“Simply great!!”

Walkway Over the Hudson State Historic Park
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Walkway Over the Hudson State Historic Park is a 19th century railroad bridge transformed into the world's longest elevated pedestrian park.
Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

A wonderful 1.25 mile walk across the Hudson-'the longest pedestrian bridge in rhe world. Great use of 1880s railroad bridge that was unused for over 30 years. Opened in 2009 it is 24 feet wide providing alot of space for walkers and bikers. Over 200 feet above the river there are spectacular views along the way. Parking and rest rooms on both sides. A great walk and it is free.

1  Thank Pnemiller

Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

I came here as a day trip from north NJ for my birthday yesterday. We parked on the Highland side in the metered parking (no quarters, just bills. have change because there is no person. It's just a box. I took a pic. ) There is street parking too along the area where the metered lot is. This is the second parking area down that street, the first connects to a trail. If you park by meter, there are spacious portopotty's and signs up about the history of the bridge. There are food carts and souvenirs (the souvenir shop closes early so get things before you walk). The views are spectacular. I must have taken a hundred pics of the same thing. They are building a glass elevator that will eventually take you down to the waterfront in Poughkeepsie. When we got to Poughkeepsie on the other side, we walked down the steps to Lola's for lunch. They were closed for 4th and 5th of July. We didn't know. Luckily I had written down an alternative place, Mill Street Brewing Company. The walk was very long and took you through some less attractive neighborhoods but when we found it, the food was really good and after, we walked over to 2 historic buildings nearby- the Poughkeepsie Journal and the post office. Make sure you actually go in and up to the second floor in the post office. There are beautiful murals depicting history. Walking through Poughkeepsie, it was like a ghost town with much need of revitalization. The walkway is probably as of right now the only draw to the city. The Walkway map shows that there are all of these places to visit on the Poughkeepsie side but besides for Lola's and Crave, I would just go back on the bridge. Seeing the historic buildings were amazing though. Sometimes you find incredible things off the beaten path.

2  Thank arielrose04
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We spend our summers in upstate NY & make it to the Walkway every year or other year. It was an old railway crossing over the Hudson River which they turned into a walkway for the public. It has great scenic views of the Hudson & the mountains. We park on the west side & walk to the east side, then back to the west. We always see lots of people & often meet people from all over. Interesting to speak with people from all over the country & some from other countries. Only negative is there is no shade. So if you go on a hot sunny day, be prepared. If you plan to be there on the 4th of July, they have an admissions only entry where you can watch some fireworks from the bridge. Normally no charge to stroll on the Walkway.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

There are two entrances to the Walkway. We chose to enter on the Poughkeepsie side. If you park in the official lot, you pay $5.00 to park. There is an adjacent lot that was free. The other side is Highland. In checking the website, it states that there are restrooms available, which is true. But they are nothing more than glorified port-a-pottys. There are food vendors at each end. The food vendor at the Highland entrance seemed a bit cleaner than the one at the Poughkeepsie entrance. The Hudson River is so dirty brown. Also, a good portion of the Walkway is over people's backyards! All in all, I was glad I went, but won't go back. It's over a two hour drive from Long Island. Not worth it.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

I waited years for this park. I walked out on the railroad bridge when there was only ties for footing. Today there is a paved surface, seating and come October an elevator for handicap access. The view encompasses the Mid Hudson Bridge, Poughkeepsie, Highland and beyond. The view of the valley and the river are serene. July 4th, I watched fireworks which were set off from a barge 200 ft below the walkway. July 5th, I walked the Hudson Valley Rail Trail to the walkway to watch hot air balloons launch from Marist College Boat House. They floated over the river then rose up to catch air currents to carry them over the valley.

1  Thank MiainNSB