“A mixed bag.”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Port Jefferson
Orlando, Florida
“A mixed bag.”
Reviewed October 3, 2011

This is a big, sprawling complex made up of many buildings. The building I stayed in was across the street from the registration area. When given directions to my room, nobody in the front office asked if I needed assistance with my luggage. This was odd since there were steps leadng to the building and I had several bags. The front desk clerks didn't seem to be well-trained. On the upside, the shower was fantastic and the bed extremely comfortable. I understand from others that the handicapped-accessible rooms weren't as accessible as they should have been, i.e. a bathtub that required stepping over the side to get in.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Deborah B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 6, 2011

I stayed one night here and it was a great room. The staff was helpful, and the location is great.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Babylon, New York
Reviewed August 27, 2011

My friend and I stayed here one night and took advantage of their diva spa package. The hotel itself is in an ideal location, you could walk to anywhere and everywhere. I loved the layout of our room. Our beds were seperated by the bathroom so we each had our own TV and privacy. The downside of our stay was the street noise that I heard since my bed was closest to the windows. The other complaint I had was one of the AC in our room was so noisy we had to turn it off and then it sounded like a gurgling loud fish tank all night. It wasn't the best night sleep becasue of this. There is no tub which I was looking forward to taking a bath. Overall I wouldn't let these things deter me from staying there again though for a short trip.. The spa was wonderful, I loved everyone who works there and loved the service. I live about 45 minutes away and will be making the trip back just to go to the spa for a massage or facial.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Albany, New York
Reviewed August 27, 2011

The Danfords includes eight separate buildings next to the harbor and the rooms can vary significantly. It can be a 3-star to a 5-star experience depending on the room type and room location.

If you don’t like hearing a ferry’s air horn every hour, avoid the Danfords. But, I love it. Port Jefferson truly has the feel of an active port village.

If you want the 5-star port village experience, request a room with a private balcony and a harbor view.

If you have mobility issues or you are annoyed having to walk outdoors to your room then request a room in the Admiral (A) building which houses the hotel’s lobby, bar and restaurant. The buildings are in alphabetical order as you move further away from the A building. The Beacon (B) is the closest followed by the Captain (C), Driftwood (D), and Edgewater (E) buildings.

The Jetty (J), Galley (G) and “1897” buildings are on the other side of East Broadway and may have odd views of the neighbors’ backyards. Avoid these buildings if you care about your view.

The rooms in buildings B, C, D, and E are somewhat similar. Half will have views of the harbor, while the other half will have more respectable views of the village compared to the J and G buildings.

The E building has several “village view” rooms that actually have good views of the harbor from their 2nd story balcony entrances. If reserving the cheapest rooms, I totally recommend requesting the 2nd floor of the Edgewater (E) building because you can sit outside your room on a semi-private balcony and enjoy a somewhat good view of the harbor and village. But, if you end up on the 3rd floor, be sure to request another room since you’ll have to climb many stairs and may not have any kind of balcony view. But, the 3rd floor does have a suite on the end, which has one of the most secluded and private balconies overlooking the harbor.

For $7/day, the Danfords will give you a hangtag to park in the municipal lot near the hotel. While the lot is right next to the A, B, C, D, and E buildings, each spot is public paid parking. On weekend evenings, the spots will fill up. If you venture out by car, prepare yourself: you may have to park a few blocks away in a municipal lot.

I recommend venturing out by foot. There are many restaurants and shops within 5 blocks. In the evening, Port Jefferson will have many grown-ups and families walking around, but the village is also popular among local teenagers (think of your local mall on a Friday night). This is not the Village of Southampton, but it does have great charm. In my opinion, it is the best place to stay on the North Shore of Long Island. If you like to get around on foot or bike, it simply a great place to stay.

There are two intangibles that make staying at the Danfords and Port Jefferson special to me:

First, the continental breakfast is served in the restaurant, which has great views of the ferry loading area. When departing on the ferry, one can just wait while eating danishes and drinking coffee until the next ferry arrives. You don’t have to rush because you’re parked about as close as possible to the drive-on entrance. We usually drive up 15 minutes before the ferry departs, which cuts down on the “hurry-up and wait” that often occurs when one is trying to catch a particular ferry.

Second, Port Jefferson is far enough east that you can find low-traffic routes to the south shore and entirely avoid the L.I.E. and the Sunrise Highway. But, it’s not so far east that you have to choose between the truly rural North Shore or the truly expensive South Shore.

I was reluctant to write such a positive review because I do not want others to consider this gem of a hotel/location. In fact, I suspect that a few of the negative reviews are regular Danfords guests that want to keep the crowds and newbies away.

4 Thank ebreimer
East Greenbush, New York
Reviewed August 26, 2011

This year we stayed at the Danfords Hotel for the third time. It was, again, a fantastic stay. The hotel and marina are adjacent to the Bridgeport-Port Jefferson ferry dock, which is very convenient for us because that is how we get to Long Island.

We were able to gain access to our room immediately since we arrived well past check-in time, but a family member who arrived two days after us and was only staying one night was able to check-in at 10am. That made this person's stay much more comfortable, as we wanted to spend the entire day at the beach.

The first thing I noticed in the room was an ipod/itouch charger. This was hardly necessary, but a nice touch and something very appreciated.

The room was a little larger than a standard room with two double beds at a chain hotel. We opted for the Village View room because we'd have plenty of views of the water during our stay. The beds were comfortable and clean and we enjoyed the flat screen tv after full days at the beach and visiting family. The nautical decor was very tasteful and I loved the closeup pictures of ships in our room. The bathroom was very basic but the huge shower head was wonderful. The shower also had a ledge where you could sit and it was great for bathing very sandy children.

The breakfast was more than adequate with choices of yogurt, fruit, bagels, cereal, hard boiled eggs, juice, coffee and a nice tea selection.

The location of this hotel is superb. Just walking around the marina, looking at the boats, and watching the ferry come and go is wonderful and relaxing. The restaurants and shops of Port Jeff are a few steps away. And, of course, the beaches on the south shore are only a half hour away.

We only had a very few minor issues with the hotel. First, the hotel is right in the town, so it can get noisy outside. The air conditioner was very loud, and though it can drown out the noise outside, I imagine it might be annoying to some. The WIFI wasn't great; it was good for a hotel, but you could not get it in the dining room. Finally, their cable provider was Cablevision, I believe, but they did not have the YES network, which was disappointing for us. But, these things are minor and I fully expect to stay at the Danfords next year.

Rumford, Rhode Island
Reviewed August 26, 2011

Stumbled on this gem as the result of a last minute change in plans. I would put it right there with The Three Bridges as the best places in the Stony Brook area, Can't go wrong with either.

The details:

- Property is spread amongst several buildings, one of which is actually across the street (very easy walk)..

- Lobby has a nautical feel with teak wood, brass, stonework and low ceilings. Very inviting.

- Stayed in G-19, a basic room in the building across the street. Room was huge.

- Bathroom had granite counter top, large shower with seat in it. Modern faucet and sink. Good+ water pressure. Overhead rain shower-head.

- Bed linens and pillows were of the Heavenly Bed style. Mattress wasn't quite up to that standard but overall just fine.

- Excellent refrigeration, ah, air-conditioning. Since I love a colder room and was sans wife for this adventure I was a thrilled.

- TV is a bit small for such a large room but is that a complaint or a compliment? Wing-back style chair sits in front of it. Your bed is a good distance away. Nice desk area,
large amoia (sp?) and plenty of mirrors.

- Restaurant (Wave): Excellent and they get all the money for it. $37 sirloin, $21 for chicken. Fine by me. Good wine glasses, comfortable seating. Nice view of marina.

- Service throughout the hotel could be stepped up. Not so much in ability or competence but in approachability and friendliness. This isn't Four Season's pricing and it shows a bit in the staff more than it does in the rooms and overall resort quality. No big deal to me.

- Parking is ample and easy to access. $7 a day. Fine by me.

I paid $129 plus taxes and fees. Good value. I'll be back.

- Gym is small but has dumbbells and cardio equipment - workable to me.

1 Thank DeansDesk
New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed August 22, 2011

First of all, Port Jefferson on a weekend in summer is a lively, bustling place. If you expect it to be quiet and relaxed, you would be wrong. It is almost as busy as the Las Vegas Strip! However, our room at Danfords was really very nice. It was stylish, large and very comfortable. The bathroom was probably the nicest I have ever experienced in a hotel. Unfortunately, the rooms with two beds only have double beds and not queens, which is a little disappointing, especially since there was enough room for two queen size beds. Also, it was very noisy - from people walking by, music and party noise, and traffic. Our room was on the street side, but I imagine that the more expensive rooms on the other side of the buildings would be a bit quieter, but I am not sure how much quieter. I would stay here again and would recommend it to others, but would maybe try to avoid Saturday nights in summer, and would upgrade to a room away from the street if I could afford to.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Jefferson
#1 of 4 in Hauppauge
Hampton Inn Long Island - Brookhaven
Hyatt Place Long Island East End
Hotel Indigo Long Island - East End

Been to Danford's Hotel & Marina? Share your experiences!