“Yum!”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 6, 2010

The 1844 House was recommended to my sibling, who is attending St Lawrence University. What a delight! I had driven over 4 hours to Potsdam and was a little disheveled upon arrival, but the hostess waved me right over to my party as if I were dressed to the nines. I had the lobster and shrimp fettuccine; it was delicious and perfectly portioned (each course was not too big, not too small) and very tasty. The waitress was very friendly and professional. The whole experience was relaxed and delicious- I've heard weekends are quite busy so make a reservation in advance. I really wish this restaurant was in my neighbourhood!

There are newer reviews for 1844 House

Reviewed February 21, 2010

I have dined at the 1844 House many times in the past few years, and I've never had less than excellent food or service. There is a commitment to quality, community and creative energy that is palpable in this little restaurant, along with the great food and drink.

Easily the region's best dining, and becoming more and more popular so definitely make reservations.

Reviewed February 20, 2010

When you walk in the door, you know this is somthing special.

A gourmet experience. The amazing food and atmosphere is even more remarkable when one considers the location in rural upstate New York. We stopped in as luck would have it at 5pm on a Friday evening, to find they have an "early dinner" special. The portions were petite and the food was outstanding. Our greeter and waitress were prompt, attentive and engaging. My wife and I enjoyed the experience immensely and consider this restaurant one of the best. Amazing considering how much we travel and dine out, and we talking about Potsdam. In my job, I travel internationally and throught the USA. I'm telling you this restaurant is a diamond, and is worth the effort to travel far.

Reviewed September 28, 2009

I live in Potsdam and the 1844 house has the best food in the region. BUT. the service is terrible and our family has waited more than two hours from time of order to time of service on 3 occasions. There is no manager present and so the staff just hide out in the kitchen until the chef has the food ready- 2 hours later. So, the food is good but the service is terrible. I would not return to this restaurant after being burned 3 times. Dinner for 5 with wine is $300-350. It is a shame that the owner has not corrected this problem I have heard time and again from numerous patrons.

NYGourmand, Owner at 1844 House, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2010

1844 House is regionally famous for its "superior service". We carefully train our staff to ensure that they know proper upscale dining service etiquette. We serve fine cuisine in multiple courses with flatware changes in between courses as well as a sorbet course before entrees to cleanse the palate. To some people, this comes off as slow service. For most of our guests it is and enjoyable, relaxing dining experience.

We have been awarded "5 Forks" by the Watertown Daily Times, its top rating" for our service and cuisine. We were also named Best Restaurant of 2006 in the same paper. In 2009 we were given a 3 Diamond rating by the AAA Travel Guide; the criteria for this rating includes high quality service.

We make every attempt to exceed our guests expectations during their visit. All of us here strive to provide true & genuine hospitality to all our guests.

Reviewed October 19, 2008

We've eaten here a couple of times and wanted to spread the word to keep this place open. Potsdam/Canton are college towns in the North Country and while there a few okay restaurants in the area; this one is phenomenal. Two great chefs (husband/wife) create wonderful food and even have a prix fixe for $15 which I assume is to get more of the college kids in. My only complaint is they are closed on Sundays (we sometimes visit on Sunday night because it's easier to get a hotel room).