“Very eclectic oriental food”
Review of Bull and Buddha - CLOSED

Bull and Buddha
Cuisines: Asian, Latin, Fusion
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Bull and Buddha is located in a newly restored building in the heart of Poughkeepsie's revitalized Main Street. Offering a chic yet casual setting, Bull and Buddha blends an understated urban interior with exotic Asian design elements, including a hand-carved two ton Buddha that greets entering guests from behind the bar. Bull and Buddha offers Modern Pacific Cuisine, with influences spanning from Peru to Japan, and an emphasis on local and seasonal ingredients. The diverse menu offers 26 dishes, each carefully selected and designed for sharing, while our beverage program focuses on the basics done well: bold cocktails, balanced sake and fine tequila. We are excited for you to experience our vision.
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Went to Bul and Buddha for dinner and had a very nice experience. Service is great and food is very eclectic. They have their own version of everything they put in the menu and it taste good. I personally did not like the bitterness and aftertaste of my dish but the rest of the dishes were good and the desserts too.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

After visiting Bull and Buddha again last night, I feel I must amend my prior review, done quite some time ago. A little while back, I had read that they were closing to re-vamp their menu. They re-opened at first on a limited basis, then full opened. Last night, my girlfriend and I visited for the first time since their "re-boot", and we can no longer recommend the restaurant. The delicious assortment of bread and a hummus-like dip that used to greet us upon our arrival have been replaced with overly spicy (and greasy) shrimp puffs (chips?). The menu has gotten very strange, with nearly every dish containing at least one ingredient that would steer me clear of it. There were only two or three entrees on the menu that I would even consider. While I was promised that they still made my favorite cocktail (pear-sake margarita), moments later I was informed that they were out of the pear ingredient. My salad and our entrees were fine, but not exceptional - certainly nothing I'd hurry back to downtown Poughkeepsie for. Finally, the decor in the back room is dusty and in need of a serious cleaning, and there are broken tiles in the restroom that have not been replaced. It's as if the original vision is gone and they have lost the passion for what they do. Very sad. We can no longer recommend this as the exceptional experience it once was.

2  Thank vpmad1
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Bull and Buddha was fantastic. The lighting and atmosphere were fantastic. The service was friendly and helpful. The price was reasonable. Overall it was a great experience and I'd recommend it to everyone.

1  Thank RamyA397
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Recently brought my daughter there to celebrate her college acceptance. I have been to this restaurant several times when it was run by the previous owners, so I didn't know what to expect. The food was delicious from appetizer to dessert. The service was excellent. The manager even showed us the upstairs which I asked to see, because I might book a graduation party there. Of course the menu has changed, but what we did order was quite good.
My only concern was that on a Friday evening it was quite empty. I remember a time when if you walked in without a reservation, even on a weeknight, there was a long wait at the door. Couldn't understand it, because the food was very good and reasonable ( an appetizer, two entrees ,including salmon, drinks, and dessert came to 68), which I thought was reasonable given the quality of the food. The dessert we had was amazing, my daughter and I were fighting over it. Anyway, hope the word gets out about this place so that it will grow as it should.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

When I heard about this restaurant coming soon, I was really looking forward to it.
As advertised, the decor was impressive. I especially liked the light around the Sushi bar.
My friend & I were in a great mood when we started but that was soon crushed. We brought out our new electric cigarettes & proceeded to puff occasionally when our waiter informed us that these non-cigarettes were not allowed there. We assured him that there was no smoke created & that these were not real cigarettes. He repeated that the owners do not allow fake cigarettes to be used in any area of the restaurant. My friend, who was using this method to help her quit smoking was quite unhappy about this rule. Where would they draw the line? Would they allow candy or gum cigarettes? Or are they banned too? Both of us decided right then & there that we would not be returning to this unwelcoming place with a ridiculous rule. In addition, the food was over priced with small portions. It's too bad because I wanted to like it.