“Far Better Than I Expected, and Improving”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Port Jervis
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

After reading previous reviews of this property, I booked a stay at this Days Inn with significant concern.

Happily, they were wrong. I would presently rate this Days Inn at a solid 2 1/2 stars, and I am a very picky, experienced traveler, who is on the road about 40+ weekends out of the year.

Yes, they previously had the dreaded bed bug problem, but it has been completely remedied, and is no longer an issue. Furthermore, the hotel was clean.

Additionally, according to David, the GM, about half of the rooms have been remodeled, and the rest are being worked on. Mine had new carpeting, wallpaper, and bed, and newer linens (with more expected within the next few weeks). TVs are still an older style, but are fine and operable. I came for a good rest, and got it. The bed was quite comfy.

Slight negatives...The lobby is a bit austere, but has a nice tile floor and a new couch that faces a wall unit with a TV, and the downstairs hallway has a very faint mildew odor...not enough to be a problem, and there was NO trace of the odor in my room.

They offer the usual complementary free breakfast, including Carduner's Malted Waffles, to which I am particularly addicted, and fresh fruit...apples and oranges during my stay. Not fancy, but definitely adequate.

They have a small lounge which is open seasonally that serves a limited bar, plus finger foods. Alas, it wasn't open yet for my stay, but will be in about a month or two. The outdoor pool opens Memorial Day.

David, who is very personable, is working very hard to improve this DI, and he is succeeding. It's less expensive than the other two hotels in the area, not quite in their league yet, but definitely offers the best value and a good night's rest, which IMHO is paramount.

The hotel is right off Rte. 84, but up a side road, so there is no noise from the highway.

• Stayed: March 2013
nyDavid95, General Manager at Days Inn Port Jervis, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Thank you for staying with us! It was a pleasure having you and we look forward to serving you again in the future. Also, we appreciate all of the valuable input you have given about the property. Thank you, General Manager - Days Inn Port Jervis, NY

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Do Not Stay Here!!! Bed Bugs!!!We just needed an inexpensive hotel for a weekend as we were doing work building a cabin in the area. We arrived at 11pm on Friday 3/1/13 and by 3am I woke with a bad feeling so I turned on the lights and I saw a bug on my pillow. I have never seen a bed bug before so I looked it up on my phone. Then I saw another and another and another. I still have the shivers. It was so gross. Do Not Stay Here!!!!! Also the hall smelled moldy. Ugh. There was a Hampton Inn 10 min away that was clean and 100% better.

• Stayed: March 2013
nyDavid95, General Manager at Days Inn Port Jervis, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to complete our Guest Survey. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In addition, please know that your comments and issues will be addressed. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit. If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 845-856-6611. Sincerely, David Hickey General Manager Days Inn Port Jervis

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I've stayed there once but have business colleagues who stay here often. Shopping center and convenience store within walking distance. Place was rough around the edges but clean. Staff friendly and helpful. Very basic 'free' breakfast. Good location right off of I-84 when traveling from NC to New England.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
nyDavid95, General Manager at Days Inn Port Jervis, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to complete our Guest Survey regarding your recent stay at our hotel.Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us and we will utilize your response by continuing to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be. We hope to be of service to you in the future.Again, thank you for completing our survey and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 845-856-6611.Sincerely,David Hickey General ManagerDays Inn Port Jervis

Reviewed January 30, 2013

This is an older hotel that allows smoking and pets, therefore it will have some issues for some people. My problem was the lack of housekeeping services (twice in 7 days) and no heat in the hallways or breakfast area. It appears as if they are cutting all corners just to stay in business.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
nyDavid95, General Manager at Days Inn Port Jervis, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We also had to stop here due to being tired after driving a very long distance. The entire place smelled of mold, mildew and cigarette smoke. The heat was practically non-existent not only in our room but the halls and the lobby. The TV was terrible, very fuzzy. I turned on the heating unit and discovered that food had been dropped between the fins of the register. The sofa had stains all over it, I wouldn't even sit in it. I was ready to leave, but my husband said, "It's just one night." Thank heaven!

There was one bright spot, her name was Betty. She worked the self-service breakfast, which she kept clean, and she was pleasant, too.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
nyDavid95, General Manager at Days Inn Port Jervis, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

David Hickey

Reviewed January 9, 2013

We had to stop here on our trip south due to snow and they did have a room and took pets. We had no heat in the corridor, and even after an hour in our room with the heat cranked, the room was still in the 50's. The remote also did not work. We asked for, and got, another room. The heat worked better as did the remote. When I walked in the bathroom, there were open shampoo bottles in the shower and hair in the tub and on the floor. We were grossed out, but stuck due to the snow! Breakfast the next day was pretty scarce, and there was no heat in the breakfast room! Thankfully the snow had stopped and we could leave.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!