“Nice surprise”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Such a nice location on the Hudson. Great ambiance, the service was top notch and the food was delicious. Presentation and flavors were very good. The duck breast, porterhouse, trout, salmon and pork chop were all good. The desserts were a step above. The homemade ice creams were some of the best I have ever had. I recommend the pear sorbet and the chocolate ice cream.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Friends had been here previously for lunch and enjoyed it, so we decided to try dinner here. What a disappointment. First off, you should be aware that this restaurant only serves beer and wine, though the bartender can make great drinks with sake and prosecco. The table service was fair. The food was the big disappointment. The ribeye steak was fatty. The pumpkin ravioli was thick, doughy and very tasteless. The apple fritters for dessert were tasteless as well. I'd only go back here to try lunch and then I'd try this restaurant during the summer when I'm sure the view is beautiful the weather would be nice. I'd pass on dinner...

Reviewed December 19, 2013

The Ice House on the Hudson in Poughkeepsie is in a beautiful setting, literally in the shadow of the Mid-Hudson bridge. The restaurant faces the Hudson, and the interior decor maintains the authentic flavor of the former ice house. There was a nice selection of draft beers, and the food was very good, but a little pricey. Our server provided excellent service, with good recommendations on the beer and menu selections.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

We went to the Ice House with close friends on a Saturday night in late October. We had a reservation for six people. We were seated at a long table directly in front of the main door to the restaurant. This made it a little difficult to talk to each other as every time the door opened to let people in it got quite noisy. Also, it was a little drafty sitting next to the door. I would imagine when it gets colder this could be a problem for this table. Our wait staff was young and energetic. They do know their menu and made recommendations to our table. Food was good but from the selections that we made, no one dish stood out as being exceptional. We all decided after the meal that we need to return and request a different table and give Ice House a second chance! You do have great views of the Hudson River and the Ice House does have a lively bar!

Reviewed November 18, 2013

I love the location, atmosphere, décor ad food here. Right on the river, the views are great. It can get noisy as the place fills up - the high ceilings seem to resonate the sound. I do think their prices are too high, but the food has been quite good each time I've come here. Looking forward to weather that will be amenable to dining outside. Regardless, it's a place I'd enjoy again easily. Service was prompt but could have been a bit more attentive - follow-up for water and just checking on diners would have been better.