“You can't beat the location!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Danford's Hotel & Marina

Danford's Hotel & Marina
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Port Jefferson
New Haven, CT
“You can't beat the location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

If looking to spend a night in the downtown area of Port Jeff, nothing beats the convenience and amenities of Danfords! We had only stayed as a transient on our boat in the past, so this was our first time with a hotel room and we were pleased. The grounds of the hotel are well taken care of, the staff is friendly and polite, the Wave Lounge is a great place for a post dinner martini while listening to jazz music and winding down. The rooms are a bit generic and modest. They are clean and updated but not with high end furnishings. They are plenty comfortable for a good night's sleep after a long day of sights, shopping, good eats and drinks in town!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Talia F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Korean first
Rye, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

I pulled in without a reservation. I was met by dockhand to help neatly tie up. David the dockmaster and staff was friendly and knowledgeable of the area which lead to to a great breakfast restaurant that my family and I are sure to return to. It is a shame we discovered the Dansford Marina so late in the season but we are sure to be back next year!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Selden, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at Danfords several times over the past few years. I have learned that the quality of room you get is hit or miss depending on which building you end up in. FYI, Danfords' property is a series of buildings - the main building with the front desk / lobby and the restaurant / lounge as well as severral buildings with the actual rooms in them. On our first stay, our room was in the Edgewater building. It was a nice room with a balcony and partial view of the harbor; good experience all around. On another stay, however, we were in the Jetty building, which is a very old, worn-looking building that is in dire need of repair. We had to climb two sets of wooden stairs, lugging our belongings. There were bugs in our room, and the room itself was old and in need of repair. We complained and got a $75 credit. On our other stays at Danfords, we chose a fireplace room. The fireplace rooms are in the Galley building across from the main building. These seem to be the nicest rooms at Danfords, so we always book a fireplace room so we can be in the Galley building (even in the summer when the fireplaces are not operational). The Galley building has an elevator, and there is a room on the first floor with vending machines and an ice machine.

As far as food at Danfords, the WAVE Restaurant has excellent food for lunch and dinner. Great selection and delicious food. My favorite dinner entree is the salmon. Breakfast is average. Monday through Friday, continental breakfast is included with your room (pretty decent - pastries, rolls, fruit, cereal, yogurt, hard boiled eggs). On weekends, there is a breakfast buffet with an omelette and egg station.

Whenever we stay at Danfords, we get the Classic Elegence package: In addition to your room, you get a four-course dinner at the WAVE Restaurant, full breakfast, champagne in your room, and late check-out (1:00 PM). It is an excellent value. Again, we book the package with the fireplace room.

So... let the buyer beware. My husband and I love Danfords because we've learned what kind of room to get. Your satisfaction will depend on what building you stay in.

Room Tip: Book a fireplace room in the Galley Building or book a suite in the main building.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Michelle W
Miller Place, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

I live local but I was invited to a family baby shower here at Danfords over the weekend. My sister was coming in from upstate for it so we got a hotel room for the night and I stayed with her for some sisterly bonding. The whole experience was amazing! I've been to downtown Port Jefferson before... but never actually stayed at the hotel. The Shower was flawless... great service and wonderful food. The room was facing the water so you really got to experience the location... and they even had little cocktail tables outside that we used to soak in the beautiful day! After the shower we walked around downtown and enjoyed the area. Our room had two beds plus a couch! We sprung for the upgrade of the water view too... definitely a nice touch when you're walking out of your door and see an amazing view of the water. The front desk staff were wonderful and accomodating. We even slipped into the restaurant for breakfast in the morning. Not a bad price for a nice hot breakfast! All in all, I loved my mini-local vacation. Definitely a nice way to end my summer!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

We just spent Labor Day weekend at Danford's, and attended an engagement party, there.

We were a bit nervous, based upon reviews that we had read, but were very pleasantly surprised. When we called to make the reservation, we told them that we were a couple traveling with a young child. They advised us that they would give us one of their larger rooms, with two queen sized (or double) beds. The room (A4) was very large, indeed. Though it did not have a warter view, it was newly reovated. The beds wer super-comfortable, the bathroom didn't have a tub, but had a rain-forest shower with plenty of pressure, and the room was quiet and close to the party. By the way, although the party was just down the hall, and the music was loud in the ballroom, our room was very quiet, and our son had no trouble sleeping.

The hotel is dated, but very nice. The room where the Engagement Party was held was beautiful, with 270 degree views of the harbor and ferry slip. The food at the party was good, and the service was again, very friendly and efficient.

All in all it was a great stay, and if we are off to the North Fork again, we would return.

Room Tip: Ask for a description of the room - our's A4 was great although the beds are not king-sized.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jon Z
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

I threw my sister a bridal shower at Danfords the last week in July. I grew up in Port Jeff, but now live in Florida. So when it came down to planning I contacted several places, and ultimately decided on Danfords. I worked with Christine and the whole shower was planned through e-mails and phone calls. The first time I saw the room in person was the day before the event. She was great, sending me pictures, and answering any question I had. It was anhuge success. The shower was beautiful, the views were awesome, the food was amazing, and the service and attendants were great. They are a little on the expensive side, but comparable for the area, and you get what you pay for. We had such a great time, that one of our guests plans to use Danfords for an upcoming occasion. I would definitely use them again and recommend them highly.

Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Lex N
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

My wife and I stayed for one night and found the rooms very clean and pretty and air conditioning worked Crazy good! Was like a meatlocker when we entered the room..LOL..had to turn it down. Very confortable beds and the shower is exceptional. Trevor at the front desk was very polite and helpful he is a great Staff member..all staff were also helpful but hes great!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hyatt Regency Long Island
#1 of 4 in Hauppauge
Hyatt Place Long Island East End
The Inn At Fox Hollow Hotel

Been to Danford's Hotel & Marina? Share your experiences!