“Great Conch Fritters” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Port Jefferson, New York
“Great Conch Fritters”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

I have been to Tequila Jacks twice and twice I had very good meals. Let me start off by saying I was reluctant to order the Conch Fritters as an app. because I anticpated being disappointed as I have had them all over the Caribbean, some spectacular, some not. Well these were spectacular! Full of Conch and very flavorful. We have enjoyed the Trinidadian Seafood Pelau, Citrus Teriyaki Skirt Steak and assorted specials. All were very good. The Mojitos are really good as is the music. Overall Tequila Jacks is a nice place with good food that truly reminds me of my trips to Caribbean.

• Visited May 2012

Mineola, New York
“Awesome, Awesome, Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stopped in for a few drinks in the afternoon, met the bartender, Jamie, who was great with advice and info. He suggested we come back that night for the raggae band. We took the advice, had dinner (which was delicious) and stayed for the raggae band. What a blast! Best raggae band I ever heard (been to the caribbean 7 times). Dance floor needs to be bigger to accomodate the crowd!

Visited April 2012
Connecticut
“great place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2012

We had appetizers and drinks here on a pretty Saturday afternoon. The windows were open, Caribbean music was playing. We sat at the bar and the bartender made me a great rum punch, although it wasn't on the menu. Had the calamari and the pineapple chicken skewers - both dishes were very good. bartender was very friendly. Wish we made it back for the live music later in the evening, but we didn't get there. Definitely worth a stop!

Visited April 2012
Smithtown, New York
“Fun place, decent food but had a bad experience....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

We went here for a family celebration in March of 2012, in a large group. The place has a really fun ambiance -sort of a Tommy Bahama, Key West feel. The service was good and some interesting caribbean inspired selections on the menu. They also have a great drink selection with some nice attention to detail (sugar cane spear in the mojito). On weekends they have live music... A reggae band was starting up towards the end of our meal.
Unfortunately we ran into some issues with the food that was ordered. My young son ordered a cheeseburger medium-well, and it came rare with the bun sopping wet in pink juices. It was kind of dark where we were sitting, so by the time my wife and I realized, he had already eaten most of it. Not a big deal really, but the poor kid was grossed out and it ruined his meal. I ordered the skirt steak, which was delicious. But about two bites in, I felt a shooting pain in one of my tooth fillings. I thought maybe I had bitten into a bone fagment in the steak. But after I pulled it out from between my teeth and took a look, I was shocked to find a metal staple! I'm not one to make a scene in restaurants over small service issues, but I called the waiter over and requested that he make the kitchen staff aware. He apologized and took the staple back with him.
Out of our large group, I think everyone else really enoyed their meals and had a fun evening. But this type of establishment should have better controls and management in place to prevent these types of issues. Furthermore I was dissapointed at not having received any kind of explanation or management apology for the foreign object in my meal that really could have been dangerous under different circumstances.
It's really a shame because I really wanted to like this place. But not sure I would ever go back.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank L0ngIsland_familyguy
Long Island, NY
“Looking for Someplace New...Try It!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2012

Tequila Jack's is someplace you must try, especially if you are looking for something a little different. The menu has a Carribean flair and the food is really good. The 'Calamari Two Ways' is awesome! The Citrus Teriyaki Skirt Steak is also excellent. Even the burger is really good if you want to keep the cost down. They have a drink called 'The Painkiller' that's very good. The only two things that I have tried and wouldn't order again are the Short Ribs and the Key Lime Pie. The Short Ribs lack flavor and the pie is too tart. Overall, this is a great place. Try it!

• Visited December 2011