“Convenient for work, but ...”

Residence Inn Poughkeepsie
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Poughkeepsie
Reviewed June 8, 2012

This hotel was very convenient to my office, and at the right price, so it was the best choice. However, a few less than stellar items. The breakfast selection and quality was not up to what I would consider standard for Residence Inns. I ended up having breakfast at the Starbucks next door 2 out of 5 mornings. The bed was too soft for my taste (I have had worse though), but the pillows were useless. According to the staff, the hotel was recently refurbished. While it looked nice, the dresser in my room was broken (bottom drawer would not open at all), middle drawer was off the track. AC was VERY loud and opening the windows at night was not an option as there was noisy equipment outside. Also, the exhaust fan in the bathroom was incredibly loud and rattled.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing "out". Any room facing the lobby area will hear noise from equipment...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jim E

Reviewed May 28, 2012

My son's baseball team was playing in a tournament in Newburgh, NY. Because it was the same weekend as West Point's graduation we had to look further out and ended up at this hotel. It had just recently been completely done over. Our three kids were excited as soon as we pulled up when they saw the basketball court and golf green. In between those and the indoor pool was a beautiful terrace which was fantastic for all of our baseball families to gather and relax together. The rooms were fantastic - very spacious. We are a family of five so hotel rooms have always been an issue. It was so nice to not be tripping over ourselves. A hot breakfast was included with the room price. The people who worked the front desk could not have been nicer and more accommodating. I would definitely stay there again. Location was nice too. Lots of things were an easy wall or drive away.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We wanted to take my Mother in Law to Culinary Institute in Hyde Park for lunch for Mother's Day. We decided to stay overnight and chose the Residence Inn. It was great an upgrade to a 2 bedroom suite made the stay very comfortable. It was beautiful and roomy. Free breakfast was very nice. Staff was friendly and indoor pool was very nice I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank DEL1_11
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Recently stayed here for a business trip where I was put up by a local group. I was very satisfied with the accommodations for the few days I was there. I was in a two-room suite where I had a living room/kitchen area with table and chairs, as well as an L-shaped couch and everything was very clean. The room was done in a somewhat modern design. The couch itself was not the most comfortable thing I've ever sat on, but it did its job. In the kitchen, I enjoyed a cup of tea once but otherwise didn't use it. It was well-appointed though with everything you might need for a longer stay. The room was freezing when I went in, but enjoyed that there was a regular thermostat for me to adjust the overall heat in the suite. Once I turned it up, it was very comfortable temperature wise. The separate bedroom and bathroom area was fairly spacious. The bed was very comfortable and they provided 6 pillows which was great since I like to double and triple up when I am laying and watching tv. I enjoyed having a tv in both the living area and the bedroom area as well.The shower/tub had great pressure, no complaints there. Having breakfast every morning was nice, standard "hot" breakfast fare from a hotel and complimentary coffee and tea all day. The only complaint I have is that I seemed to be near a heavy-footed neighbor who liked to walk around late at night. Additionally, I could hear someone talking, though very muffled, through the heating vent in my bedroom. After speaking to colleagues, I seem to have been the only one with this problem, so I may just have had a VERY loud neighbor all around! Would definitely stay again if I am in the area.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Our recent visit was met with a nice surprise. They renovated the hotel and added some nice upgrades. The beds were replaced and are now really comfortable!! Absolutely loved the new decor in the rooms and hallways. The breakfast is always great! I give kudos to Marriott for making a nice hotel even nicer!!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade when you check in....they are very accommodating!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 6, 2012

Very comfortable, friendly staff, and nicely appointed rooms with full kitchens. At this price point, I'd normally expect a continental breakfast. This was a full, hot breakfast--fresh eggs, sausages, home fries, and waffle maker added to the usual continental selections. Other little details such as free & reliable Wi-Fi, new TVs with HD service and good channel selection for the kids also made a difference. The adjacent shopping center (great diner, and a Red Robin next door) is also a nice option if you don't feel like getting into your car for dinner--plenty of options within a minute or two if you want to drive. The indoor pool & hot tub were clean. I didn't swim, but my daughter did find the water temperature of the pool to be a little cold for her liking.

Our travel plans required a lot of "downtime" at the hotel, which made this an especially good choice for our family.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Staff is very friendly and accommodating. Great hot breakfast includes fresh fruit. Rooms well appointed and clean. Good location within walking distance to restaurants and stores. Pool, exercise room and yoga classes offered on site. Hotel has recently undergone a complete renovation to upgrade and refresh rooms. Bed was super comfortable. Liked it so much I purchased the same mattress for home.

Room Tip: Rooms on south and west get sun all day. Be thorough in explaining your room and personal preference...
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo