“Amazing find in Upstate NY”

Cumberland Bay State Park
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Plattsburgh
Cumberland Bay State Park
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Went for a random trip to Adirondacks in the beginning of October. Didn't realize it was going to be extremely busy in this region. Couldn't get a hotel but was able to get a nice campsite at the camp ground. It was nice and quiet. Beautiful views of Lake Champlain. Can't wait to go back again in the future sometime!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ashtray85

Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

Second year in a row that we've been at this state park. Friendly staff, quiet, great beach in which you can wade out at least 100'. Very close to Plattsburgh so shopping is close by. We go with our three kids and we didn't see them for most of the afternoon since they were having so much fun! And that's with NO electronic gadgetry, portable or not (no arcades or other commercial campground junk). Showers were basic but clean, same with the bathrooms. If you can, get the beachfront spots; they really are the best for the view and beach access.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank ScubaZone
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Cumberland Bay is a wonderful little beach. Although the swimming area is slightly small and the water can be a little rough, my family had a great time. The lifeguards were very laid back (no constant yelling about stuff like touching the rope) and the area was clean. There is plenty of room for building sand castles or just tanning. Also, the grounds above the beach are very well kept, with lots of picnic tables and places to simply look at the beautiful view. We will most definitely be returning and soon!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Nathol99
Reviewed July 11, 2012

If you're planning a nice, quiet camping trip, beware!!! You won't be able to sleep much, believe me. All night long we had to deal with boats, planes, cars and trucks. The Highway is less than a mile from the camping. At 4am, hundreds of seaguls were yealing at each other right until 7am, non stop. A real nigthtmare. On top of it, you have to watch for ticks!!! They're all over the place. DO NOT take your children out there. I have to admit that it's right by Champlain lake,so the view is very nice. Other than that...just forget about it. My own opinion, but believe me, I've seen many, many campgrounds and this one is obviously the worst.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Marc G
Reviewed May 15, 2010

The last time i went to cumberland was 8 years ago and went every years from 1984 till 2003 and i always had a great time had the site i always wanted never had problems with bugs,ticks or even flies, yes the beach was not veryclean what do you expect from a lake it`s not better at the ocean and plus it depends where your site is . I`ll never go to a site next to the road you get waken up by 5am because of the ferry traffic but near the lake is perfect . I personnally would go back again planning a camping trip there in the summer of 2010

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank ca9inn
Reviewed August 12, 2009

My g/f and I spent a weekend at Cumberland bay state park in august of 2009. I had already camped here in the past and had no issues. The goal of our trip was shopping and we were able to do that easily from this location. We are a short 10minute drive on I87 to plattsburgh and about 30-45 min drive from Burlington Vermont useing the Ferry.

Pros: Direct access to the beach, good sized camp sites, Very friendly and helpful staff, good rates, Near good shopping areas, Free Showers, 5minutes from the Ferry to Vermont, Inexpensive Wood for camp fires.

Cons: The beach had a lot of sea weed in areas, I guess this is normal for a lake. We had lot #7 on the far side near the street, there was lots of car movements every 30minutes at night when there would be a ferry leaving or arriving. I didn't mind myself but my g/f thought the cars made a lot of noise. People steal your firewood during the day if you leave it in plain site.

We were scared for ticks due to a previous review on here and the fact that they had tick warnings in the washrooms at the camp site, however we had no issues with ticks or bugs what so ever during our stay.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FieroAlex
Reviewed July 13, 2009

This was a great park to stay and camp very family friendly, clean, basic amenitys showers, bathrooms, laundry and lots of camp sights to choose from

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business