“Average at Best”
Review of Steamroom

Steamroom
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Reviewed May 29, 2014

This place seemed to be exactly what we were looking for: a simple informal seafood restaurant that serves fresh seafood near the water. Aesthetically, the Steamroom is great, it has a good vibe and the restaurant is right off the water and it's at the end of a great shopping section of Port Jefferson. You get to watch the ferries come and go and there is a lot going on. The tables at the restaurant are fine and you order at a counter and then wait for your number to be called and you get your food. We were primed, it all seemed perfect. The service was good, the order taker was patient and the food was ready relatively quickly. Unfortunately, the food was the most disappointing part of the experience. We are foodies, and LOVE seafood so the quality and preparation of the food is important to us. We didn't expect gourmet, just simple clean high quality seafood. The shrimp cocktail was very over-cooked and tiny, the raw clams were fresh but tiny (I know, some love littleneck clams but these were tinynecks). The clam chili was watery and very bland. The fried cod sandwich was over-breaded and inconsequential. The Mahi Mahi special platter was an over-cooked small filet that seemed to have been pre-frozen, the lobster roll had a lot of shrimp and king crab leg filler, the mussels marinara was served over a clump of stuck together linguini with too little marinara sauce to juice it up. The clams over linguini with garlic sauce was the best entrée.

I wanted to love it. It seemed to have everything, the right menu, the right location, the right vibe.....they just didn't get the food right which killed the whole experience.

There are newer reviews for Steamroom

Reviewed May 28, 2014

The Steamroom is a great spot to pop in for a meal, couples, families, friends, whatever the group is, whatever the occasion it's a good time.

My first trip to the Steamroom came 3 years ago after sailing into Port Jeff and needing a place close to grab a quick bite. The location is perfect, being right on the water and the restaurant has a retractable roof so on nice days and nights it is wide open.

I was shocked to see such reasonable prices which at first made me skeptical but once I sat down with my food it didn't take long for me to say that I would be back.

My favorites are the steamers, clams, mussels, shrimp, garlic bread, corn on the cob, lobster, and of course pitchers of beer. The best part is they have daily specials during the week that give you a reason to try everything at a reasonable price.

I recommend this to anyone headed to Port Jefferson, nothing fancy, just good seafood!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

this place is your typical beach side casual seafood restaurant. There is a counter, a giant menu board, lots of seafood options, a whole lot of fried stuff, lemonade, soda beer and wine available.

Having visited tens of places like this in the many beach towns I have been to, I thought this was an OK place. Most of the dishes are between $10 and $15, and I thought the portions were good for the price. I read some complains regarding the size of the dishes; believe me, if you are not the kind of person that gets excited when face with an "all you can eat" sign, you'll be ok, it is plenty of food.

The food was in the average side, nothing to rave about but descent.

The location of this place is great. Right across the street from the dock, with a great view of the water.

I would definitely eat here again. If you are looking for a quick and cheap lunch, but still want to enjoy some of the local seafood, this is your place.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

The Steamroom feels like a New England Clam Shack. You order at the counter. There is a wide variety on the menu from scallops to lobster to pizza. I had a decent lobster roll - nothing like a Maine lobster roll, but not bad. Price was 13.95$. The coleslaw was good, fries rather greasy and soggy. The nice view of Long Island Sound is a big plus. The outdoor casual seating makes eating with a toddler easier.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

i have been going there for the past 24 years and i am never upset with my food. i love it there and always will