“Great food - horrible graduation weekend experience”
Review of 1844 House

1844 House
Ranked #1 of 50 Restaurants in Potsdam
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 13, 2011

We have visited many times and enjoyed ourselves greatly! We celebrated a Potsdam recital in April 2010 and spoke with the owner (Jenny) about making reservations for 10 people on Sunday of May 2011 graduation weekend. She was very nice and took our name and phone number and wrote it in her book.

This spring we called only to be told that they would not have taken a reservation on a Sunday since they aren't open, even for graduation weekend and had no record of our name or number.

When asked if there was anything on Friday or Saturday, we were told no, that they were completely booked. Our name was put on the waiting list to no avail, we will not be able to have dinner there on that weekend.

Needless to say, we are very disappointed and upset at the entire situation where we were told that what we conveyed happened couldn't possibly. We will not go back to this restaurant, and would HIGHLY recommend that you are very careful when making reservations during special events.

1  Thank AndyLot

Reviewed November 3, 2010

I was driving through Potsdam from Canton, NY and noticed 1844 House on my left on Highway 11 and was immediately drawn to the local charm of the candlelit quaint home. I was immediately intrigued by it's cozy ambiance and knew that I wanted to check it out. We went inside and were greeted by a very friendly staff, the smell of freshly baked bread and the charm of an old farmhouse. We love the farm to table concept and most of the offerings come from local vendors which only added to the already superb flavors. I had the vegetarian creamy butternut squash risotto and my friend had escargot and a delicious Caesar chopped salad. The aroma of the food once it was placed in front of us was out of this world. We were already on our way to being full from the fresh bread and homemade butter that was served with our appetizers (soup of the day - I had a five bean and bacon soup and my friend had their french onion....so good and perfectly warm for a cold night!). The entrees were exceptional and we followed them up with a warm apply pie served a la mode with cinnamon ice cream. I would go back again and again and recommend to anyone.

Reviewed July 27, 2010

I would have missed this place if not recommended to me. It is an unassuming house on the side of a two lane highway.
The staff is very friendly, the owner was soooooo nice and talked to us in between changing table cloths on adjoining tables.
The food was not what you would expect in the middle of nowhere upstate New York. It was very nicely prepared, presented and delicious.
The locals know about this place and keep it full.

Reviewed April 11, 2010

I've taken advantage of the Early Dining Menu several times and I have never been disappointed. The food is always exquisitely prepared, the staff friendly, and the atmosphere is perfect! A wonderful way to escape the daily drone of life and experience something nicer for a price that is affordable.

Reviewed March 20, 2010

Located halfway between Canton and Potsdam, NY on Route 11, the 1844 house operates out of the bottom floor of an old farm house. It has plenty of parking with a gravel parking lot that stretches from the side to the back of the restaurant, past a barn that is used as an organic farmers' market during the season. The restaurant is handicap accessible with a large ramp that connects to the outdoor dining deck off the back, but main entrance is at the front with the stairs of the house's original porch.

The wait-staff are friendly and great you at the door and show you to a table. Both times I've visited the restaurant, we were shown to our table by one of the proprietors, Jenny Walker. The 1884 House's proprietors are Brian & Jenny Walker, a married team consisting of two professionally trained chefs.

The facility has two main dining rooms and a full bar. The decor matches the house's architecture; wallpaper and whites for one room, red and wood for the other. The small, intimate tables are matched with comfortable wooden chairs, white table clothes, and quality cloth napkins.

Having a full liquor license, the drink selection runs the gamut from wine, to beer, to liquor. Or for non-alcohol there is tea (iced or hot), coffee and soda of course.

You'll be provided a basket of bread with a specialty butter that the kitchen has prepared that night. Appetizers are delivered well in advance of the meal to give you plenty of time to enjoy them. Twice now I've ordered the Southern Buttermilk Fried Calamari and it has been consistently excellent - the Cajun aioli balances the delicious calamari that just wants to melt in your mouth.

You can also start your meal off with soups and salads. Not being a particular fan of salads, I've opted for the Onion Au Gratin soup, a satisfying interpretation of classic French Onion soup. They are careful to provide a reasonable amount of food so that one can actually make it all the way through the meal, though making it to dessert without being too full does require commitment.

Before the main course arrives, the considerate kitchen staff see fit to provide you with a house-made sorbetto as a palate cleanser. It is a large thimble-full, but plenty to serve its purpose. The flavor changes depending on what is in season - much like the full menu.

Once your entrée arrives, you'll see one of the biggest strengths of this dining establishment: Presentation. Everything looks perfect and poised for consumption the moment the plate touches-down in front of you. From appetizer to dessert, sauces are delicately added in interesting patterns that please both the eye and the palate. Everything placed on your plate is meant as an aid for your path to gastronomic ecstasy - it is edible beauty.

Twice I've ordered the Filet of Beef (I am a creature of habit) - and twice I've been impressed with their preparation of the meat. I personally prefer meat to be cooked very rare, and they have a method for that nicknamed "black & blue", the meat is seared and left extremely rare on the inside. (The nickname is a joke meaning that the meat isn't cooked it is merely bruised.) The beef is toppet with caramelized shallots and blue cheese butter and is resting in a small pool of cabernet demi-glace. As I write this, I'm picturing the meal in my head and getting very hungry doing so... This is the way food is meant to be presented and enjoyed - if only we all were so lucky to eat so well every night.

Dessert is presented as beautifully as the rest of the menu, the Charlotte au Chocolat I've ordered was presented on a plate dusted in cocoa and paired with a flower created out of sauces. The chocolate cake is extraordinarily chocolaty with just enough coffee flavor to make it all the more intense.

I dare say this establishment has consistently provided the best meals I've had in at least a 50 mile radius. I hope they remain open and continue providing interesting and innovative food. The pleasant atmosphere, quiet wait-staff, excellent food make it an eatery at which I would dine every night - alas, they are closed on Sundays.