“Absolutely Horrible”

Danford's Hotel & Marina
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Port Jefferson
Reviewed January 15, 2007

I don't even know where to begin. We were staying at Danford's with a large group to attend my father's retirement party. The first problem we encountered was that all of us in the "group" were scattered all over the property. My husband and I were in building "J", across the street. When we hauled our luggage across the street and up the flight of stairs, our "safe, electronic" keys did not work. They sent "engineering" up to our room with 2 new keys which also did not work. So we waited for them to figure out what to do with us and were eventually moved downstairs. The room, although large, was far from being "luxurious" as stated in their description. The ceiling was falling apart from water leaks, the tub was also faling apart and moldy. We had a back door that was unable to be opened, but from what we could figure must lead to an a/c and heating unit as it was extremely loud when it kicked on and off all night long. Remote control to the TV did not work, sink did not drain, pillows were the flattest ever made, chain lock was broken off of door jamb (I dont want to know why). On Friday night, there is a club in the main DAnfords building. Parking is next to impossible, and when I parked in what I thought was a space, a man very rudely told me that it was not a space and that I will get a ticket. I told him that we were guests of the hotel and I don't know where else to park. He told me that this was a public parking lot and he's just telling me that I'll get a ticket so i better find another space. Much to my surprise when I realized that he was a valet parker, employed by Danfords! Apparently, a few of these "clubbers" spend the night at the hotel. And we had approximately 4 - 6 of them stay in the room next to us. It was then that we realized that the walls are paper thin, due to the fact that our "neighbors" seemed to be filiming their own adult video until 5 AM. We finally fell asleep around that time, only to be woken again at 7 am to the same noises. Later that day, we decided to take a nap due to our lack of sleep, only to find several things go wrong:

1. The room where our "neighbors" were, had turned in to housekeeping central with constant conversations in Spanish along with the Spanish radio station going for several hours. This occured for the rest of our stay.
2. Apparently housekeeping did not speak English, because when she knocked on our door and said she was housekeeping, I said no, thank you, we are sleeping, she used her Master key and opened our door!! While we were in bed trying to sleep! She asked again, No housekeeping? and I said NO!
3. The noise from people going up and down the stairs in this building made it impossible to get any rest at all.

One morning i took my 2 year old Nephew to the lobby to have breakfast at 8 am. There was one other person in there, so you'd think the service would be great. WRONG! I actually had to track a server down to ask them for milk for my nephews cereal. And then again, to get more iced tea and yet again, to get my bill. All of the servers were sitting in the bar rolling silverware. When I got my bill, they charged me 13.95 for a continental breakfast, which they changed after I pointed out hte mistake.

Another morning, Since there was no ice machine to be found anywhere in our building, I ordered 2 pitchers of iced tea to be delivered to our room, with ice. I got charged $13.00 for two pitchers of iced tea. Last time i checked, iced tea was made with water! In addition, to our room service tray stayed in our room for 2 days.

So to make this long story even longer, the last night of our hotel stay, we were awakened at 7:45 am to somebody opening our door. When my husband and I both startled awake and looked at the door, it was slammed shut. When I ran to the door to put the chain lock on, that was when I realized that it was broken off. When we complained to the front desk about this, we were asked if it was an employee. Does it matter? It had to be someone with a Master key! I've never been in a hotel where someone just bursts in with no knock or anything at 7:45 int he morning and then slams it shut.

And finally, upon checking out (yay!), we were charged the wrong price. It was $10 more, per night, than what we were quoted. I complained and he took $30 off. I told him we stayed 4 nights and it should be $40 off, he sighed and re-did it, but he did not seem happy. I also complained about the $5 per day resort fee that they charge, but they would not take it off. Even though they could not explain to me what exactly it is for. When I asked to speak to a manager on Duty, I was told that i had to speak to Maria, who was not around at that time. Funny, when the front desk clerk went to the back office and was talking to "Maria" about our quoted room price.

All in all, this was the worst stay I have ever had, ANYWHERE, and I travel quite a bit. I asked for the General Managers business card, so I will be contacting him. My father said that this hotel is up for sale (not surprising), and therefore the service and quality has gone down hill. I hope this place gets demolished and replaced with new hotel. ANd that they do not re-hire the same employees.

• Stayed: January 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank Allikat745

Reviewed October 15, 2006

We stayed one night in September. Our room in the building across the street, was clean and comfortable. Staff were friendly and helpful. Best part is the location on the harbor and in the center of town.

• Stayed: September 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank BR120603
Reviewed August 9, 2006

We stayed one night mid week at Danfords.
We took a chance and just went to the hotel without reservations.
They gave us a good rate of $159. for a king room overlooking the harbor. The room was spacious and clean, and the view wonderful. The room was D10. Parking was no problem, because it was midweek. I can imaging that the weekends are a different story.

• Stayed: August 2006
2  Thank Lizard234
Reviewed July 1, 2006

I stayed at the hotel over the long weekend for one night. It was a last minute thing and fortunately they had some last minute availability. I will tell you that they do negotiate their rates if you call; I was quoted $189 and eventually got them down to $109 for a king room.

The location is fantastic...although if you arrive during the day parking can be a challenge since they don't have a private lot. At night they do valet and they'll move your car to an available spot over night.

The most annoying thing was the "resort fee" they tried to assess me when checking in. While it was never mentioned on the phone, while checking in it was on the form you sign... a little line you must initial saying you agree to the $5.00 resort fee which includes parking and use of the gym. Mind you, this is not a resort by any stretch. I felt this was unfair since it was never mentioned on the phone. The hotel worker took a bit of an attitude with me saying I was free to leave and turn down the room. Of course, that was not an option so I explained my frustration and insisted on speaking with the manager. The clerk went to find the manager and returned a few minutes later saying the manager said he could waive the resort fee. So, speak up if you are unhappy with this policy.

At first I was assigned room C-2, a tiny room on the first floor facing the main street. Upon entering the room I was hit with a very strong odor of mold. I don't know what caused it, but can only assume it was due to the high humidity. The carpet was actually a bit damp. So, I demanded a room change and was moved to G-21, a beautiful queen bed room on the third floor of the building across the street. This room was much larger and didn't smell! In addition it had a little bit of a water view and a working wood fireplace (not necessary in the summer of course). The bed in this room seemed like a murphy bed, but it was comfortable enough.

I would stay there again, especially for the rate of $109 (and no resort fee :) ). Some of the staff are incredibly friendly while others are not. And, there is a great candy store around the corner!

• Stayed: July 2006
8  Thank spinner3
New York, NY
Reviewed June 1, 2006

My wife and I stayed at Danford's for our anniversary on May 31st. We checked in late, and received a free upgrade to a queen-suite with a balcony and a waterfront view. The room was amazing - especially the balcony.

The only downside came when I tried to use their wireless internet the next morning for some business I needed to attend to. Unfortunately they have some odd WiFi system that doesn't work with Macs, so I was up the river with no paddle. They kindly put me through to their offsite tech support, who were extremely knowledgable, but admitted that this was a known issue with some Macs and that they hadn't solved it yet.

Overall it was a great stay - but business travelers beware - make sure you have a backup in case their wifi doesn't like your laptop!

Stayed: May 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Glen Cove, NY
Reviewed January 5, 2006

I live in Glen Cove, NY, about an 1 1/2 from this Hotel, and I had never heard of it. When I got there I was AMAZED! I work all week and visited for a little 3 day getaway somewhere not too far. I felt like I was on Vacation!! The summer of Port Jefferson is bustling town, with people walking from shop to shop and ice cream and just wonderful sight, and Danfords is the unofficial hub. I got there on a Friday night, to my surprise they have a nightclub, I think "Aqua", I decided to take a look, ended up spending six hours up there! Great crowd, late-20's to 30's, great bartenders, "Darren" was too charming. Had lunch Outside in the restaurant, they have a tremendous outside deck, unbelievable view. Had one of the best frozen drinks I have ever had, some funky name, and food was terrific. Piano player outside plays requests, ask for his own music, unbelievable! Service from beginning to end was perfect, especially the bartenders, never had the same one twice, but they were all great. I never knew I could have such a great time so close to where I live...saved me money on gas too!

• Stayed: July 2004
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Columbus OH
Reviewed November 10, 2005

A group of 8 or so Ladies met here for the weekend. Many of us were from states and countries elsewhere! Ohio, Canada, Missouri, Michigan, California, New Jersey and even a couple New Yorkers.
I was so pleased with our room. The breakfast buffet was well worth the price. My custom made omelet was delicious.
We stayed 2 nights and used a meeting room and even had a catered meal. Everything was wonderful.
We are planning another get Together in Spring of 07 and you can be sure it will be here at Danfords on the Sound !!

• Stayed: November 2005
Jake's 58 Hotel & Casino
Hyatt Regency Long Island
Hyatt Regency Long Island
#1 of 4 in Hauppauge

Been to Danford's Hotel & Marina? Share your experiences!