“Surprisingly Good”

Sprague's Maple Farm
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in Portville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed October 6, 2010

If you can just put up with the crowds and the faux-Frontier decor, there is some excellent food waiting for you here. We chose to make our first visit on a Friday night so as to take advantage of the locally-famous Fish Fry. The Fish Fry was indeed excellent, a delicate buttermilk batter, big portion of fish, and a choice of potato accompaniment, not just french fries. I chose the homefries and they were splendid. Choice of tossed salad or coleslaw...I chose coleslaw...again very good. And then along came a little bowl of maple-infused apple sauce...this seems to come with more or less every meal.

Wife enjoyed her rich Corn and Crab Chowder and ended up needing my help to finish her "small" Turkey Cobb Salad. This left her room for an incredibly rich slice of maple sugar/pecan pie.

The norms here seem to be (1) generous servings and (2) any dishes that can take advantage of Sprague's own specialities: Maple Syrup and its various byproducts, home-raised Turkeys, and Apples.

There was none of that rather stifling Christian Evangelical slant that tends to crop up in these "oldtime, family, down-on-the-farm" places: so while everyone around us seemed to be drinking nothing other than coffee, pop or apple cider, I managed to find a brief wine and beer list tucked away discretely within the dessert menu!@#$?? The big mugs of Yuengling draft went superbly well with my Fish Fry.

1  Thank Torontotraveller2

Reviewed September 15, 2010

I love going to Spraque's for dinner, but Tuesday night was not a good night. My dinner was terrible. My fried potatoes were burnt and crispy. There were three of us dining out. The waitress never asked if we wanted more drinks,we waited fifteen minutes to get our check when we were finished. It was truely a bad time for a birthday meal.

2  Thank Glo76
Reviewed September 9, 2010

Ask any local where you need to go when you are visiting Western NY and you will always hear 'Sprague's.' The restaurant is an experience, from the food to the animatronic animals that always enthrall the kids, to the one table reserved for bears. In the spring you can watch maple syrup being processed and throughout the year you get fresh maple syrup and sugar worked into almost every dish. The gift shop is a must-see and my kids always walk out with a little box of maple sugar candy. Behind the restaurant are acres of trails that lead to a wood fired 'sugar shack' in the woods, displays of native animals, and a pond with swans swimming in it. The setting is pastoral, the food is delicious, and if your family is like mine, you will want to visit every time you're nearby.

2  Thank LsDano2
Reviewed August 24, 2010

Many times when you travel the old highways in rural parts of the country, you're at a loss to find a really good place to eat. In situations like that, we rely on the local folks for recommendations on where to find good food. Sprague's Maple Farm restaurant is one of those places that was very highly recommended to us. And after eating there, we know why. The food, the service, and the atmosphere make Sprague's one of those restaurants that you can't wait to visit again. With so many really tempting selections on the menu, we had a difficult time deciding on just one. So we both ordered the turkey dinner, but we never expected it to be better than what Mom used to make. And that's no exaggeration. Our dinners were so delicious and there was more than enough food for most people's appetites. Unfortunately, after finishing our turkey dinners, we couldn't fit any more food into our tummies so we had to pass on the very tempting desert offerings. The prices are fair considerating the quality and the quantity of the food being served. And being a maple farm, there are maple-flavored offerings on the menu. We are definitely going back to Sprague's for dinner again so we'll make up for that dessert the next time we're in the Salamanca/Jamestown area. And while you're there, check out their nice gift shop filled with all kinds of great food items and gifts. In a word, Sprague's is a wonderful dining experience in the middle of nowhere, and we're very glad it's there. Don't pass up this place. A word of caution: don't be tempted by other restaurants in this general area that use a breathtaking scenic view to lure you in for really bad food and poor service. Save yourself that aggravation and go to Sprague's Maple Farm restaurant for some of the best food that area has to offer. You'll be glad you did. Enjoy!

1  Thank NYroadside
Reviewed May 26, 2010

We were sent on assignment. "Bring back some Maple Pepper!" Maple, maple everywhere, true, but it is the turkey that will bring me back. Free-range, home grown and yummy! I had thick slices with gravy over a light wheat bread. The bread was sliced very thick.

Before I go on, some full disclosure: I have a pet peeve, and that is when servers make me box my own leftovers. Thus, only 4 stars on "Service". Am I old fashioned? This is a high-tip killer for me. After a beautiful, perfect meal the server said "I'll bring you a box." (Later that night, back home, in a favorite pub, the server said 'I'll box that for you' and my faith in the server industry was restored! See forthcoming review for "Curry's" in Buffalo, NY!)

I did not find the prices high. Two of us were stuffed for $20, and the food is unique and gourmet.

2  Thank Cross-Culture-Maven