Clarkson Inn
Northern Family Motel(Potsdam)(Great Value!)
$99
$75
QualityInn
$109
Travelocity
All reviewsthe riversuny potsdamwithin walking distancethe general managerhigh teacharming hotelrooms are largeno elevatorin townmovie theaterbreakfast buffet isbeautiful parkpersonal letterplace to stayice bucketcoffee and teacookies
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 30, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at the Clarkson Inn for one night and was pleasantly surprised to see what a lovely place it was. The staff are friendly, and welcoming. The room was meticulously clean, and I was greeted with a personalized welcome letter, a robe and slippers, and an ice bucket full of ice. The furnishings were also quite lovely, and the bed was very comfortable. I was also happy to find a microwave and mini-fridge. I would highly recommend the Clarkson Inn and will make a point of going back.

Room Tip: I stayed on the river side. It was a beautiful view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Rett_12
Reviewed June 25, 2012

When one thinks of breakfast buffets, buckets of bland food and packaged morning pastries come to mind. There is certainly none of that at the Clarkson Inn's new breakfast buffet. I recently had breakfast there at the invitation of my sister and was very impressed by the reasonable price as well as the extensive food choices and friendly service. This buffet really stands out as something special in this quiet little community. Firstly it is presented in the formal dining room which provides a beautiful environment, complete with linen tablecloths and lovely china table service. Secondly, the food presentation is elegant and well thought out. The offerings are presented in beautiful tureens and porcelain serving dishes which adds to the atmosphere. Thirdly, the food itself is not the usual fare. Yes, you can have coffee,bacon and eggs with toast, but you could also have, as I did, a toasted bagel with cream cheese, capers, green onion and salmon. The fresh fruit looked really fresh and the oatmeal was hot and steaming. Eggs are prepared to order by the Clarkson chef who will also toast your choice of bread or bagels. This was a lovely experience and I will certainly return. Next time I will invite my sister.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 14, 2012

I stayed at the Clarkson Inn for one night. It is a small hotel with a homey feel. The staff was friendly. The lobby was very pretty and cozy with couches, soft lighting and a gas fireplace always running. My room was very spacious and had all I needed, including a microwave and mini-frig. I was on the river side, and the view was soothing and pretty. The bed was firm, yet comfortable, and the wireless was strong.

The hotel seems to be using old energy efficient bulbs. It took several minutes for the lights in the bathroom area to come to full power. There was plenty of counter space near the sink, but the counter and sink was very low. It almost felt as though I was in a handicapped accessible room, although I know it wasn't because there was no way a wheel chair could fit through the narrow bathroom door. I also think I was awakened by the HVAC system several times. I heard a very loud banging by the windows that I first thought might be hail or someone outside. After determining that it was neither, I think it was the HVAC system that cycled on and off all night. It wasn't particularly cold when I visited, so it shouldn't have been taxed very much.

You can purchase breakfast a la carte. They serve the type of food that would be a free continental breakfast at most chain hotels, but it is served on nice china. However, I was disappointed to find that the $3.00 oatmeal was just an instant envelope of oatmeal. If you are a family, it would be worth your while to take a walk to a local bagel or coffee shop to get something more filling at a better price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the river side. The view is more pleasant than that of the parking lot.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Librarian1998
Reviewed November 20, 2011

I've been staying at the Clarkson Inn for business trips for over 20 years, and it has never disappointed. The rooms are comfortable and nicely appointed, the staff is accommodating, and the location is perfect for anyone visiting the Potsdam - Canton area.

Room Tip: The side toward the river offers a pleasant view,...
  • Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank ADKMAN1
Reviewed August 28, 2011

I stayed at the hotel while visiting the town I grew up in. I was very pleased. Check in was fast and friendly and the room was well appointed. The hotel was clean and is in the center of everything. I was impressed on how large the rooms were. Definitely the place to stay in the area and worth spending a few extra bucks.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo