“very nice, Poughkeepsie”

Shadows on the Hudson
Ranked #4 of 277 Restaurants in Poughkeepsie
Cuisines: American
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Shadows on the Hudson, the Hudson Valley's Premier Waterfront Dining, is located in Poughkeepsie, NY. Our building is perched on a cliff 40 feet above the Hudson River and just 50 feet from its eastern bank. This prime riverfront location affords us one-of-a-kind, truly grand views of the Mid-Hudson Bridge to the north and a majestic riverview to the south. The interior design of the restaurant sets Shadows apart from any other establishment in the area. Guests have five different dining areas to choose from. If you choose the casual and warm Sunset Room or the ultramodern Winter Room you will feel like you are dining in Manhattan or Vegas, while the West & South Deck and True River spaces provide commanding views of the Hudson River during all four seasons. Shadows seasonal menu has a broad appeal with a focus on Seafood and Steaks. The goal of the menu is to create a place where families could afford to eat more than once a week and that would still appeal to couples out for a special night on the town. Shadows will also cater your small lunch or dinner party for groups of 20 - 100.
Vermont
“very nice, Poughkeepsie”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

What a nice venue overlooking the Hudson River.

Two who grew up in the area long ago returned for a weekend. We met a friend for dinner at the Shadows. What a great location with view of the river.

The weather was fine for outdoor dining, but the outside tables were too noisy for us as conversation was a main reason for meeting. Our waitress was most accommodating in moving us indoors to a quieter table. She then handed us over to a waiter for the balance of the evening. Good job, staff.

The menu has a wide range of entrees and prices. Two had lighter fares (salmon BLT and chicken Caeser salad), I went for the seared Ahi tuna. All were excellent and reasonably priced. Service was excellent.

The place was hopping, and it is not surprising.

We hope to return the next time we're in Pok.

• Visited September 2013

Newburgh, New York
“A special Anniversary Dinner”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Last Sunday we went to Shadows to celebrate my in-laws 54th anniversary. We got there just after their popular brunch. We were seated out on the deck and our waiter Mike was quick to come over, introduce himself and take our drink orders. BEsides enjoying the beautiful views, the meal was well timed and Mike was one of the best servers we have had in our area in a long time. Drinks arrived promptly and we all enjoyed them. The Acai Caiparinha I ordered was a bit like an adult kool aid, so I switched to one of my favorite Reislings. We enjoyed Szechuan chicken lettuce cups as a table appetizer. The bread sticks that were brought out were delicious and well seasoned. My husband's parents had lobster - my F-I-L had twin lobsters and M-I-L had twin lobster tails. My husband had Chicken parmesan which he enjoyed and took half home. I ordered the seared scallops with Basmati rice and sauteed spinach - yummy! Also took half of that home with a little lobster left from my F-I-L. We ordered desserts and without my asking or prompting, Mike made sure that my in-laws special occasion was recognized - both of their desserts had Happy Anniversary written in chocolate on their dessert plates. He tried to add candles, but the breeze kept blowing them out! Perfect meal, setting and celebration - but the star was definitely Mike! Hope Shadows knows that they have a star!

1 Thank NewMrsC326
Columbia, Maryland
“Did my wedding rehearsal dinner here”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Had 40 people on the outside balcony for my wedding rehearsal dinner here in August 2013. Staff was very friendly and helpful, lots of kids running around.

The views were amazing and everyone had a great time. The food was excellent and the price was great for the amount of people we had. Bartender made a good G&T.

Visited August 2013
Hackensack, New Jersey
“Outside Seating Offers Fantastic Experience”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I am giving this restaurant five stars based upon a Saturday dinner experience and the fact that we were lucky enough to sit outside right next to the rail on the river. Upon leaving and walking through the main dining room, the inside seating area seemed very crowded, noisy, and chaotic. Some seating appeared to be crammed into an isolated booth-filled room where you would never know you were close to the river, and walking out was difficult due to the standing/moving crowd. The inside is decorated in a very modern and elegant manner. From outside there is a fantastic, elevated view of the bridge & river, and you can see the walkway in the distance. The food and service were both great. The crowd and noise level was just right. Prices and portion sizes are quite reasonable for what seems to be a relatively higher end restaurant. There are places to walk around by the river before or after dinner. Although I have visited only once, my guess is that going early and sitting outside would provide the best experience on peak evenings.

1 Thank JimmB30
Poughkeepsie, New York
“Great views! Mediocre food and service”
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

The view and outside dining is wonderful! The service was less responsive than I like to see and the food is a bit commercial tasting. However they do have a nice way of presenting each plate. I wouldn't give up on this place as it is just worth the view alone. It got very loud as the evening grew as the Restaurant turns into a nightclub in the late evening. Overall not a bad establishment, however could use service and culinary improvements.