“Good food friendly service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Black Bear

Black Bear
Cuisines: American, Bar, Diner
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: breakfast lunch dinner /bar
new york
“Good food friendly service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Had lunch here after visiting railroads on parade. The food was good. We had cheeseburgers and onion rings. The staff was extremely friendly and the prices reasonable.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank cf327

Chestertown, New York
“Wonderful Adirondack Atmosphere, Good Homecooked Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

First of all, the photo above is not the Black Bear in Pottersville, where there are no palm trees, only pine trees! If you google the Black Bear Restaurant in Pottersville, NY you will find some real pictures. There's a lot of history here, and the Black Bear has been a stop for travellers since the 1920's. It's been expanded over the decades and is popular with locals and tourists. It's a great family diner with a genuine Adirondack decor inside and out, including the stuffed black bear! The food is not fancy gourmet fare, but it's hearty and tasty. We go on a regular basis for breakfast and lunch, I recommend the sausage gravy over biscuits, it's the best around! Service is very friendly, cheerful and helpful, coffee is great and it's a pleasure to eat here. Prices are very reasonable. There is a separate bar area on the other side of the building that's a popular stop for locals and tourists alike. There's usually a crowd for both the diner and bar during the summer, especially during Americade, and lots of snowmobilers in the winter. For those who might have stopped coming in the past because of the lack of air-conditioning, they have upgraded and the Black Bear is now air-conditioned and very comfortable. It's also right across the road from Railroads On Parade, an awesome model train museum which I have also reviewed.

I am a new member of trip advisor who has been accused by the owner of Suzie Q's in Brant Lake in a rebuttal to my negative review of having ulterior motives and not reviewing his restaurant right after my last visit. If I had known trip advisor existed at the time we stopped going there, I would have. He seems to think I only publish negatives, he didn't respond to the actual problem I described and how my family was treated and he expressed concern that we might never be able to find a place we like to eat. Well, here it is. The very next exit up the Northway (Exit 26, Black Bear is a few hundred yards off the exit), a mere 3 minutes more to be treated like a valued customer. I will publish a few more recommendations of GOOD restaurants in the area as well. Enjoy your trip!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Anonymous537
Palm Bay, Florida
“Overall good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

There was one waitress that was very unfriendly and gave us dirty looks. We had a large group and my two year old was having a bad morning. Food was good.

Visited June 2013
rochester new york
“great food good prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Nice place for family and food is good the prices are reasonable. It's right outside before the entrance so you can eat after your trip

Visited July 2012
Schenectady, New York
“Good food / great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

We have been regular visitors to the Black Bear for many years. The food is very good and priced right. The service is always friendly. Our grandson especially loves the "pizza".

They have regular specials, and the soups are delicious. This is a good family friendly restaurant and pub.

• Visited April 2013