“Sushi STILL Excellent!”
Review of Yama Sushi

Yama Sushi
Ranked #25 of 147 Restaurants in Plattsburgh
Reviewed January 1, 2019

This place never ceases to impress me. I can always count on this place for a decent selection of excellent sushi at a reasonable price. I tend to sit at the sushi bar as I'm usually alone SO the service is prompt. They already know which sake I prefer.

I got the Sushi and Sashimi Platter which has enough variety to keep me happy. I also got a few extra nigiri as I was hungry. I try to get selections that I DIDN'T get in the platter. I've become a regular and I intend to keep it that way.

Date of visit: December 2018

Reviewed November 23, 2018

I've been here a few times since my first visit and it keeps getting better. I came one night for some more sushi. I decided on the Sashimi Deluxe Platter. It was 15 pieces of fish: 3 tuna, 3 salmon, 3 abalone, 2 yellowtail, 2 albacore, 2 snapper. It came with Miso Soup and I got a side salad. They even remembered which sake I liked from my last visits. I was still hungry SO I got nigiri eel and scallop 2 pieces each. I thought that the $20 for the platter was reasonable considering ALL the sushi I got. I've never been disappointed SO I'll be back again.

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed November 21, 2018 via mobile

Finally, a legit sushi place in Plattsburgh. Great variety, delicious and fulfilling. Favorite is sashimi appetizer.

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed October 21, 2018

I had wanted to come here earlier BUT they weren't open when I wanted to. I stopped by another night and I was glad because the food and service were very nice. They had multiple types of unfiltered Sake and I got a bottle which was very nice. My entrée came with a bowl of Miso Soup which was very good. I ordered a side salad too which came with nice dressing.

I got the Chirashi which came as a platter instead of a bowl! It had about 16 pieces of fish which was nice for $19. I had good variety and it tasted great. It made me order some extra sushi nigiri in addition which also satisfied. I'd come back in a heartbeat.

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank 133charlesk
Reviewed August 21, 2018 via mobile

The taste of the food was “ok”, or I would rate this restaurant lower. Service wasn’t great, the staff is chinese and spoke Mandarin - we requested to sit at a round table in the centre of the restaurant and the server “asked” (loudly, all the way to the back of the restaurant) the boss (I am guessing) if it was ok for us to sit there. I suppose there were only 4 of us but the table could perhaps fit 5... The restaurant was not full, only 2 other tables were occupied the whole time we were there. There was Chinese music playing in the back ground, found that rather odd in what was supposed to be a Japanese restaurant....

The menu was largely Japanese but...as with everything else, not authentic. We ordered Salmon Teriyaki, some plain steamed rice to go with it, a California Roll (I asked if they had Temaki instead of sushi and received a blank stare...) and a vegetarian fried rice. The salmon teriyaki was actually plain grilled salmon with some teriyaki sauce on top, all sitting on a (large) bed of onions. Not very authentic but the taste was pretty good and the portion was generous. The serving of rice was really small, though...like a small scoop of ice cream... The fried rice was not very exciting. The California roll was a little dry and did not taste fresh - the rice tasted like it’s been prepared for a while and left out.
No green tea on the menu, just soda and juice....

Quite disappointed overall.