“Smelly, dirty, dismal.”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Port Jervis
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We checked in after driving through a rainstorm to find this place. We found the Days Inn expecting a middle of the road, but clean place to sleep. Instead, the filthy carpet leading down the long line of rooms should have clued us in. We found our room stank of old cigarettes (a nonsmoking room) the bathroom stank of urine and in general, the place wasn't clean with no decent ventalation. Fortunately the sheets seemed clean enough and beds reasonably comfortable. breakfast as expected considering the overall quality issues was disgusting - "pastries" wrapped in plastic, gummy bagels and sticky, unclean apples. A gross out.

• Stayed: September 2012
Daysinn1PortJervis, General Manager at Days Inn Port Jervis, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 845-856-6611.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

We arrived at the hotel at 9:00, to a less than helpful front desk staff. Our room smelled awful - old carpet, plus the humidity and heat of the day. We were 5 in the room, and there were only 2 towels in the bathroom. Front desk said "I can't do anything about that" when we asked for more towels. "How are we supposed to share 2 towels for our whole family?" After lengthy negotiations my husband suggested that he get them from a vacant room. Reluctantly, he opened another room and made my husband get the towels himself. The pillows were tiny, so he got a couple of those too. There was garbage in the hallway, and if we could have stayed somewhere else we would have, but this was all we could manage at that time of night. On the plus side, the A.M. staff at the front desk was very nice and helpful, and the breakfast room was extremely clean, and well maintained by the staff that was on duty.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed July 30, 2012

It is run down, but the breakfast was fine, the pool looked inviting. I used Priceline.com to get a cheap rate because after reading the reviews I was NOT going to pay $80-100 for a room, and the only other place nearby was in Matamoras, PA for $120+. We didn't stay in the room that much, but when we did, the bed was comfortable and the TV worked (though the remote needed a battery).

Room Tip: Use Priceline.com and put in a cheap price...we got 2 nights for the price of their one night amount...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank NFL1

Again, thank you for completing our survey and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 845-856-6611.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

Nonsmoking smells like smoke(and mold and really strong bad aftershave)
Grimey ......I hated touching anything
Lumpy cheap pillows,crappy tv screen, even the phone book and window air unit had a layer of crust on them
They don't clean here
Why does this cost as much as places that actually aren't seedy?

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Just stayed this Friday and Saturday for a Family Get together, Apparently the Days Inn corprate office doesnt monitor the complaints on Trip Advisor, I was aware but ignored it because of a Family gathering. Musty rooms, hair on the bath floor, worn and stained furniture. Checked in Friday night and left for a full day on Saturday returned at night the room was not entered by housekeeping, beds not made, no fresh towels. At that point, captured no availbaility elsewere. Had to go to the Front desk to collect Towels. Days Inn should revloke this franchise. NEVER EVER AGAIN.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank T.McN
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I was traveling from Massachusetts and found myself needing a place to stay in the Middletown/Port Jervis area. I called all of the hotels listed in my GPS and found that they were all full. The Days Inn (formerly a Comfort Inn) was the only place with a vacancy. And I soon found out why! I had assumed since it was a former Comfort Inn that it would be worth the stop.
The first problem was the price. At $139 for a double or king, this was highway robbery. But, I think they knew they had me over a barrel. The entire hotel reeked of cigarette smoke. The outside of the hotel was dimly lit and I felt nervous parking in the back. I noticed that there weren't many cars in the parking lot - maybe 15 or 20 total. (This should have been another warning sign.). The interior hallways were bright but very, very shabby.
My room was of a decent size and the beds looked attractive. Things went downhill from there. Even though it was a non-smoking room, the stench of cigarettes permeated into the room from the rest of the hotel. Black mold was everywhere in the bathroom, most noticeably around the toilet rim, tub/shower and shower head. There was a mini fridge (yeah!) but it didn't work (boo!). The AC unit was also very loud and noisy.
Perhaps the biggest complaint was that the room was infested with ants. I climbed into bed (kudos for very comfy mattresses!) and a few hours later I woke up when I felt something crawling on me. My first thought was bedbugs but this turned out not to be the case. Instead, there were about a dozen tiny ants crawling on the sheets. At this point it was 3 am and I was in no mood to move to another room. I moved to the other bed and had an ant-free experience. I should note that when I left the room the next morning I did see ants in that bed as well.
If I'm ever in Port Jervis and need a room and find the Days Inn is the only choice, I will keep driving.

Room Tip: How to get a good room? Go somewhere else!!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 8, 2012

The overall structure is in poor repair, up a desolate road. We would have turned around if it wasn't for the Garman. It was late, we were tired. We had a coupon and made the mistake of letting them know we stay at Wyndham hotels. They wouldn't honor our coupon. ADVICE is to say, " we have a coupon do you have a room at the given coupon rate." Don't give your telephone number or you will be profiled. There was questionable night time activity around the motel. The entrance security door was disabled and the door was partially disabled. Breakfast was minimal at best, just enough to be called a breakfast. Redeeming asset was the ERIE Resteraunt in Port Jervis. Prime Rib special on Wednesdays. A cute little town that time passed by.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BBrantze

Been to Days Inn Port Jervis? Share your experiences!