“Best Thin-Crust in Hudson Valley?! Really?”

Aloy's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #19 of 285 Restaurants in Poughkeepsie
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We came for the pizza because that’s what the reviews said. To say we were disappointed would be an understatement. Speaking for myself, perhaps I’m a pizza snob. I mean, I’ve been eating Pepe’s Pizza and Modern Apizza in New Haven since the early 70s. I really enjoy a good pizza but, heck, I enjoy just about any pizza be it thick or thin crust, deep dish or not. This pizza I (we) did not enjoy. To describe it as similar to frozen pie you would get from a supermarket would be an insult to real frozen supermarket pies. One of my dining companions recalled that it reminded her of the pizza that Caldor used to serve at their luncheon counters (now, I didn’t even realize that Caldor even had luncheon counters but that could be a repressed memory). We came for the pizza… we won’t come again for the pizza.

But we probably will come again to give the rest of the menu a chance. You see, my 12-year-old daughter ordered lamb chops that came out of the kitchen hot and perfectly prepared (medium-rare) served with real, tasty mashed potatoes along with a generous serving of fresh ratatouille. This dish was devoured while the rest of us jealously re-thought our choices. The little tastes of her dish that I was allowed confirmed her better decision.

It’s obvious that Aloy’s is an old, old favorite of the locals and our server, who was friendly, efficient and unobtrusive, was proud to tell us that their pasta was homemade. As we left, I observed some pretty good looking plates being enjoyed by some of the established clientele. I think I’d like to try some of those dishes out.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Since we discovered Aloy's in April, our visits have gradually increased in frequency until now we have become "regular customers". It makes total sense to come here often, our kids love the pizza (and so do we) and my wife and I just love the food. The staff is always in a good mood and always smiling keeping an upbeet & pleasant atmosphere.

The reason for this review is that on tonight's visit we found out that they just introduced a new menu. Most of the traditional favorites are still available but they added a wonderful "Specialties" section which has some great new dishes.

I had a stuffed eggplant with prosciutto, spinach, and several cheeses. My wife tried a chicken and shrimp dish with vegetables over pasta. Both were out of this world! We were also happy to know that a fresh garden salad is still included with every meal, and the portions remain generous. We also noticed that more attention is being paid to the appearance of the food.

It is worth the 30 minute drive everytime. We look forward to another visit to try some of the other new dishes. Definitely worth looking beyond the outside appearance of the place because once inside, it's a different world!

1  Thank HansV64770
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Went for dinner to Aloy's based on Trip Advisor ratings. Got disappointed first with balsamic vinaigrette, that had badly separated and tasted only of oil. The day's special shrimp pasta had been microwaved steaming hot, flavor was bland and only 5 shrimps in a portion. Service was good, but because of food I wouldn't recommend the restaurant.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We just had another wonderful evening at ALOY'S RESTAURANT. Bringing my Sister in Law and her friend to our favorite Italian Restaurant proved to be another wonderful night out. Oh should mention my two Grandsons Daughter and Son in Law came with my Wife and I and the others mentioned.
Service was GREAT as always, food was almost as good as my wife's cooking, but she didn't have to do anything and I didn't have to wash the dishes. Everyone in our group of eight, enjoyed the Service, Food and that Italian Music that is always playing in the background. My oldest Grandson said "Hey isn't this the place you always get your pizza from?" He is only seven ...... Must be a good thing when he remembers the places in town. .... Thank you ALOY'S

2  Thank PoughkeepsieShaun
Reviewed June 9, 2013

On my latest visit to Aloy's, my friends and I enjoyed a large garlic pizza as our appetizer. We then all had our main entrees; chicken parm, swordfish and ravioli... All were superb, as were our salads and fresh, warm bread.

The restaurant is off the beaten path a bit in the city of Poughkeepsie ~ not in the nicest of surroundings; however, once you're inside, you're in a world of garlic-y delights.

I highly recommend Aloy's to natives as well as to visitors passing through.

1  Thank Sunflowre