“Great Place to Stay in a Lovely Area”

Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Poughkeepsie
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Could not have asked for a nicer hotel in a very convenient location. Room was spacious, clean and beautiful and everything about our 5 day stay was so pleasant. I think it is the nicest Hampton Inn we have stayed at.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank UPenngirl
GMHamptonInn_Suites, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2011

We are so delighted to read that you have had great experiences while staying at our hotel. It is great to read you’ve enjoyed the location and feel that we are the nicest Hampton Inn you ever stay at. Thank you for choosing Hampton Inn & Suites in Poughkeepsie and we look forward to hosting you again.

Reviewed November 26, 2011

A very good hotel. Would recommend over the older hotels in the area. Nice restaurant shares the same parking lot.

• Stayed: November 2011

We appreciate you filling out our review on TripAdvisor! the staff is greatly invested in their property, looking to provide the best in comfort and cleanliness. Thank you for noticing their efforts, we hope to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed November 16, 2011

We came into the hotel, as a mini getaway after getting married a few days earlier. The first night was fine. We checked in and was given the wrong room. An easy change into the correct room. We had the do not disturb sign in the door, I took it out at 10am the next day. We left the hotel and came back at 2pm. The room was still a mess. The housekeepers were next door so we got dressed for the pool ( which was another disaster) and left. An hour later the room was still not done. We called the front desk and we were told that the housekeepers left for the day. Somebody brought up the towels for us.
The pool was another disaster. We went to the whirlpool and saw that there was a out of order sign over the timer for the jets. It said out of order. We said ok the jets are not working but the water was still hot and walked into the whirlpool. About 10mins later, I noticed that the color was faded on my swimmsuite. The whirlpool had a chemical imbalance. It completely ruined our clothes. We called the manager and he told us that the whole whirlpool was out of order. He said there should have had a bigger sign stating the issue.
LOng story short, we met with the general manager the next day, and she basically called us liars about the housekeeping issue. To get rid of us she refunded one night stay out of our 2 night stay.
We will NEVER stay at this hotel ever again and suggest you don't either!!

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Steven D
Reviewed November 12, 2011

I've stayed in many Hampton Inn properties and this is by far the best I have experienced. From the moment we stepped in, it had a feel of high class but not snooty. The girl who helped us was very pleasant and even offered us freshly baked cookies upon arrival.

The room was quite large and very clean from the large flat screen tv to the huge king bed and enormous bathroom. The room even had a live plant by the window. It felt like I was at home.

The breakfast area was so clean and the tables had granite tops which was very elegant. At night, we were able to help ourselves to coffee and even popcorn and fruit. In the morning, we did not feel rushed or crowded. This property had a much larger selection of food at the Breakfast than others I have stayed at. For example, they had a huge vat of oatmeal with sides such as brown sugar, granola and sliced almonds and several different types of juice. Of course, they still had the standard waffle makers and pastries. The woman maintaining the area made sure everything was clean. I have been to other properties where the waffle batter was all over. This was definiltey not the case here! VERY CLEAN and organized! Upon leaving, we were offered "to go" bags with water, fruit, granola bar and a muffin. This was very nice for our drive home.

The surrounding area was also great. Loaded with restaurants and a shopping mall nearby. Yet not far from our visit to the Culinary Institute and FDR house, etc.j

The pool and work out area was top notch. Very clean up to date. I would definitely stay at the property again when we come back to the dutchess county area. We had a relaxing visit and enjoyed our time at the Hampton Inn.

Thank you Hampton Inn for another great vacation experience!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2011

This hotel was great. Not only did they charge normal prices during a huge power outage that had their phone ringing off the hook with room requests, but they were also very understanding and allowed our small dog to stay in the room with us (despite their helper animal only pet policy).

The room we stayed in was spacious and clean. The warm breakfast that they offered was average but tasty. There were plenty of amenities and the staff was friendly and helpful.

I'd recommend a stay here any time, especially over some of the other area hotels which are nowhere near this standard of service and cleanliness.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 2, 2011

the room was very nice. we stayed here because we were without power. When i went to check in the Ast. Mgr checked me in and was pretty much non receptive. I looked at the sign at the end of the desk and it stated the TV was out of service. He failed to mention at check in and I guess I was supposed to just read the sign. But when asked he said it was a Cablivision issue in the whole area. We found out later it was only them but it was not their fault. Understandable. The internet service was so slow that i could not listen to internet radio or download movies. So I went out to get a movie to play on my laptop and hook up to the TV. The remote did not have that ability to change the source and no one at the hotel could tell me how either. The night clerk gave me a remote to try but it didn't work.
So bottom line is no entertainment at all for $170 a night. So at check out I got lucky to have the Mgr. check me out. So i said I had a number of issues. So immediately got defensive. when I mention the TV hookup issue she said to me twice that the remote could change the source on the TV then finally he co-worker corrected her. She then changed her story to that they didnot want guests using the TV that way. then I brought up the internet and she immediately told that the internet was fine. When I explained that internet would not get TV or radio she sternly stated the internet was fine. At this point i was furious and started arguing back at her. She is rude and has no customer skills at all. Any other hotel i stayed would have said we understand and most of the problems was due to the storm. She basically called me a liar and I am not going to take from anyone especially hotel management. I have been in sales for 30 years and make at least twice if not three times what she makes and I didn't get there because I called my customers liars. it was appalling that she could not handle a simple complaint. I talked to 2 other business people who stayed there and both of called the internet dial up speed. after this I understood why the ast manager acted that way to me. I had to ask him if he had my HH # usually at check in the welcome you as a HH honor Diamond member and thank you. NO mention and no amenity.
I asked the manager who she reports to and she you have to contact Hampton Inn complaint and when asked for the number she ridiculed me and said you are HH member and don't know the number. I am not sure if Hilton changed their management training program to how to tick off customers but they might want to call Hyatt and find out how to act like a Manager. I wouldn't stay here again if it was free unless she is gone. She told me I was insensetive to the local people which I was one of them. Never ever treated like that and I travel 3 weeks a month. $170 a night no TV, No usable internet, no TV hookup ( Hyatt Place has that in every room) OH she did mention that they had movies in the lobby and they did but my wife is a teacher and neither of us wanted to watch a movie in a room full of kids. Sorry but that was supposed to be the entertainment for the hotel. I give them credit for that no excuse for the internet or knowing how to hook up a HDMI jack to the TV. There is no way she should be in the position she is so if you stay don't complain because they can't handle it.

Room Tip: Don't go here. Go to Marriott or Holiday Inn down the road.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
GMHamptonInn_Suites, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and observations. We value your opinion and take all comments very seriously. Unfortunately due to the recent storm that affected North East Region we had lost our Cable Services while the surrounding area experienced severe power outages we were fortune to only have our Cable Service affected. We were able to provide safe and warm housing during this very difficult time for our community in need. Yes our Cable Service was interrupted for two days and due to that fact we had lowered our rates. Additionally we tried to provide some entertainment by setting up a movie projector and showing rented latest movies for all of our guests in house. Although I understand that this was an inconvenience we do feel that we did our very best under extreme emergency circumstances. As to the internet service - hotel was fully booked with additional members of the community accessing the internet for their work, entertainment and other needs at this same time. Therefore it is possible that our internet service was slower than normal. We can assure you that during that difficult time period for everyone in the community we had only guest’s best interest in mind.

Reviewed October 30, 2011

Our family made a last minute trip to Poughkeepsie for a funeral and all the staff at the hotel made our stay as pleasant as possible. Special mention to the staff tending to the morning breakfast, food was always topped off and this place offers so much more than just a generic continental breakfast with a lot of very healthy options (oatmeal, fresh fruit, yoghurt, eggs different ways, etc.). The rooms were clean, spacious and the beds were very comfortable. A big thank you to the entire staff that made our stay one less concern or worry for us- we felt at home and were able to rest.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
GMHamptonInn_Suites, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2011

Thank you very much for your wonderful comments. We are so glad that you felt comfortable at our hotel during a very difficult time for you. We hope that you are able to stay with us again soon and enjoy the beautiful Hudson Valley area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Poughkeepsie
Best Western Plus The Inn & Suites At The Falls
Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel
Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel
#5 of 13 in Poughkeepsie
Hampton Inn by Hilton New Paltz NY

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie? Share your experiences!