“nice meal but expensive”
Review of The Fifth Season

The Fifth Season
Reserve with OpenTable
The Fifth Season is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Mariners Way
Description: Local farms and waters are the inspiration for this New American restaurant that focuses on preparing menus using ingredients that change with each season. American microbrews and wines are carefully selected to pair with each dish our chefs create. Enjoy our House-Infused Artisanal Cocktails made with seasonal purees and fresh squeezed juices while overlooking the Long Island Sound on either the outdoor patio, upstairs seating or cozy lounge. Established in 2004 in Greenport, this Zagat top-rated restaurant for both food and service moved in Spring 2008 to Port Jefferson harbor.
Huntington, New York
“nice meal but expensive”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We probably should have taken advantage of the prix fixe meal, which is valid even on a Friday night, but I wanted to try something that wasn't on that menu. The staff were very nice, unfortunately there was some mix up and our appetizers took forever but the hostess graciously offered us both a free glass of wine. I had an artichoke appetizer which was very nice, the dressing on it reminded me of French salad dressing, and the Colorado lamb duo was very good which came with a light carrot puree and minted peas. My key lime tart was a bit bland.

It was a very nice meal, not spectacular, not sure it was worth what we spent, but I would dine here again to try the other menu items but next time stick with the fixed price meal.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank fireflymd

Springfield, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“No Leftovers!”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

My family dined here on a Friday night with young grandchild. We had reservations and were seated upstairs at a round table with ample space (rather than being shoved in a corner). A cosy fire in the gas fireplace enhanced an atmosphere of relaxed dining, served by an attentive, but not obtrusive staff. We shared an appetizer of gnocchi. They were very light and served in a wonderful duck bolognese sauce. The Caesar and Field Green salads (with pears, almonds, and bleu cheese) were fresh and beautifully presented. Two of us ordered the short ribs. While the portions were not large, they were ample and fork-tender delicious! The swordfish and tilefish were also very fresh and well prepared. My cappuccino was served piping hot. Flourless chocolate cake was shared by two who wished they had ordered their own portions! This was our first visit to Fifth Season and we were impressed! We look forward to returning in the warmer weather. There is a large metered parking lot adjacent to Fifth Season. Another plus is the location, an easy stroll to the ferry..

• Visited March 2014
Middle Island NY
“Post Valentines”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

We were aiming to head to Fifth Element for a wonderful Valentines dinner on Saturday, Feb 15th. They had a special menu for Valentines day that they would hold for the 14th and 15th. On the afternoon of the 15th, the snow starts falling, hard! No one wants to go out for a lovely date in this, and worry about driving and realize they can't have one of those lovely martini's the restaurant is known for, so we called and rescheduled our reservations for the following evening. They did advise us that it would be regular menu on the 16th and we were fine with this.

We arrived early so we could sit at the bar and relax with a martini. I had the apple clove martini that I adore and this one didn't fail at all, again. My date had the pink grapefruit martini and I tasted it, and I know why I don't like grapefruit. Too much sour tasting for me, but he thought it was great.

We had a nice table by the fireplace, perfect for what happened next....it started SNOWING again! <Insert eye roll>. The restaurant was half filled for dinner this evening, our waiter telling us that a good amount of people had cancelled the evening before due to the weather and were there this evening as we were.

The food, never fails. Although everything was fantastic, I must admit this. I ordered the Pan Seared Local Sea Scallops, Maine Lobster, Mascarpone & Sweet Pea Orzo, Tarragon Oil Drizzle which was part of their Valentines menu and not the regular menu but was on special for the evening. The Scallops were pure perfection and I had no idea until I bit into one of these gems, that what I have been eating all of my life, was a mere lousy imposter of what sea scallops really should taste like. These were melt in your mouth, perfectly sauteed scallops and I doubt I will ever have scallops elsewhere again that can even compare.

We did not have a dessert as we were so full after the drinks, toast points with hummus, appetizers and entree but we did have latte's so that we wouldn't embarrass ourselves by falling into a comatose full tummy slumber in front of the roaring fireplace.

Five stars deserved.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Elinore
Mount Sinai, New York
“Cold winter night”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Went to dinner on Sunday night. The food and service were very good. We were two couples. Two of us had the Prix fix and two ordered from the regular menu.It was a cold Sunday night and the soup and fireplace was just what we needed.The restaurant is getting a bit shabby.

• Visited January 2014
3 Thank TerriJohn
Bayonne, New Jersey
“This Place Bolsters the Reason Why Never to Trust Zagats”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

The Fifth Season is mediocre at best. I recently ate at the establishment and tried the veal short ribs. It was nothing more than a bone wrapped in a blob of fat and disguised with lots of sauce. To add insult to injury, our cappuccinos arrived cold. Then when we tried to pay with a Visa gift card we received, we were told that it was worth 20% less than the amount stated on that piece of plastic.

This restaurant came highly recommended by the Zagats guide, but after eating here (as well as a few other Zagats recommended places that turned out to be duds), it's clear that the reviews in that book are written by culinary amateurs who have little to no idea what truly great food is.

• Visited December 2013