“Wonderful Place”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Jefferson
The Ransome Inn B&B
Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband was having minor surgery at a hospital in Port Jefferson, and I wanted to stay nearby at a place appealing and comfortable enough that it would brighten his spirits.

The Ransome Inn would be lovely in any circumstance, but even in February [and a month later, when we returned for second part of the procedure], it was delightful. Port Jeff is a delightful small waterfront town, and the Inn is a fairly short walk from the beginning of it. (Well, that's a short walk up and down a very steep hill, but if you like exercise ....)

Dan and Barb were incredibly accommodating. Since we had to leave for the hospital by 7am, Dan held breakfast for me for several hours and kept me company while my husband was in the Recovery Room and I was feeling anxious.
On the second visit, he felt well enough to sit up and eat after I picked up him, so Dan made us both breakfast at 11 am.
We stayed two nights on each trip and felt like we were visiting friends. The owners were warm and welcoming and delightful company. And they run beautiful B&B, with lovely rooms and a wonderful location. No matter what kind of questions we asked, they helped us figure out exactly what seemed to best match our preferences -- and were invariably right.
I'm not expecting to need the nearby hospital anymore, but liked Port Jeff and the Ransome Inn more than enough to look forward to returning under "real-life" circumstances.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank carly5

Reviewed June 25, 2012

On the spur of the moment we decided to get away for the weekend and took a chance on this bed and breakfast. What a wonderful experience it turned out to be. The owners were great hosts and very friendly. Because it's pet friendly, our dog, Dexter Morgan, also had a great time playing with the owners' four lovely dogs. They were very informative as to where to go in town and where to eat. We were in the room over the garage and it was just beautiful, very spacious and really clean. Absolutely no pet smells or spots anywhere. The next morning we had a great breakfast which consisted of fresh fruit, granola, cream cheese and homemade banana bread which was out of this world. I would definately recommend this place and we will definately be going back.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JoanT760
Reviewed October 22, 2011

The suite was amazing, the owners were extremely friendly, and the breakfast was fantastic. Only a short walk to downtown.

• Stayed: October 2011
3  Thank Brian B
Reviewed May 20, 2011

We stayed at the Ransome in May of 2011 while on a continuing trip from North Carolina to Maine via car, rail, ferry and lots more rail. We stayed at the Ransome so as to catch the ferry to Bridgeport.

He picked us up at the train station, gave us a quick tour of the town, pointing out places to eat and see then took us to their place. Because I had spinal problems, he went out of his way to help with the luggage. That evening, realizing I couldn't walk back into town and back with my problems, we asked if they would mind if we ordered in a pizza. Not only did they not mind but she set up the table for us and provided the drinks.

In the morning after cooking us a delicious and eye-catching breakfast, she took us to the ferry terminal.

I would not hesitate to stay there at any time as they were so wonderful to us, so accommodating to my disability as well as our schedule changes and were outstanding hosts. The place is excellent! Stay there if in the area. You will not regret it.

One limitation: While the walk into town is easily doable, for someone with a back problem, you will need to take a taxi and $9+tip is way too high for such a short distance. There is a Suffolk County bus between downtown and the Ransome but their schedule is completely fictional.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Mish_the_Fish
Reviewed August 14, 2010

We had only 1 night to go away and this inn accepted one reservations. As the innkeepers have pets-they tell you this at the time of booking, and I have allergies, we stayed in the "carriage house," which looked like just a room over the garage. Turned out it was a well-appointed beautiful studio apartment. Breakfast the next day was a two course gourmet meal, and Barbara graciously accommodated seating us outside apart from the other guests in order to keep space between me and her cats. Would be happy to return here and while away more time in Port Jeff.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank margyrita
Reviewed August 12, 2010

Barb and Daniel were the hosts with the most. Our room was spacious, beautiful and clean. Not at all far from town, and definitely worth checking out. -Lisa and John, Merrick, NY

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lisanap8
Reviewed November 20, 2007

I stayed 10 nights at the Ransome Inn in November 2007 whilst visiting Stony Brook University. My stay was very pleasant. Barbara and Dan make good hosts - they have travelled widely and are good conversationalists. Barbara is a good cook and was happy to accommodate my vegetarianism. I enjoyed the home-baked muffins, cinnamon rolls, omelettes and quiche that she prepared for breakfast.

I stayed in the standard room which was certainly fine for one. The bathroom (which was for my exclusive use) was just across the landing and the shower was great. The room could get
slightly chilly at night in November, but extra blankets were provided. There was a fridge with sodas and some nibbles in the room. There was also a good TV (which I hardly watched). The house had wireless internet which was very useful for me as I had brought my laptop.

There were four small dogs and a few cats in the inn but they were very well behaved and enhanced my stay.

I was without a car and used the bus stop less than 10 minutes walk down the hill to catch a bus to the University. The Long Island Rail Road station (with connections to New York City and JFK airport) is 1.2 miles away along a straight, slightly sloping road. There seemed to be yellow taxis meeting each train so walking is not essential. The ferry to Connecticut is also just down the hill near the bus stop.

Stayed: November 2007
Three Village Inn
Three Village Inn
#3 of 3 in Stony Brook
Holiday Inn Express Stony Brook

Been to The Ransome Inn B&B? Share your experiences!