“Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Potsdam
Central, NY
“Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

This is a very nice, small hotel. There are serveral restaurants within a short walk and there is free access to the Clarkson University gym, which is a 2 minute drive away.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2010

I always enjoy staying in non-chain places, and especially places with "real" furniture. While comfortable and clean, this place was weird in that upon entering our room, the bathroom area off to the left looked like a bathroom in a banquet center from the 1980s. It was clean, and I appreciate bathroom areas with a separate sink and toilet/shower area, especially when there are two of us traveling together, but with all the historical looks, the bathroom area, while very functional, looks out of place. Upon first look, I thought the side tables were a nice touch, then I realized the tops weren't marble, but were plastic or something. These points by no means detracted from my stay, but they did detract from my image of the establishment (and when we've been staying in a different place almost every night, comfort and cleanliness still wins out over image, and this place was clean and comfortable).

We had no troubles with the internet access. I don't recall even needing a password or login for access.

It wasn't mentioned at check-in that the breakfast was not included in the room rate, and the information that was left in our room was ambiguous regarding that. I assumed since it was fairly "continental" it would be complimentary, but it was a la carte. I bought a juice and yogurt to hold me over until we ventured out to a restaurant for brunch.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank granolagirl23
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2009

My husband and I were attending an Alumni event in Potsdam, and when our plans to stay with friends fell through, we checked into the Clarkson Inn.

The Good: Comfortable bed and decent room. Nice view of the river. Pleasant and professional staff. Quaint atmosphere. Very quiet. Best (and only) location in Potsdam if you are going out in town or want to be able to walk to restaurants, etc.

The Not-So-Good: Overpriced, I believe we paid over $200 for a night. I have stayed at more modern hotels with more amenities for less. The women at the desk said it was so high because there were a lot of alumni in town. I'm not sure it was worth it, but we needed a place to stay and this was the available option.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rachel128
gorgeous hudson valley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2009

The Clarkson Inn is a stately Inn. 2 floors. We were there for a visit to SUNY Potsdam and Clarkson.
The Inn is very well maintained. Rooms are furnished with Victorian furniture, lovely views of the river. It's been so long since I've stayed at a non-chain hotel, that I was a bit hesitant about staying here, but everything was in great working order and very clean. Coffee and tea available all day. There is a small restaurant on premises. Lobby included gleaming doors and sparkling lights. The fireplace was lite, making it inviting to sit and relax and watch the world walk by. There was a computer available. Although there is no fitness center on premises, you can use the facilities at Clarkson University.
Our room had a queen bed and there was ample space in the room. Large vanity area outside of the shower area. 1 ice machine which is located on the 1st floor. The Inn is a nice change after staying in so many chain hotels. I'm looking forward to returning to this Inn.
You are in walking distance to many eateries. A movie theater is across the street as well as a coffe house and 2nd hand store. There was a farmers market adjacent to the parking lot, fresh baked Amish goods and fruits and veggies were plentiful. The market ends in October.
If you are visiting in Potsdam, this is about the only place there is. I'm glad that even though they are pretty much the only spot in town, they still strive to be the best they can.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 2toots
boston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2009

The stay was comfortable and the staff was polite and helpful. The price I paid per night was not the price quoted when I registered. There was some confusion among the staff and somebody who was not there at checkout got the blame. I paid the higher price and left it at that. Forget the breakfast, Dunkin Donuts or Micky D is a short walk away. On the day we left I waited
'til Lake Placid for breakfast......HoJo's was more than reasonable.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank hiway93
Syracuse, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2009

I was pleased with my stay at the Clarkson Inn. There's not much selection in the Potsdam area so for the nightly rate and location for my business trip, it definitly lived up to expectations. It has a Victorian theme with historical charm (local photos from the 1800s on the walls). My room was very clean and spacious. The beds were kind of hard but tollerable, and I got a good night's sleep.

The hotel does not have a fitness center but they offer passes to the Clarkson U gym for guest use. I had no problems accessing wireless internet - I think they've improved their system since the review before mine, My room also had a microfridge free of charge.

There are all sorts of good eateries located nearby, including an excellent coffee shop "The Fields Coffee" which opens at 9AM but closes at 10 PM if you want to grab light fare and a slice of pie in the evening. Note: they serve Green Mountain Coffee... yum yum!

I left every morning during my week-long stay before breakfast was served so I can't attest to it's quality, but I do know it's not included in your room rate; they make that pretty clear at check in. All in all, it was a good stay, and I'd probaby stay again if I return to the area.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank LauraLovesZippy
Minneapolis
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2007

Someone else booked this room for me.

Plus: room is nice, white bedspreads, good bed. pretty good lighting, desk, wireless internet.

Minus: no comfortable chair. It turned out the pay-by-the-item breakfast was included in my rate but no one bothered to tell me that. The breakfast looked pretty bad, so I drove to Caroline's Diner and had a decent meal.
NO coffee in the room.
You are supposed to request wireless access numbers from the desk. If you do not, they read you the riot act when you call and ask. If you have never stayed there before and do not realize there are RULES, you are not a good person.
NO ELEVATOR! The mind boggles. I am 63 and traveling on business. I presented all day and then drove 200 miles. They told me to just walk up the stairs and there was my room. I said flatly that I cannot walk up the stairs. (I am out for 13 days and my suitcase is heavy and I was tired beyond all reason.) They told me that I should have requested a main floor room.
A. Someone else booked the room for me.
B This is not a B and B, how the heck would I guess they have no elevator. .

I sincerely pray I never have to stay here again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — almost everything else
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank kathybaxKathybax
Also consider these accommodations in or near Potsdam
Hampton Inn Potsdam
#4 of 7 in Massena
Northern Family Motel
Northern Family Motel
#4 of 5 in Potsdam

Been to Clarkson Inn? Share your experiences!