“Interesting little old fashioned hotel.”

Northern Family Motel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Potsdam
“Interesting little old fashioned hotel.”
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

They just need to have everybody involved stay in their own rooms to figure out how to make them a little more user friendly. Maybe a small table here a luggage rack there. A slightly bigger t.v. here and better linen there. A couple more pillows here a shelf to put the little dorm size fridge on their. Overall it's okay. If I owned it I would focus on how I could make it more useful and charming at the same time. Kick up the breakfast a little too.
How about biscuits and gravy? I'll stay again. Maybe they'd be open to suggestions. The other thing I would do is respond to these reviews. Positive or negative.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 6, 2013

In June I booked 6 rooms for family for a celebration of life and burial of my mom. It turned out to be a great family reunion as the owners made us feel so comfortable and shared in my grief and did their very best to cheer me up. we stayed up late at a bonfire cooking marshmellows and having late night pizza delivered. the atmosphere was so homey and gave us time to visit and remember the good times with Mom. I will definately recommend the Northern Family Motel if you want a warm and friendly experience. The rooms are clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: I was comfortable in the two double bed room with small refrig. and microwave. the end unit was quit...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Harriet H
Reviewed August 2, 2013

This is a great motel, If your in town for more than a night or two and dont get a company discount I would stay here.. the cleanliness is on point, some tvs are a little small but is outshined by the down to earth northcountry feel .

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank bms777
Rochester, New York
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Score is "-DISGUSTING" I stayed at this little disgusting motel 2 weekends ago. Upon entering the room, you get hit in the face with MILDEW! The rug in front of the door and window are water stained and the floor board is warped. The bed linens are dingy and are about a 75 thread. Bathroom, you have to sit sideways to use toilet, and floor not finished...critters crawling around. AC unit was from the 1970's. D-I-S-G-U-S-T-I-N-G!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank karenparkertrimm
Penfield, New York
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Stayed here one night while visiting local colleges.
The room in clean and what you would expect at nice motel. You can tell that the motel is older but it has been well maintained.

A separate house is the office as well as the residence of the owners. It is also where you eat the free continental breakfast. This area is very warm and nicely decorated, and the owners could not have been nicer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Port Leyden
Reviewed July 18, 2013

The motel appears to have been completely renovated, nice new carpet, new wall coverings, bathroom was acceptable. However, every time we walked into the room it smelled of old beer and cigarettes. The a/c worked, but you could see outdoors around the installation. The breakfast was really nice and the people were very pleasant. I'm not crazy about that many dogs in the food prep and eating area, but it was very much "family style" The price was right for one night, but I definitely wouldn't want to vacation here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Greater Cincinnati
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I've been going up to Potsdam several times per year while my son is at Crane, and just discovered this gem (I don't usually take this road into town so had completely missed it until I read about it here on TA!). This motel is affordable, just outside of the main part of downtown (which is noisy on a weekend) and in a nice quiet setting. The rooms were updated and very clean, although on the small side. The owners provide a great sitting area/deck with a gas fire for chilly evenings or mornings, and a common room where they offer a very satisfying continental breakfast-fruit, boiled eggs, muffins, juices, coffee, tea, bagels, cereal, all included in the very reasonable price. They also have chairs and tables to sit outside in the shade and relax. Definitely going back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Stargal61
Also consider these accommodations in or near Potsdam
Potsdam Inn
Best Western University Inn
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#4 of 7 in Massena

Been to Northern Family Motel? Share your experiences!