“Location location location”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Prospect Ave
Description: One of Long Island's oldest and most colorful restaurants. From its start in 1905, Louis Zwerlein's "Kare Killer" was a most unusual place. One had to get there by boat since it was built on a floating barge anchored out in the bay. One of its side attractions was that it afforded a fine view of the approaching boats from shore. On occasion, a husband sighting his wife on a course for the barge would dive headlong off the far side and strike out for Great Neck. When prohibition killed the Kare Killer in 1916, the business moved to a spot adjacent to the Town Dock, renting boats, selling chowder and other seafood. Another move in the early thirties placed the restaurant in its present location still on the Main Street waterfront. In 1954, it was expanded into an adjoining building that had originally been a blacksmith shop.
Reviewed August 29, 2013

This restaurant wins hands down due to it's location by the bay. After or before dinner you can walk by the promenade and enjoy the water views. Come here to have drinks by the outside bar or if you're lucky to get a table outside. The food is good what you expect from a seafood place and the value fair. They do try to make the menu interesting and varied with specials. Remember you are paying into the locale of the restaurant. Many people do come here to celebrate birthdays so it's quite popular. The service is very prompt and cordial, the ambience/noise level pretty high. We came with family and everyone seemed to enjoy their food picks although we were dissappointed that they didn't have any soft shelled crabs...said it was sold out the night before. What seafood restaurant doesn't stock up on popular seafood items? Well, we ordered a 2lb lobster instead for my mom(her birthday) and it was good but a bit pricy. Well, she enjoyed it and if mom is happy, everyone is happy except our wallets:-)haha We ordered for the table a seafood tower as appt and for about $70 it could've been more loaded but everyone was hungry so we all liked it. The fish entrees, scallop entrees are priced in the mid 20's and infact most specials were in the mid 20's as well. Dinners did not include any side salad but a small portion of veggies seem to dress the plate per entree. To be honest we've been to better seafood restaurants but this place wins on the package deal...the good(view,service)outways the bad(food,cost). So overall, if the budget allows for a special occassion and you're not so hungry for large portions vs value...come here to admire the scenery and spend your hard earned money away! We did and so will you:-)haha

3  Thank lejaceman
There are newer reviews for Louie's Oyster Bar & Grille

Reviewed August 26, 2013

This is dining at an institution. They've been around forever and attract patrons from
Long island and transient boaters. We were there on a busy Saturday night. The place was jumping. The noise level made dinner conversation an impossibility. The service was prompt, knowledgeable and attentive. The food was good. Value was fair: it's not a cheap date. Active bar scene.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

I have been going to Louie's for more than 25 years and it is absolutely my favorite restaurant on Long Island. For starters, I do not believe you will find a better New England Clam Chowder or Lobster Bisque anywhere outside of Boston (and maybe inside as well) at the grilled fish is always fresh and supported by brilliantly textured vegetables. The wine menu has some top shelf choices at prices that work. I can't tell you about the dessert because I've never had room to eat it, the portions took care of that. My daughter just had the Lobster Mac and Cheese and it was off the dock good. The only thing parallel to the food is the ambiance on the pier. What a great setting for a couple, a group of friends, or family. Richard is a waiter with a witt and great recommendations (not a relative). Enjoy!

Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Sit on their outdoor deck & you think you're on vacation. Attentive staff. My broiled seafood dinner had not one herb or spice. I'd say "Grandma's Flounder & fish." Sauteed spinach w/ garlic was tasty & not dripping in oil. Companion's salmon decent. Price-y, but you're paying for the view. Great place for cocktails.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I went to this place because it was on the water. The waitress was very quick, looked like she hated her job, and rushed us to order. I explained that I could NOT have anything spicy. I asked her about 2 dishes. I asked her about stuffed shrimp. I told her that I cannot have spicy food. She said she was pretty sure, but never came back with more info. I ended up getting it and it was iced cold.Then, I sent it back and when I got the food back, it was so spicy that it burned my lips and I got an immediate headache. I had waited forever for our food. I just wanted out by the time I got my food. Some other guy brought me the food the second time. We had planned on getting dessert before we came in, so we got it and it took forever to come out. We couldnt get dessert anywhere else because it was late at night. We tried to call over the server a few times, but she ignored me and had a horrible attitude. She never asked us how the food was.

The food was a joke; and my daughters food was horrible and tastelss. She had but it was a simple salad and chicken, but she disliked it. She usually loves salad and chicken. The attitudes of the servers and also the manager was so distasteful I would Never recommend this place to Anyone. When paying the check, I decided to go up to pay it because I didnt want to wait all night to pay. The manager asked how things were. I let him know what happened. He said I should have called him over. How could I? We could never get anyone for anything there that night! He Should have suggested taking off at least one dinner but didnt. Just said, sorry. I felt like getting a loud speaker and announce to anyone coming down the street that the food stunk, and worse than that, they couldnt care less about it, or care how they treat their customers.

3  Thank Marybeatles