“Great hotel for Lake Clamplain area”

Best Western Plus Plattsburgh
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Plattsburgh
Saint Sauveur, Qc, Canada
“Great hotel for Lake Clamplain area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

This hotel was the only one we found online at the time of our weekend away and we went with the BW reputation. We were not disappointed. It was clean, comfy and easy to get in and out of. The room was really spacious and there was a mini-fridge. Breakfast was as expected, a buffet with eggs, bacon and lots of fruit choices and yogurts. There is also a waffle maker for those who are interested. We don't need more than that when heading out on the road.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bob S, Owner at Best Western Plus Plattsburgh, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and your kind comments on TripAdvisor. I hope we have an opportunity to serve you again on one of your road trips.
Safe travels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
San Jose, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed one night at this inn on our summer trip to Montreal. It has an impressive indoor swimming pool, by far the best indoor pool in all the hotels of its class. Kids loved it. The rooms a bit dated but the owner said they were in the process of upgrading the rooms. The free continental breakfast served quality items in a roomy breakfast room.

Room Tip: There is no elevator in this hotel so you may want a room in the ground floor for convenience.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank J X
I appreciate the time you use to provide feedback on my property through TripAdvisor. I am glad you enjoyed the pool and yes we have quite a few changes coming up in a few weeks. Construction of an elevator starts next week and we will be installing new public carpeting in two weeks. We expect shipment to arrive of 70 rooms of new furniture in a few weeks.
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

We stay at the this place about 20 times a year and each stay is for anywhere from 2 to 4 days at a time. Best Western would not give us our points for all our stays. They said the changed over the system and all our points could not be found. My parents also could not use their points at this hotel. So, don't bother with the points card and all that. It's just another scam like all the rest. Rooms are expensive and not negotiable like at the Comfort Inn. The only major complaints would be that they gym is outdated and it needs a lot of work. Less cardio equipment and more weights. My wife and I both workout daily and we have to walk across the street to the comfort inn and use their gym. One of the janitors gave us crap for having a plastic cup of wine in the shallow part of the pool. We were alone and we are adults and I think my wife can handle her glass of wine. I find it strange that the staff use the pool area to cut acroos to the rooms on the other side instead of walking around through the hall. Every few minutes the janitors and staff will walk back and forth right by the pool.

Worst thing that happened was my wife getting locked outside in her bikini in April. My wife went to sit by the pool and I went to the gym. When I got back about 1 hour later she was gone. I checked the room and pool area, but she was nowhere to be found. After about 30 minutes of looking I found her outside on the pool patio baging on the glass doors. She went outside for a cigarette and the women from the front desk locked the glass doors. It was 2 o'clock in the afternoon! My wife banged on the glass doors but she did not notice and she left the area. She had no towel and did not want to walk all the way around the building to the front desk with no clothes or shoes. She said she almost froze out there. I let the front desk guy know what happened and he laughed. He thought it was pretty funny.

Otherwise things are good at the Best Western. Staff is really nice and rooms seem o.k. Pool area should have some current music and not the elevator stuff.

Room Tip: Stay pool side if you can afford it. They are always empty. They should drop the price.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Bob S, Owner at Best Western Plus Plattsburgh, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and commenting about my facility on TripAdvisor.

I will attempt to determine the rationale on your reward points and correct any procedure or misunderstandings with our staff. That said there are policies and procedures we must follow to award and redeem points that are set up and published by Best Western International and we do follow them. The upgrade of our Property Management System had nothing to do with any problems you had with the reward system. I assure you I am not scamming you or any other guests.

Our rates are established for taking into account seasonal variances, numerous rate plans and programs as well as contractual rates for businesses that use our facility very frequently. We follow those rules as it seems to satisfy the vast majority of our guests and provides both our staff and guests with what I call rate integrity. I am sorry you were not happy with this.

Our gym is sized for the use of our hotel guest's only. My friend who operates the Comfort Inn has his facility open to the public and charges admission and fees to the general public for the use of that facility, We have commercial quality equipment consistent of three treadmills, elliptical, recumbent bicycle and a multi-station universal. I am sorry you feel it is not sufficient.

New York State law governing the use of our pool requires us to notify guests that alcoholic beverages in the pool is not allowed. I am sorry you felt the maintenance man was not addressing this properly and I will take appropriate corrective action to correct if he was not being polite. The staff has been encouraged to walk through the pool area as part of our pool safety plan. Since our pool is for the use of hotel guests only and not open to the public I want the area to be observed as much as possible.

I am sorry your wife was locked out of the pool area in April. Since the pool area is kept at the same temperature as the water at 84 degrees we do keep the sliding doors closed and locked during the late fall, winter and early spring. Having them open causes a huge draft in the pool and this is why our front desk attendant closed the door. I am sure she did not do so to lock your wife out. I apologize if the front desk attendant laughed at the situation and I will take appropriate corrective action to correct his behavior

I am sorry you do not like the background music I offer but glad you find us OK and our staff nice.

chateauguay
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

staff very professional and courteous, perfectly situated near all major stores, breakfast bar has everything a person could want, keeping in mind it is not a large eatery, grounds are well kept, the eatery in back of the hotel has two sides I encourage everyone to try both sides. last comment enjoy yourself. oh pool was great larger than most.

Room Tip: situated along major routes but very little traffic noise day or night best sleep I had at a hotel i...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for using TripAdvisor and your kind comments about my property. I am glad you enjoyed the Ground Round Restaurant and the pool. Safe Travels!
Pickens
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

B/W Plattsburgh NY is my number one hotel stop for the whole entire NE., staff sets the standard on how their hotel should be ran an maintained. After I re-enter the U.S. from Canada. Plattsburgh is my one and only hotel destination ounce I return. Thanks again for another outstanding stay an visit. Looking forward to my next visit. Shaun F..

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

It is always nice to have you return as a frequent guest. Thank you for taking the time to acknowledge the staff and their efforts in providing a clean and friendly environment.
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

This hotel is well maintained. Our room (113) was very quiet even though the Interstate is just a stone's throw away. Comfortable bed & adequate hot breakfast. Close to the Champlain shopping mall. Happy Campers!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank philindy
Bob S, Owner at Best Western Plus Plattsburgh, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Thank you very much for commenting on the quietness of the Inn and comfort of the bed set. I also appreciate you using TripAdvisor to comment on your stay. This is very helpful to the hospitality industry and i know it takes time for one to do so.
rhinebeck, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

The Inn at Smithfield in Plattsburgh is one of the best! Great pool, great fitness center, helpful staff, took my dogs with no problems, clean rooms, clean bathrooms, good rates and close to everything in Plattsburgh. I go to Plattsburgh at least 10 times a year and I wouldn't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Cara H
Bob S, Owner at Best Western Plus Plattsburgh, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you very much for your continued business, and for using TripAdvisor to provide feedback to us.

I am glad you and your dogs are comfortable and enjoy your stay.