“Nice place to spend an hour or so”

Natural Stone Bridge and Caves
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: 23 Miles north of Lake George & 90 min south of Lake Placid, hike self-guided tour & explore the Largest Marble Cave Entrance in the East, waterfalls, gorge, caves and much more: guided adventure tours, gemstone mining, 18 hole disc golf, climbing walls, dino digs, crystal quest & gold rush mines, picnic & playgrounds, butterfly exhibit and an extensive rock, fossil and gift shop. Rental units available. Open every day late May - mid Oct (variable hours, check website) and Fri-Sun 10am-4pm from mid Dec - mid March for Snowshoe Tours of the Stone Bridge and surrounding property.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed August 14, 2013

This is an interesting place to hike with some nice features but it's not easy to navigate. The cave you can walk into with the water rushing through the rocks is the best. It's not easy to get really good pictures here the way wires are run and parts are roped off. I found the stairways quite challenging because they are narrow and very uneven so I would not recommend for young children or people that fear falling. I think the best part for kids is the rock shop and they aren't all that cheap but getting your geode cut is fun. My recommendation is to look for the little basket in the back corner that has geodes guaranteed to be hollow that cost a bit more and I could not find any "lighter ones" in the regular selection bins.

All reviews
"rainy day"
"geodes"
in 17 reviews

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Went to the natural stone bridge and caves with my family and it was really a nice place to visit. The views were incredible and peaceful. You could buy just about any gem but what I really liked is you could purchase a geode and have them cut it open for you and you get to see the inside for the first time in 44 million years, and who knows what's in there. Really cool. Definitely would recommend if you are in the area!

Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

My entire family from 70 year old grandpa to 2 year old daughter had a wonderful time!! Some of the areas are a little hard to climb and we did need to take several breaks. Make sure you bring a couple if waters for your party and make sure you grab walking sticks. They make a big difference in some of the tougher climbing areas. Make sure you buy the mining dirt and hunt for semi precious gens and don't miss the Dino hunt!! My 2 year olds fm favorite part!!

2  Thank Cindyanne1131
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Wonderful side trip less than ½ hr from Lake George. Wear good shoes and bring a camera. My son picked out a geo (pick one that feels hollow-not so heavy) and he got to open it himself. It was a great experience. He loved the walking stick. The gift shop here is pretty nice.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My child (6) is not a hiker, but this trail and all the things along to explore were a perfect introduction to hiking. We were all fascinated with the trail and the views. They did a great job of making what would be a very difficult trail to hike, a trail that most people with good mobility can do, as long as they are properly dressed in footwear.

I was actually more impressed than I expected to be. My son was happy to just explore the trail and was not interested in other (for cost) things. But I suggested he might want to try the "mining" for gems. Well you buy a bag of sand which you put through the water in the mine. I was surprised to see how many rocks were actually in the bag of sand. I almost wish I had bought him the bigger bag of rock/ sand. I bought a $6 geode which they sawed in half. I love it. I want to go back and get another geode next time. They have all sized of geodes and I bought the smallest, but they cut it for me and I like it.

I really liked the rock shop too, so if you love rocks, this is a place to hang out.