“LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION”

Rip Van Winkle Motel
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Plattsburgh
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Excellent spot for the price. Close to the beach, rooms, office and grounds clean, staff is super friendly and helpful. room included mini fridge, microwave, color cable tv, large bathroom..internet..phone...air conditioning...felt very comfortable because everything was quiet at 10 pm...two thumbs up and 10/10..would definitely stay again and recommend to people...

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed August 3, 2012

Stayed at the Rip Van Winkle motel only because most other places were booked. The room was run down (large hair in the bed, candy wrapper on the carpet, bathroom dingy). From what I understand, the place gets some questionable characters as well. There were two positives to staying at the Rip Van Winkle Motel: the room had working air conditioning and the proprietor seemed like an okay guy. He at least allowed me to check out early without charging me when I changed my plans. But it was mostly a bad experience. When returning to my quarters at night at the Rip Van Winkle at nighttime, it was a little scary. I did not want to spend any lengthy period of time outside. I just preferred to get into my room and mind my business until it was time to check out the next morning.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. You're better off.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Jibjub M
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Blood stains on the sheets in one room. Had to change them myself. Took and hour and three trips to the office to get one of two TV remotes working. Everything in the room was filthy. Had to wear my shoes at all times. Room was hot all night. Had bugs crawl on me several times during the night. Tub drained very slowly (10 minutes to drain one inch of water). Called manager to have fixed. Reported back at 10:30 that night that it couldn't be fixed. Only one of us was able to take a shower in the morning as tub filled with water and wouldn't drain. Would have had to wait an hour or two for another shower. Wanted to get away as quickly as possible. This was the worst motel experience of my life, by far. And let me tell you, I've had some really bad ones. Unfortunately, this was the last room available in Plattsburg during Mayor's Cup. Should have just kept driving.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel, or even better, a different town.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank John M
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We had reserved a cabin and found mold in the bathroom and cigarette butts and broken beer bottles outside. It looked like a lot of people lived there and we ended up asking for another room. We got another room that was somewhat clean and comfortable but the blankets had holes and were very shabby.The room was very hot even with the air conditioner cranked. The place was sooo sketchy and we ended up staying and putting a chair up to the door due to the reason that the locks did not seem very reliable. The beds were uncomfortable and we will not go back again.

Room Tip: "Ask for extra pillows, and a comfortable bed maybe bring own blankets"
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank englishspringers
Reviewed September 24, 2011

We stayed there because we were visiting our daughter at college, and barely made it through the evening before packing up (in less than ten minutes) and booking out of there FAST! We drove home 4 hrs because we could not stand the thought of staying in that place one more minute. It is gross. I'm guessing people on welfare live there, because it seemed like people were just hanging out. The room was so tiny we could barely walk around. The outside looks filthy and run-down, and the room appeared dirty and old. Quite frankly I was scared for my safety, it looked so shady! I didn't even ask about getting my money back we were out of there so fast. I can't believe they rent rooms like this to people. From what I hear, many of the motels in Plattsburgh are like this.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank michel r
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We went here after spending the night at a much less desireable place. We stayed in a cabin and it was clean, cozy and the staff was so very friendly and helpful. It is close to my old hangout-Gus' Red Hots and it is still as good as it was 40 years ago!!!

Room Tip: I highly recommend the cabins. I didn't see the rooms but they are probably just as clean and co...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank cactuslady51
Reviewed July 31, 2011

My parents swear by this motel!!
The price is great and rooms are very clean.
They were spent there anniversary here,And got a beautiful room,and were treated with the most respect,thank you to all the staff for making there anniversary happy:)

• Stayed: July 2011