“Great restaurant in chalenging market”

Anthony's Restaurant & Bistro
Ranked #1 of 132 Restaurants in Plattsburgh
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 12, 2013

A early dinner and a great experience! The wine list is good as you would find outside of NYC , priced well and selection as good. The bar man was very accommodating and knowledge on all matters. The first course was a well prepaired confit roll, a little oily, but great flavor. The Tuna Carpaccio was as rare ,raw, as one would except a bit over dressed, but outstanding. The main course of Pork Shank and mash potatos brought back memories of France. The plate that my wife was served, Shrimp and scallops risotto had a wonderful creamy finish. If there was one unsettling, and a falt in many restaurants, the specials are simply to long and to many dicriptive term for realy great food. Five stars is well deserved!!!

There are newer reviews for Anthony's Restaurant & Bistro

Reviewed February 24, 2013

We ended up in Plattsburgh after discovering that all the hotels were full in Burlington, VT. It had been years I didn't go to Plattsburgh and rediscovered that culinary desert. No good restaurant whatsoever. We finally found Anthony's online. It's not that the food or service is great... it's just that it's thousands of times better than anything around (it's really bad in this city). Would only the waiter dare take off the bread basket when it's empty or the chef understand that a fat steak doesn't need butter added on it and I would have given it a 5 (again, not because it's outstanding, but because it's what it deserves given the surrounding area). The decor is very charming and romantic (especially given the area... did I mention it?) and the place is very well maintained. It changes you from the fat fast-food around or the numerous buffets (did I mention it was a very bad place for food?)

Once again, if you go to Plattsburgh and crave for something eatable, just go there!

1  Thank MtlTraveler01
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

I ate there after a long day of driving on a business trip. Locals love this place & I'm certainly glad they welcomed me w open arms & tasty grilled calimari. Highly recommended.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

In an area not know culinary charisma, Anthony's stand out. Not spectacular, just good food, good service, and reasonable prices, especially in the bistro. Their homemade sausage on pasta is real treat. Headed for Montreal from New York and feeling a little peckish. If your timing is right, get off the Northway(87) at the Rt. 3 Plattsburgh exit and go left about 100 yards, Anthony's is on your right.

2  Thank McMoredocj
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Anthony's had been my go-to restaurant for 28 years until an unacceptable veal loin wrapped in home grown BITTER, past the season, basil leaves a year+ ago. The chef refused to acknowledge that a special he prepared, with his own ingrediants, could be unnacceptable. Reducing the bill was like pulling my own teeth. They'll comp a dessert but after an appetizer, salad, and a poor main dish the appetite is gone. Boycotted for a few months and returned just because of my wifes urging(not the chefs attitude). Had the special braised lamb shank last weekend. Over cooked mutton is not what I expected. I wasn't going to say a word because I didn't want to taint my wifes' enthusiasm for coming here, but my wife kept asking me what was wrong. When I reluctantly told her she said "you should tell them". The Chef once again appeared at my table defending the lambs' supplier and his preparation. "It couldn't possibly be overcooked, in fact I was afraid it was undercooked. My Sous Chef brought his father in yesterday and they both complimented me on this dish." That still didn't make it taste any better to me. I never send a dish with food still on it back to the kitchen but half went back 1/1/2013. Don't comp two drinks when a 29 dollar dish is the problem. Later! Specials here are not a good value. My wifes stuffed lobster special at 37 dollars was way too much for a small crustacian prepared with way too much bread. Now I am done. No more recommendations, no more biannual family gatherings, no more intimate celebrations. Is it worth not listening to a loyal customer (celebrated my 1st wedding anniversary and am going on my 30th) who is not gastronomically ignorant? Anthonys' has left a bitter taste in my mouth once again.

3  Thank Clifford S