and the breakfast bar, soda machines ate our money and dirty showers,

2  Thank irock121
Reviewed September 27, 2009

Had reservation. Checked-in, room had window that would not close. Asked for change, desk clerk said no other rooms available (this was in the afternoon, not evening). Asked again later and evening clerk was very helpful and switched us to an empty room. Both rooms had musty smell, both had burned out lightbulbs, one had exposed wiring coming out the wall, the second had an unattached light fixture hanging off the wall.

Breakfast bar was empty in the morning - no coffee, bagels, etc. Had to find desk clerk to restock. Wireless Internet very slow.

Room charge was excessive for this type of hotel. Poor value. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank wpawstravel
Reviewed August 18, 2009

My daughter and I stayed here for two nights while exploring colleges. The room was clean and comfortable and the staff was extremely helpful. The night clerk spent more than an hour chasing down a wi-fi card for me to use with my laptop (the internet connection is wi-fi only). The basics were good, but I never could decide which continent the 'continental breakfast' represented (Antarctica, I think) and the coffee was obviously made by a confirmed tea drinker. However, there are decent places to eat nearby.
It's a Super 8: I've stayed in better, I've stayed in worse. This one seemed a little pricey for what you get.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Fleagle
Reviewed May 30, 2008

My wife and I made reservations online months in advance for our daughter's graduation. When we arrived, reservation confirmation in hand - we were told that our reservation could not be found.

I showed them the reservation confirmation confirmation, and the fact that I had PAID on line for the rooms (79/night) for two nights, but the guy at the desk said that they were in the process of changing to a Comfort Inn, and had no access to the Super 8 reservation system. Just like the reviewer above, he offered me a room - with 2 full beds, not a king room - for the "discounted" price of an ADDITIONAL $90/night.

After a nightmarish hour wondering if we would have a place to stay for graduation, we lucked out on a cancellation at another hotel.

STAY AWAY! CAVEAT EMPTOR! One of my life's key moments (graduation) was almost destroyed by this crooks. I'm filing a complaint with the Dutchess County Dept of Consumer Affairs.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
4  Thank garyokeNh_Vt
Reviewed November 20, 2007

The hotel quoted a rate of $69.99 per night for two nights but had "lost" the reservation when we arrived and could not find it in the system. They charged us $99.99 per night for the two nights. It turns out they had made the reservation for a date exactly one month later--a fact discovered when the charge for a "no-show" showed up on our bill. An honest mistake--except that "Harry," the manager, refused to return calls about the mistake, refused to give his last name, refused to admit that the hotel made any such mistakes, insisted that the hotel never offered a rate of $69.99--despite the fact that it was on the no-show billl, and hung up on me when I asked a second time for his last name. This is the kind of treatment one expects in a third-world prison, not from Super 8 and "Harry."

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank PeterDamian