“Won't stay anywhere else.”

Holiday Inn Plattsburgh
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Plattsburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 30, 2011

I travel a lot for business and stay in many hotels and the Holiday Inn in Plattsburgh is the nicest and most comfortable by far. The rooms are modern and well equipped with a microwave, refridgerator, and a flat screen t.v.. Beds are very comfortable and the rooms are always clean. The restaurant has a descent menu with plenty of selections. I've never had a bad meal. The complimentary breakfast is a nice plus. The indoor pool and jacuzzi hit the spot after a workout in the fitness center or after a hard days work. The staff is always friendly and accommodating and quick to take care of any needs that I have. Just today my room card didn't work to open my door and the owner was right there to let me into my room which saved me a trip to the front desk. It's a real home away from home. When I'm in Plattsburgh it's the Holiday Inn for me. I won't stay anywhere else. So book a room with the confidence that it's worth the money. And look for Chocolate and Thunder when you're there.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
hiplbny, Manager at Holiday Inn Plattsburgh, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. We were delighted to hear that you were satisfied with your stay. We will be sure to share your comments with the staff. Please come visit us again.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Plattsburgh

Reviewed June 27, 2011

Very nice hotel, conveniently located right off I-87, on Highway 3. We were quite surprised by the quite negative reviews of the hotel, but the room we got on 4th floor was brand new, two queen beds, very clean, nothing negative at all to say. Staff at front desk and for breakfast were extremely nice. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review. We are thrilled that we were able to provide you with the an enjoyable getaway! We hope to see you again.

Reviewed June 17, 2011

The personel at the front desk were excellent. However we were told by three people, on the phone, that this hotel had just been remodeled.. There were new sinks in the rooms, that was it. Everything else was dated and old. The elevator carpet had an unfavorable odor, the 4th floor smell like smoke as did our room, which was supposed to be nonsmoking. The restaraunt was empty and undesirable. We did not eat there. The pool that was photographed to look like an olympic size, was small. The hallways were dark. When we tried to shut the curtains in the room to block the morning incoming sun, we saw they were made to look big, but really only covered 1/2 the window; no way to pull them shut. we won't stay there again. We feel what they told us before we came and how the online site showed them, was not correct. It was an oversell and we were underwhelmed.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank CindiFerguson
hiplbny, Owner at Holiday Inn Plattsburgh, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2011

Thank you for taking time to write review of our hotel. we're sorry that we did not exceed your expectations.we regret that we were unable to do this in your case. I can assure that we exceed Holiday Inn quality standards.It is true that hotel had just been remodeled. Perhaps if you had stayed before than you would have notice the difference. We do have lots of compliments from the guest for our renovation of the hotel. All the rooms has now new wall paper, new carpet, new funiture, new beddings,new 37 inch LCD TV and new bathrooms. Also all common area like pool,hot tub,restaurant,lobby,lounge,meeting rooms,hallways. We do have larger pool comapre to other hotels in plattsburgh, it is 25ft x 50ft. we do have 3 floors which are totally non smoking floor. Unfortunately you were on 4th foor which has only four smoking rooms which are at corner of floor. we hope up on your next trip we will have you on totally non smoking floor.Our rooms window do have black out behind sheers, which un fortunately you did not see it. Our resturant do have pick hours and down hours like other restaurant business.
I apologize that you did not have an overall good experience while you were with us. I would like to have the opportunity to discuss the review you posted of our hotel with you. Please cll our hotel at 515-561-5000 so that i may give you immediate assitance. We would love to have further details on what went wrong during your stay so we may correct any issue taht may linger and so that we can have the opportunity to set things right with you. We do apprerciate the feedback-good or bad. We're always striving to make the guest experience perfect. we take your satisfaction and our custmore service very serously. you are valued custmore and your input is appreciated. We hope you give us second chance.
Regards.

Reviewed June 8, 2011

I completely agree with the review below me. This hotel had me a little worried at first with the negative reviews, however I noticed the reviews all came during or before the hotel's renovations so decided to give it a shot. Honestly this hotel is a very small notch below some SPG hotels I've stayed at room wise. Beautiful furniture and TVs in every room. Good service, and even a free breakfast (which is very simple). Gym is quite small and has some older equipment but most hotels in the area don't even have a gym.

The hotel is also conveniently located near restaurants, malls, and the airport which many Quebecers (like ourselves) use to fly to Florida. Definitely recommend to anyone, whether you're staying before/after a flight or staying for a quick getaway !

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
hiplbny, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Plattsburgh, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2011

Thank you for writing trip advisor regarding your stay with the Holiday Inn Plattsburgh-Adirondack Area, NY. We realize you have many choices when it comes to lodging, and we sincerely appreciate your business.

We are always very happy when a guest contacts us about the wonderful service they have received. .

Thank you again for your kind words. We hope to have you as a guest in one of our hotels again soon.

Sincerely
Guest relation
Plattsburgh Holiday Inn

Reviewed June 4, 2011

Staying here 2 nights. Room is GORGEOUS!! Clean and new! Huge flat screen T.V. Bed REALLY comfortable (we are in a King bed room.) Staff are GREAT, smiley, helpful!! Breakfast simple but adequate. VERY happy we decided to stay here, even though I was a bit nervous after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor. Extremely fast wireless in the room! Restaurant next door, Mangia, is delicious!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tammyMontreal
Reviewed November 6, 2010

Oh, boy. I usually don't review hotels for business trips unless they are outstanding or extremely poor. Unfortunately, this hotel falls in the later category. When I walked in my mind said "run while you can!", but being a woman solo business traveler I didn't feel I was in a position to go hotel shopping at night. I should have. The renovations going on in this hotel are extensive, to say the least. It's filthy from construction dust. That, combined with the freeway noise and it's not conducive to any form or relaxation or quality sleep. The bar area is a temporary set up, and trust I've seen prettier set ups with less. Not to mention the TV blasting wrestling. They obviously don't care. The worst aspect was enduring the sneers and stares of the construcion workers, why would I feel safe here? I didn't. All this for $109 a night. Robbery. I beg them to properly advertise the extent of the construction and offer a fair rate for those who would choose this atmosphere.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank binti
hiplbny, Manager at Holiday Inn Plattsburgh, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2010

All I can say is, you checked into a hotel that you knew was under renovations and next to a highway, and then you complain about it for those very things even though it was apparent to you from the beginning. I read your profile and it seems you travel pretty extensively, and yet you complained that we should report on the extent of the renovations when those postings have been on all the websites we have any control over since the start of the renovations. Perhaps you just didn’t notice the renovation announcements when you booked the room. I can understand someone not enjoying their stay and having valid complaints, but being a veteran traveler and agreeing to stay and pay the rate after you had this foreboding just doesn’t make sense to me. Also, the bar is not a temporary setup, it is complete and renovated, and we turn the channel on the TV if you ask, maybe another patron wanted to watch wrestling, I don’t see how this means we don’t care. As for the construction workers sneering at you, I wasn’t there so I can’t exactly explain what happened, but my experience with them has been that they are professionals, they wouldn’t still be working here if it was any other way. Ma’am I’m truly sorry you didn’t enjoy your stay because we are trying to improve yours and every other guests experience here, I just don’t think we deserved the bashing for doing so.

Shane Hamlin
GSM

Reviewed October 18, 2010

I booked this hotel for a little get away that was relatively close to home since I don't have many days off and didn't want to drive far. I knew it was under construction but I was astounded at how bad the construction really was once I got there. Check in was not memorable but we got in to the room a little early which I was happy about. I booked a King Jacuzzi room so that I could relax and unwind privately. The room was standard and LOOKED clean. My boyfriend and I got in the tub and turned on the jets and noticed a bad offensive molding smell. It was so bad we had to get out only after about 10 minutes. It was really disappointing and we were in no mood to put on our bathing suits to go into the hot tub.

I decided around 7:00 p.m. to splurge a little and order dessert from room service. I called the extension (185) for room service and I got the front desk. I was a little confused but explained to them that I wanted room service. They asked me if I wanted to be transfered to the dining room. It was quite obvious that if I couldn't order room service from them that I'd very much like to be connected to them. They placed me on hold for close to 5 minutes. Then I finally was transferred and was greeted from the person in the kitchen with "oh, are you're the one who was trying to call for room service?" I gave her my order of chocolate chip cheesecake and the lava cake (they were out of the brownie cheesecake on the menu). Then she told me she was busy in the dinning room and said it was going to take a while. Fine. She calls up about 5 minutes later telling us that she no longer has the chocolate chip cheesecake and so I substitute raspberry.

The rent of the night was fine. The beds were comfortable but there weren't enough blankets. I had to call down for a blanket because there wasn't a spare in the room. The construction noise however was awakening when it started prior to the 10AM posting with the dumping of things in the dumpsters outside our window.

The most frustrating part about the experience was when I went to check out I told the person at the front desk (after waiting a while for them to notice me) about the tub experience and how disappointed I was. The gentleman that looked to be a manager told the woman to give me a 1,000 points priority club. I'm new to the club so I really didn't know what that meant so I took it as compensation and was fine. Turns out when I went to deposit it in my account and see to what I could get with the points that they were worth pennies and I couldn't even come close to getting anything for it. There was virtually no compensation and that they were just pacifying me.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dizzydue55
hiplbny, Manager at Holiday Inn Plattsburgh, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry you did not enjoy your getaway. We have found and fixed the smell problem from your hot tub. During renovations silt built up in the lines and started to smell but hadn’t become a problem that we were not aware of until your stay. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. Unfortunately, during that weekend we had a waitress pull a no show, and this is not an excuse, but I am sorry it did affect you stay. Holiday Inn sets the requirements on blankets and bed settings, and any Holiday Inn you go to will have the same setup, but you can always call down to the front desk at any Holiday Inn to request more blankets, pillows or whatever will make you more comfortable. As far as the 1,000 Priority Club points for compensation, you receive 10 points for every dollar you spend, so we technically gave you a $100 compensation. It is Holiday Inn that sets the point levels on the hotels and gifts, and it does take a while to accumulate the necessary points. Again I apologize that you decided to stay with us and did not enjoy your stay, but we are becoming better everyday with our renovations and they will be done in a couple more months. Thank you

Shane Hamlin