“A very comfortable stay”

Scottish Inns Potsdam
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Potsdam
New York
“A very comfortable stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2008

I wouldn't say, its the best mote around. Considering a small town , Nomad motel is really a very good accomodation especially value for money.
Pet fridnly and very clean accomodation. We were served with unlimited number of times complimetary coffee.
The rooms are clean and comfortable.
Good service . I recommend for anyone planning a trip to Postdam.

• Liked — Clean and comfortable , pet fridnly
  • Disliked — No internet access.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
New Hampshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2008

When we arrived, the hotel looked all right from the outside. The man at the desk gave us our key. Here is a list of what happened:
1. When checking in, credit card machine didn't work so we had to go get cash from an ATM and pay later.
2. When we came back with the cash, we were told we had been given the wrong room.
3. The second room they tried to give us smelled of smoke, so we said we could not stay in it due to a child with asthma.
4. We were then told by a second management person, who was now mad at the first person for the room mix up, that we were staying in the first assigned room afterall.
5. Second management person gave us a $30 discount, but took $10 for himself. We were still happy to have the same room at $20 less.
6. Upon entering room, rugs were all stained.
7. Back window in room missing panes, covered in plastic.
8. Window in bathroom missing panes, covered in plastic.
9. Both back windows had broken frames and should be completely replaced.
10. Bathroom filthy. Horrible yellow stains and cigarette stains on toilet. Some orange mucus in shower stall.
11. Had to spray down everything with lysol spray.
12. Bugs in front window.
13. Had paid for two nights, decided to skip the second night and drive 6 hours home after Clarkson graduation.
14. Received $50 back out of $80 paid for second night. We were happy to get something.

The cleaning ladies were very nice, but unfortunately they cannot clean up a place that is not properly maintained.

The story we heard is that the original owner left Potsdam for a job elsewhere and left the management of the hotel to her parents. Parents are foreign born and speak little English...making things more difficult.

WORST HOTEL I EVER STAYED IN! I still get the shudders thinking of being in there. It was so dirty!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Filthy, run down
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Potsdam hotels

NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2008

This was by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. I entered the office to check in and had to wait for at least 5 minutes for the employee to get off the phone on a personal call. He then tried to charge me $20 more than I was quoted over the phone.
The front door of our room had a hornets nest on it so that made just getting into and leaving the room an adventure. Once inside we found the beds to be in a head to toe manner so I slept with my buddies feet just above my head. The floors were stained and dirty and the walls had mold growing through them. The bathroom was covered with spiders and I could not even bring myself to shower in the morning.
If I would have had another option I would have checked out right after getting there. Stay away from this place!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Rude service, hornests nest, mold, spiders, stains, etc....
  • Stayed June 2007
NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2008

We went to Potsdam this month, and we really liked the stay there. I mean considering that it is a small town.. this motel had everything to offer if you are just there for a overnight stay... coffee in the morning... The room had a comfortable beds, very clean room... and we had HBO as well.. I mean we were really happy with our stay.. I would recommend to anyone!!!

Stayed January 2007
Albany, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2007

We had reservations for Friday Nov. 16. When we arrived at the hotel, we were met by an employee, who was less than pleased to see us. Upon presenting our reservation information, we were told that the hotel was "overbooked" and we would NOT be getting a room. This was 11:30 PM, and no other hotels were available. The reason we booked so early, with a CREDIT CARD, was to hold a room for our stay. There is no excuse for the poor business practices exhibited by this establishment. We will never be booking a room here again, and suggest that all reading this do the same!

• Stayed November 2007
1 Thank backyarddj
new york city
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2007

we stayed at the nomad motel with my family over the Parents weekend
We did not have any problmes with the rooms and the owners were very polite. We had fridge microwave and coffee maker in our room.
The room was very clean. What more could you ask for
I would be back at this place every time I come to visit my son at college

• Stayed September 2007
new york
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2007

I have stayed at the Nomad several times. The first time was fine, the second time not so good and this last time (last week) was absolutely terrible. The room was filthy and sticky...when i went in there was dirty water standing in the bathroom sink, spiders and webs in the shower and bathroom ceiling corners and the rug was completely stained. Later in the evening the toilet clogged and no one was available at the desk to help, i had to go into the back room myself and find a plunger. Before we could even shower I went to the local dollar store and bought cleaning supplies and scrubbed everything.
I will never ever stay at this hotel again, i don't know what happened over the last year with the management. My child is at a local college and I will be going to that area for the next 4 years but i think i would rather sleep in my car then go to the Nomad. I would have left the night I stayed there but everything was booked since the kids were all being dropped off to school.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank dm1968
Also consider these accommodations in or near Potsdam
Potsdam Inn
BEST WESTERN University Inn
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#4 of 7 in Massena

Been to Scottish Inns Potsdam? Share your experiences!