“College trip to Clarkson University”
Review of Maxfields

Maxfields
Ranked #2 of 50 Restaurants in Potsdam
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 2, 2013

very nice casual restaurant across the street from the hotel we stayed (Clarkson Inn); waiting staff was very nice and offered opinion on the area...very much appreciated. food was well cooked and presented. would definitely return when in the area again.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Ok, there aren't a ton of places in Potsdam but we managed to enjoy this place 3 times in one weekend. Dinner, lunch and drinks, guess we saw it all and will look forward to going again the next time we are in the area. There is a nice back patio when the weather permits, a spacious dinner room, and a fairly generous bar with lots of happy hour deals. The menu is quite nice and surprisingly the seafood was impressive. The steaks will not disappoint you nor will the salads. The bar offers a wide selection of tap beers. They also seemed to be quite busy with the cocktail orders though we didn't indulge. Would recommend reservations as they seem quite popular with locals and travelers.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Kitchen opens at 5 pm with good tasty selections and the bar has great draft beer selections with a 5 to 7 happy hour. Food prices are say 10% higher than I like but when you are sitting on the back deck with the Raquette river flowing 10 feet below, in the shade of the trees sipping a great pale ale...yes I will have another beer with my meal.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

My wife and I stumbled across Maxfields purely because we were hungry. Not having been to Potsdam in over 20 years, we weren't sure what we would come across for lunch. It was a wonderful surprise we picked right.
We were seated on a lovely deck overlooking the river. (Raquette River, I think.) The trees offered lovely shading, the deck was clean and adorned with lovely flower baskets.
Our server was the most polite, adorable young man, who was more than accomodating. He and my wife enjoyed sharing quick stories about Doctor Who, and his attentiveness was wonderful; our water glasses were always full, and we never waited for anything we needed. Our lunches were made of the freshest veggies, and my carmelized onions were tastier than some candy. Overall, it was lovely.
My wife ordered a burger, and while it still tasted good, it seemed to have a dryness going down that only sipping water could help.
Although the building was a wonderful turn of the century reminder of beauty and grandeur gone by, the layout of Maxfields presented some challenges for us.
If you are elderly, overweight, or have mobility issues, from what we experienced it is not handicapped accessable. My wife suffers from neuropathy, and had real issues getting up and down the stairwell, and monitoring the random steps to get from the front of the restaurant to the deck. The restaurant bathrooms are not designed for anyone with 50 or more on their frame; it gets quite tricky.
However, a server needed to use the facilities, but when she saw my wife struggling, she assisted her down and made sure she was all right. That was awesome, in our book.
This was such a gem to find, and both the staff and management should be proud of the lovely service they provide.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Food and service was wonderful. We sat on the back deck with 12 family members and had a wonderful time. We were there for a very special graduation dinner and it was and awesome way to start our weekend Are planning to go again.

1  Thank KathyM51394