“Not a great meal”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

My daughter and I had dinner here on Monday night we arrived in Potsdam for her interview the next day at Clarkson. The restaurant was moderately full and it didn't seem like they has enough staff. I felt sorry for our waitress who was very nice and seemed to want to do a good job was running here and there.

Our house salad was drenched in dressing but we had waited so long for it we didn't send it back. My salmon was good but my daughter's strip steak was covered in pepper which we either missed on the description or wasn't there. Overall, it was not a good value for the money. Maybe it was just an off night or they didn't expect so many people on a Monday.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I went there with my two sons after touring both local colleges. It was our last place to dine. The atmosphere was lovely, but the service was a bit tough. Food was good, but at lunchtime, I think they only had one person on staff. Thankfully we were not in a rush. Got to be a bit annoying that we had to track her down for everything. Other than that, if staffed appropriately, it was a nice place for lunch. Bar seems like it would be a fun spot also for evening.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

I was in Potsdam for a 3-day business trip and my associates took me to Maxfield's for dinner. I ordered the tuna special, which was a huge tuna steak with Asian seasonings over a tasty fried rice. The tuna steak was huge--I wish there had been more rice to go with the tuna steak, and perhaps a vegetable side (besides the veggies in the rice) for the price. Ciabatta roles came with dinner--they were also excellent. It was pricey---the kind of prices I would pay for local/organic food at restaurants back home, but there was little/no indication that the ingredients used in the dishes were "special" in any way. I went back after my business dinner to grab some dessert---I got a chocolate lava cake, because the other choices were creme brulee and carrot cake---and it was okay, but not worth the $9 they were charging.

If I ever have business in Potsdam again, I would certainly return there, but dining in Potsdam is nearly impossible. I was very happy that a place like this existed in this small, small town.

1  Thank Lengara_Pace
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I have had many good meals at this restaurant and it is a great place (one of the few) to go for a business lunch or dinner. Salads are particularly good. Service has been good when I have been there - particularly at lunch time - good, personal wait staff. A bit pricey, but you don't have a lot of choice in this great small town for business meals.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

A higher end college town bar/restaurant. Food is very good, but menu is a bit small. There are several nice fish and beef entrees. In summer there is a nice patio on the river.
Bar is very nice - grand old hotel style. Tap beer selection is excellent for the area. Weekend nights can be busy, but not rowdy.