“Food with no taste”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
“Food with no taste”
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I first saw the Palace Diner on our way to the Walk over the Hudson parking area. On the following Saturday we decided to take the train into New York City for the day. On our return to Hyde Park we decided to stop and have a quick dinner. Big mistake the food had absolutely no taste. I ordered an open face turkey sandwich with gravy even the gravy had no flavor. The plates were huge and the service was good but we would not recommend this Diner for dinner!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank John R

Poughkeepsie, New York
“Maybe good for an older crowd”
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I saw the billboard on route 9. It looked very enticing but didn't actually say Palace Diner we thought it was going to be a ritzy New restaurant called EAT. It was too funny when we pulled into the drive way and saw it was a diner; maybe that's the point at which we should have left. We waited for a while to be seated and eventually ordered breakfast: eggs, bacon, toast, an omlet and juice. We couldn't taste anything! The Orange juice was ok but everything else was just off. As we looked around we noticed that the other patrons were all white and elderly. Based on the interaction between the server and other patrons, they were regulars. So I rated it a 3 because we didn't like it but some folk may. Good luck.

• Visited September 2012
Poughkeepsie, New York
“Didn't Know”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My friend wanted a quick bite, so not a formal restaurant, late at night. I looked on Tripadvisor and listed were the regular ones along Route 9 that are okay to eat at, however, there was a "Palace Diner" with good reviews that I did not now about. It is just off Rt. 9 by St. Francis Hospital.

The Palace Diner is an attractive establishment both inside and out with a large parking area. The inside is large and reminds me of the 50-60's.

We both had tuna sandwiches with a side of potato salad. My friend had a ice cream soda and a piece of cake. Both he and I liked the meal very much. The service was very good and the prices reasonable.

I will definitely return.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Traveler2AM
New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Creme de la Creme of Diners”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Best diner ever! I have breakfast there a few times and really enjoyed it. This evening my husband and I went for dinner. We had a COLOSSAL salad. Truly there is no way one person can eat a salad that large alone! It was delicious! Let me not forget to mention the awesome sever Rob! He was a star! Back to the food. For dessert we ordered carrot cheese cake. When Rob brought it to the table I was floored! It was 6-7 inches tall. It was colossal too, not to mention delicious! So much cheese cake we took half of it home! Best diner is the world!

• Visited July 2013
Lewes, Delaware
“Back to the Fifties”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

After a nostalgic flashback dinner at the classic Eveready Diner in Hyde Park, my wife and I were delighted to discover another classic diner in Poughkeepsie while looking for the Walkway Over The Hudson. Naturally, we stopped at the Palace Diner for lunch.

It looks like a Fifties diner, all shiny stainless steel and glass on the outside, and inside booths with a juke box record selector (or whatever they were called) in each. And, of course, the formica-topped lunch counter with pedestal mounted plastic cake trays.

The menu is huge with a large selection of burgers, including a bison burger and a Kobe beef burger, along with all kinds of salads and sandwiches. They had one of my favorites: meatloaf on a Kaiser roll, and for my wife: a grilled Swiss and tomato on multigrain bread. We settled for diet Cokes, but there were ice cream sodas, rootbeer floats, fountain sodas, egg creams and whatever.

It was a great find and we thoroughly enjoyed our visit. It wasn't expensive (well, the sodas were a little high), and the service was good.

• Visited June 2013