“Comfort Food at its Best”
Review of South Side Cafe

South Side Cafe
Ranked #122 of 277 Restaurants in Poughkeepsie
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Poughkeepsie, New York
“Comfort Food at its Best”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This family-owned and operated restaurant serves up the best comfort food around. They say the food is so good, one will think they kidnapped your mother! :)

I usually order a burger and fries or roast beef au jus sandwich. Their house ale is terrific; light and refreshing.

Their desserts are heavenly.

The service is always friendly and professional. They take great care of their patrons.

Visited September 2012

Red Hook, New York
“Best wings in the world”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I have been to this restaraunt many times and just wanted to tell people how good it is I have tried so many different meals here all being quite wonderful their soups are amazing if you like wings you have to try these always crisp and juicy amazing. The service here is some of the best I have ever had. There isn't much cons at all

McLean, Virginia
“Good Cooking”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

This restaurant has an interesting approach to service. All the servers are responsible for your table. While some reviewers find that too intrusive (being asked every 5 minutes whether you needed something), we found the service prompt and friendly. The servers were very professional, and their joint effort was seamless.
The menu is extensive, the prices are friendly, and the atmosphere is laid back.
We enjoyed the home made onion rings. I had the Chili and found it outstanding. The famous rice pudding was pretty good.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank TheMcLeanVAFive
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Real home cooking”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Do stop here if you are ready for good food in Poughkeepsie, NY. Not a fancy place but reasonably decorated. Come for the down home taste of properly prepared real food. NO fast food.
A great find and good value too.

• Visited November 2012
new jersey
“cheap food, weird atmosphere”
Reviewed April 26, 2012

If you are looking to stretch your dollars in the greater Poughkeepsie area, look no further. Everything was priced extremely well, but almost so well that it scared me with the quality of food that I was getting. I got a burger and my colleague got a steak. We were both pleased with our meal, but it wasn't anything to write home about. Very standard "diner" selections.
On a side note, the place has its own brew, the South Side Lager, which tastes exactly like Coors Light - so order if you're into that.

In regards to the atmosphere, I have never seen a place like it. Based on the reviews I was envisioning a hip, fifty's or southern type of decor. The decor here was all over the place. It's located in a strip mall so the outside of the place I really can't fault them for, but it's not inviting me in to eat. Then once inside, the thing that struck me the most was the vinyl white outdoor fencing that separated each of the tables (I'm guessing to make them more private and booth-like) but I thought it was just strange. Depending on where you looked on the wall, you'd see either old records or life jackets - the theme was a little all over the place. The staff was extremely attentive and polite. We did go on a Monday night and it was very uncrowded - I think we closed up the place at 830!

I'm not sure if I'll be back, but I don't regret my visit either. If you are looking for cheap good eats in the area, this is your place!

• Visited April 2012