“Good, but certainly nothing that would warrant some of the customer raves I've seen here.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Formosa Cuisine

Ranked #106 of 278 Restaurants in Poughkeepsie
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Seating, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Seating, Takeout
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

I came here because I read the high ratings and reviews by people who have eaten here. I went twice and can honestly say it is a good place that serves Taiwanese dishes and flavors, but nothing lived up to the over-the-top raves. What concerned me most is that people said there were fresh vegetables. I found the vegetables no better or worse than any other Asian restaurant. They were just average Chinese vegetables soaking up brown sauce or in soup. People need to stop writing misleading ecstatic reviews unless the places live up to them. However, I will go again because it was tasty and the decor was bright and interesting. But as a vegetarian, there weren't too many options. Also, everything i had seemed just salty or overpowering with onion flavor. I would have enjoyed a few more subtle flavors. This place is very good, but not much different than any other Chinese place. Don't get your hopes too high by those that describe it as some sort of Asian version of a Michelin rated fine restaurant, because it's not. Also, my noodle dish- the noodles seemed overcooked, but maybe they're supposed to be that way. Oh, the Udon was very good. Service just fine. Nice people there.

• Visited September 2013

Poughkeepsie
“Yummy food--waitstaff not great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

I have passed this place many times and thought "this is a hole in a wall". Did not think it was a popular place. Then my son had said he has eaten there and said it was great. I checked Trip Advisor and people even said the food is great. So off we went.
It is a small place. We were seated right away. Wait staff needs to put on smiles--and not once were we asked how everything was. But don't let that make your decision about going here or not.
The food was wonderful. I had the Kung Pao Chicken--huge portion and great. Hubby had the Kung Pao Shrimp--loved it. My son had his usual Chicken fried rice---I tried it and it was AWESOME.
We will defintely be back.

• Visited July 2013
Connecticut
“Authentic Taiwanese food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

I was in Poughkeepsie recently - did a little research on Asian food - almost all reviewers liked Formosa. They serve real Chinese food - you'd have to go to a large city chinatown to taste this kind of cuisine. We ordered pork buns, wonton noodle soup, pork fried rice, tofu w/ eggplant,and a dish with pork, chives, black beans, and century egg - delicious! Definitely worth driving a hour for.

• Visited June 2013
NY
“Taiwanese at Marist!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

While searching for the best noodles in the Poughkeepsie area I decided to try Formosa Cuisine.
I don't think I ever had Taiwanese but I loved the noodles.Everything else was good,received service with a smile also very nice atmosphere..I think I would like to try the upper level next time..Only problem was parking..If you're not familiar with the area it will be hard to find..Located across route 9 from Marist College South in a very small strip mall..It's on the west side of the strip mall,,also very close to Saint Francis hospital..

• Visited May 2013
“Different and delicious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

We have been searching for a good Chinese restaurant in the area. Saw the sign for many years and finally decided to try it.
The atmosphere was lovely. The service good although most of the staff we met didn't speak English well...does that make it more authentic?
The food was tasty although my one complaint was it was slightly greasy.
The restaurant offers dishes I've not seen before and they offered us a tasting of something we had inquired about.
We'll certainly return.